Notifications
Clear all

Differin gel (UK) 0.1% Personal Logs

MemberMember
(@ihateacnesomuchpleasehelp)

Posted : 03/18/2017 5:49 pm

So I have been using the Differin gel for about 1 week now and I will be updating the changes of my skin over the following three months. I will not necessarily write an entry every single day, just can't be bothered. But I will post something once I have more / fewer pimples, or any noticible improvment. My skin care routine is:
Morning: Gentle cleanser + Bulldog Mosturizer with SPF 15
Evening: Cleanser + Differin + Bulldog Mosturizer with SPF 15

So far this has been my progress:

11/3/2017: Started differin.
18/3/2017: More Acne. I have never had big pimples before but now there are like 2 big ones (one on my nose and one on my cheek). Also some small pimples on the cheek. They are quite red. I guess the term is inflammatory. I do have uneven skin tone because of pimples (red spots) but no scars. Dry skin, and some red spots on my neck (not acne). I am not sure if it is an allergic reaction or not. I will see how it goes. Overall, my skin is now quite soft but more acne.

MemberMember

Posted : 03/21/2017 6:34 am

21/3/2017 : My skin does not really break out now. No active pimples. But I usually didn't have many active pimples even before using this gel. My skin now looks better, softer, and I can tell this gel helps hyperpicmentation, which is something that annoys me the most. However, I still can't tell if the gel can actually prevent pimples. We will see.

MemberMember

Posted : 03/23/2017 5:26 pm

23/3/2017: There isn't any big changes. I have not got enough sleep lately so my skin looks just OK. no pimples or anything but it is not at its best.

MemberMember

Posted : 03/27/2017 6:01 pm

27/3/2017: acne is getting a bit worse. I dont think it is because of the cream. It is just me eating too much chocolate and cakes. And I didn't get enough sleep. Studying for exams... I don't get breakout from chocolate, unless I have eaten too much, which is what's happening now.

MemberMember

Posted : 03/31/2017 5:59 pm

31/03/2017: My acne is not getting much better. not so bad, not so good. It is annoying when it happens cuz it feels like the gel is not doing anything... but will still try to use it for at least three months.

MemberMember

Posted : 04/03/2017 3:19 pm

3/04/2017 No big changes. Start to have some pimples on my forehead, where I usually don't have any pimples. (It is nothing major). The hyperpicmentation is really annoying. I don't have many active pimples but I tend to have hyperpicmentation after a pimple goes away, and it tends to last..

MemberMember

Posted : 04/07/2017 12:01 pm

07/4/2017: I have one active pimple. Still can't say if differin is working or not. But it makes my skin kinda oily sometimes. And it looks kinda weird. Like... a bit red and ... I don't know. just does not look healthy.... some small hardly noticable pimples on my forehead. But it starts to worry me cuz I never have any pimples on my forhead. Like maybe 1 or 2 in a year..... I really hope differin won't make my skin worse....

MemberMember

Posted : 04/17/2017 2:54 pm

17/4/2017: My skin still does not look healthy :( Like I don't have any pimples - maybe 2 whiteheads. But my skin is a bit flaky. I don't know if it is because of differin, but my skin is really sensitive now. Like my face is a bit irritated. But the weird thing is even my neck and ears are dry and flaky, where I never apply differin on. It hurts when I apply mosturizer on my skin now. I guess it is working, but really really slowly. I can't be sure tho, cuz my skin does not have many pimples even when I don't use any acne treatment.

What I have noticed however, is that is it not WHAT I eat that matters, but WHEN and HOW OFTEN I eat. In my case, I don't get acne after eating chocolate or things of the sort. Maybe because I always have a cup of green tea when I eat something sweet. (ALWAYS). I have been having scones and chocolate brownies like everyday, and it has not really affected my acne. I don't eat a lot of chocolate tho, just some everyday.

But I notice that when I skip meals or go to bed late and have breakfast at 1 pm, my skin gets a lot worse and small pimples start to emerge. Like immediately..... I can see it the next day. :(

MemberMember
(@calmhead)

Posted : 04/29/2017 10:57 am

Hey! : )
Just stopping by to say i'm also using Differin 0.1% gel at the moment. Currently on week 5 or 6. My acne mostly are clogged pores, and some of them became pimple and gone while using the drug. But of course I still have many clogged pores to go. Tough journey!

Let's reach Month 3 together and notice result! : )
Hang on! Remember to reach Month 3 and then to judge!

I think you're just over examining. Try to relax and be easy to yourself.
Anyway, regular diet and sleeping habit is crucial to general health, it's good to also change it at the same time while treating acne.

MemberMember
(@bluesoup)

Posted : 05/18/2017 1:52 pm

On 4/29/2017 at 4:57 PM, CalmHead said:

Hey! : )
Just stopping by to say i'm also using Differin 0.1% gel at the moment. Currently on week 5 or 6. My acne mostly are clogged pores, and some of them became pimple and gone while using the drug. But of course I still have many clogged pores to go. Tough journey!

Let's reach Month 3 together and notice result! : )
Hang on! Remember to reach Month 3 and then to judge!

I think you're just over examining. Try to relax and be easy to yourself.
Anyway, regular diet and sleeping habit is crucial to general health, it's good to also change it at the same time while treating acne.

Hey mate im on differin now, about 7 weeks in. not seen much progress but i think im mostly through the initial breakout. How is your skin and what week are you on?

