Notifications
Clear all

UK Custom taxes/fees

MemberMember
(@ellie713)

Posted : 07/05/2010 11:38 am

Just ordered Dan's starter pack and it arrived a few days ago. What I hadn't anticipated was the UK customs bill that accompanied it. The items cost $34.02, that's about ‚£22.51. The UK customs charge was ‚£12.14.

Eekkkkk! I noted from the label on the box, when I finally wrested it from my local sorting office operative and got it home, that had the contents been under ‚£18 (for VAT purposes) in value, I would have avoided the charge.

The exact wording is:

'Goods purchased and imported into the EU with a value over ‚£18 (for VAT purposes) and over ‚£135 (for import duty purposes), or goods imported from one private person to another private person as a gift with a value of over ‚£40, are subject to Customs charges.'

I'm just glad to get the stuff to be honest, but with more careful ordering I could have dodged the charge. One tube of Dan's BP costs $16.52, that's about ‚£10.93, which would presumably have no charge on it. However the big bottle costs $32.03, that's ‚£21.19, so that would attract the charge.

Moral of story, only order one tube of BP at a time, and make it the standard sized one. I think there are plenty of alternative options for cleanser and moisturizer available here within the UK. Hope this helps someone avoid the expensive error I just made.

MemberMember
(@del-xx)

Posted : 07/05/2010 11:47 am

Just ordered Dan's starter pack and it arrived a few days ago. What I hadn't anticipated was the UK customs bill that accompanied it. The items cost $34.02, that's about £22.51. The UK customs charge was £12.14.

Eekkkkk! I noted from the label on the box, when I finally wrested it from my local sorting office operative and got it home, that had the contents been under £18 (for VAT purposes) in value, I would have avoided the charge.

The exact wording is:

'Goods purchased and imported into the EU with a value over £18 (for VAT purposes) and over £135 (for import duty purposes), or goods imported from one private person to another private person as a gift with a value of over £40, are subject to Customs charges.'

I'm just glad to get the stuff to be honest, but with more careful ordering I could have dodged the charge. One tube of Dan's BP costs $16.52, that's about £10.93, which would presumably have no charge on it. However the big bottle costs $32.03, that's £21.19, so that would attract the charge.

Moral of story, only order one tube of BP at a time, and make it the standard sized one. I think there are plenty of alternative options for cleanser and moisturizer available here within the UK. Hope this helps someone avoid the expensive error I just made.

It is mad isnt it! I couldnt believe it when the postman gave me the slip to go pick it up! Its mad coz I ordered Acnescript from america and spent bout £30 and it got here in about 13 days and just got put through the letter box!! random isnt it! Dans stuff takes forever to arrive....still waiting for my AHA!!

MemberMember
(@jo1821)

Posted : 07/05/2010 12:46 pm

Yes i only ever now order the 8oz treatment now. It works out very expensive ordering the bp but is worth it. Only wish us in the uk could order the pumps with the custom charge as they are soo much easier to use!!

MemberMember
(@cherries)

Posted : 07/05/2010 5:12 pm

Hey Ellie!

I got hit by it too, I oredered the stater kit and my custom charge was ‚£18, Your right though about the cleanser and moitrizer, I hope we can find something here for us in the UK, because the postage and customs hit really hard! there so mean.

Cetaphil's now avaible in lloyds pharmcy think I might try that soon as my acne.org cleansers super low and I can't afford all the extra charges right now :'(

MemberMember
(@del-xx)

Posted : 07/08/2010 5:43 am

I had to o pick my parcel up yesterday and the guy there told me that if te price of the package was not on the box, we would not get charged!!

MemberMember
(@tigafer)

Posted : 07/08/2010 10:24 am

Alot of companies i have ordered from

in the states have either not put the price

on the box or lied about it so we dont get caught by the

customs charges, a bit cheeky i suppose but im not going to complain!

I just wish Dan realised if changed the system alot more people would be ordering from him.

MemberMember
(@ellie713)

Posted : 07/08/2010 12:55 pm

Yeah. I think companies have to be careful though, that they stay on the right side of the law.

It is annoying. The level at which the charge kicks in should be increased more often. I think it has been ‚£18 for donkeys ages. Just another money making ploy on behalf of the government, like when house prices started to rocket, and they didn't increase the level at which people paid inheritance tax.

My sister was suggesting that she make a separate order for me, and that way I could order 2 things at once. Might be worth considering?

MemberMember
(@donski)

Posted : 07/19/2010 10:45 am

I ship all the time ( in my job) and we dont put the full price of our software on the shipping documents. We put a nominal replacement value of $5.00. That way the client does NOT have to pay any import tax ! Maybe Dan could do this with his shipments to the UK.. ? then we wouldn't have to pay the tax. I might even order some then :)

Don

MemberMember
(@keenly)

Posted : 08/20/2010 7:08 am

STOP advertising what can be done to cheat the system

WAKE UP; BE SMARTER

agents are ALWAYS ONLINE

MemberMember
(@cest-la-vigne)

Posted : 08/20/2010 7:12 am

Two threads on the same topic merged.

Marking products that aren't gifts as gifts or marking them with a lower shipping value than they actually have in order to get around customers is not only dishonest, but it's against the law. DanielKern.com could get into serious trouble for doing so. Not only that, but they could be restricted from shipping their products internationally as a result.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 03/12/2012 12:41 pm

Christof - I tried ordering 2 lots of products at once and OUCH!!! I got landed with a 50 bill for import tax. It's the first order I've ever put in and I can't believe it! So, a word of advice - DON'T DO IT!!!

MemberMember
(@glycosidic)

Posted : 03/26/2012 4:48 am

Unfortunately, Dan himself might end up subject to a fine if he were to mark mnerchandise as a gift. I'm sure the customs people would not be happy if he were assisting tax evasion. Probably best to try to get your own regimen supplies from here in the UK.

MemberMember
(@shadrach)

Posted : 08/11/2012 10:56 am

Does anyone have any idea how much I can expect to pay in customs charges when ordering the full 16oz kit? In the past I've ordered the treatment separately, but I'm wondering if it'll be cheaper, even allowing for customs, to just order the big kit in one go.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/22/2012 4:01 am

No way round this really until Dan gets a UK/EU distributor. The only other real option is to order the 8oz tube which still works out ok price wise compared to the usual 40g tubes available on the high street.

MemberMember
(@shadrach)

Posted : 08/22/2012 3:05 pm

Thanks T.M. I actually went ahead and ordered the full kit (though the standard size, not the 16oz.) and it arrived today without any customs charge, which was nice!

It does seem to be entirely down to luck though, as far as I can tell. I ordered a couple of LPs only the other week from the States on which I paid a customs charge, and they were about the same value as the regimen ($30 or so).

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 08/29/2012 8:45 am

Pure luck mate, your right.

When I started the regimen many moons ago when Dan was using the Neutrogena BP I'd get maybe 5 orders through for every 1 stopped

MemberMember
(@user174136)

Posted : 02/01/2013 5:56 am

I recently got a 13 charge on an order of 16oz AHA. Would ordering the smaller size reduce this in any way?

MemberMember
(@tricky)

Posted : 02/01/2013 12:36 pm

^^^ you shouldnt get any charges if you go for the 8oz.

You only get charged if the product costs over 15

MemberMember
(@lee-charles)

Posted : 02/02/2013 6:37 am

^^^ you shouldnt get any charges if you go for the 8oz.

You only get charged if the product costs over 15.

Tricky is this the case even if the product works out under 15 but with the standard shipping goes over?

and didn't someone say it was 18 and over - can anyone confirm this?

MemberMember
(@tricky)

Posted : 02/02/2013 6:42 am

ah yeah, its 18. Sorry.

And it should not included shipping as far as I know. I've not ever been stung anyway. It only relates to the cost of the product itself.

MemberMember
(@lee-charles)

Posted : 02/02/2013 6:58 am

ah thats good news! definately bearing this in mind!

MemberMember
(@barnesy99)

Posted : 02/02/2013 10:20 am

It's 15 not 18. If the value of the goods (not shipping cost) is higher than 15 you have to pay the VAT on top and a handling fee (8 for royal mail).

Any goods less than 15 are exempt and will not incur any costs.

It used to be 18 but since November 2011 it has unfortunately been reduced to 15.

MemberMember
(@lee-charles)

Posted : 02/03/2013 6:05 pm

It's 15 not 18. If the value of the goods (not shipping cost) is higher than 15 you have to pay the VAT on top and a handling fee (8 for royal mail).

Any goods less than 15 are exempt and will not incur any costs.

It used to be 18 but since November 2011 it has unfortunately been reduced to 15.

lol the 16oz moisturizer worked out like 15.60 and i bought it yesterday before you posted that!