MemberMember
(@calmhead)

Posted : 05/22/2017 11:08 am

On 2017-5-19 at 2:52 AM, BlueSoup said:
Hey mate im on differin now, about 7 weeks in. not seen much progress but i think im mostly through the initial breakout. How is your skin and what week are you on?

Hello BlueSoup,
I'm currently starting my week 9.  I started adding in Azelaic acid in the morning around week 7.  Making not much of a difference yet, just in case it would.
At this moment, there are still some small clogged pores, but those bigger one existed before treatment has came and gone. (left with PIH of course.)
There is currently only one major clog in the most concerned area, still struggling its way out, I hope that is the last obvious one!

Other than that, skin generally smooths out and have some normal pimple still forming and going with no concerns. (Maybe I'm just getting used to have pimples on my face while on the treatment, only if its's not explosive like, I'm good.)

Just hoping for the best when I reach the 3 Month mark.:D

How's yours going? I hope it's all good.

p.s. Sorry for overriding op post, I do keep my own log, just click my name if anyone interested, I'll move my way there. Hope OP is doing good! 

MemberMember
(@bluesoup)

Posted : 05/22/2017 12:06 pm

55 minutes ago, CalmHead said:
Hello BlueSoup,
I'm currently starting my week 9.  I started adding in Azelaic acid in the morning around week 7.  Making not much of a difference yet, just in case it would.
At this moment, there are still some small clogged pores, but those bigger one existed before treatment has came and gone. (left with PIH of course.)
There is currently only one major clog in the most concerned area, still struggling its way out, I hope that is the last obvious one!

Other than that, skin generally smooths out and have some normal pimple still forming and going with no concerns. (Maybe I'm just getting used to have pimples on my face while on the treatment, only if its's not explosive like, I'm good.)

Just hoping for the best when I reach the 3 Month mark.:D

How's yours going? I hope it's all good.

p.s. Sorry for overriding op post, I do keep my own log, just click my name if anyone interested, I'll move my way there. Hope OP is doing good! 

Hey, thats good to hear! Im currently just starting week 8 so i guess you're a week ahed of me. Id say i have about 4 or so active spots the rest just the red acne marks that you get left with., although I really want these to fade because they look just as bad as spots to anyone else. Ive made steady progress i guess, i just want my skin to be good again :(

MemberMember
(@calmhead)

Posted : 05/23/2017 10:42 am

22 hours ago, BlueSoup said:
Hey, thats good to hear! Im currently just starting week 8 so i guess you're a week ahed of me. Id say i have about 4 or so active spots the rest just the red acne marks that you get left with., although I really want these to fade because they look just as bad as spots to anyone else. Ive made steady progress i guess, i just want my skin to be good again :(

It's heading for the good isn't it? : )
I agreed that those PIH does look as bad as spots. (Please don't bring it up, i'm trying to neglect them.)
But there's nothing to worry about if you know it would heal up by given enough time.
Everyone wants to be looking good!  I can understand that!  And you're on the right track! : ) 
What's worse is that if you didn't have started the treatment 8 weeks ago, that would be either uncertain future. or prolonged 8 weeks of hell.
Let's hope we would do good reaching Month 3.:D

May I ask do you use any kind of cleanser or moisturiser?  Do you find them helpful?

MemberMember
(@bluesoup)

Posted : 05/24/2017 8:52 am

22 hours ago, CalmHead said:
It's heading for the good isn't it? : )
I agreed that those PIH does look as bad as spots. (Please don't bring it up, i'm trying to neglect them.)
But there's nothing to worry about if you know it would heal up by given enough time.
Everyone wants to be looking good!  I can understand that!  And you're on the right track! : ) 
What's worse is that if you didn't have started the treatment 8 weeks ago, that would be either uncertain future. or prolonged 8 weeks of hell.
Let's hope we would do good reaching Month 3.:D

May I ask do you use any kind of cleanser or moisturiser?  Do you find them helpful?

Yes, I guess you are right. We can only be in a tree postition than what we would of been 8 weeks ago without treatment! I just use a regualr cleanser, it's nothing special and cheap neutragena oil free moisturiser. I'm going to my doctor in about an hour so I'll see what he says :)

MemberMember
(@bluesoup)

Posted : 05/24/2017 10:51 am

So I've just got back from the doctors and he said I should carry on with my treatments. I just feel so demotivated now because back 8 weeks ago he described my acne as mild to moderate and now he said it was definitely moderate. I just feel so unmotivated now I just want my skin to be okay again. Also I asked him about acne marks and he said there was nothing he could give me and I would just have to wait it out. I'm so down about it all now, it just makes me feel horrible about myself :(

MemberMember
(@calmhead)

Posted : 05/25/2017 10:00 am

22 hours ago, BlueSoup said:

So I've just got back from the doctors and he said I should carry on with my treatments. I just feel so demotivated now because back 8 weeks ago he described my acne as mild to moderate and now he said it was definitely moderate. I just feel so unmotivated now I just want my skin to be okay again. Also I asked him about acne marks and he said there was nothing he could give me and I would just have to wait it out. I'm so down about it all now, it just makes me feel horrible about myself :(

Oh don't be demotivated.  At least you're making progress, and you know it!

It is still not yet month 3.  So it's not right to judge the treatment working or not at this point.
I feel the same that my acne was mild too, than became moderate while on the treatment.  But now finally, I'm seeing glimpse of light in the tunnel.

In my opinion, your derm could prescript you a kind of cream that specifically for fading marks. (I don't recall the name but it start with the letter H. lol That's all I can remember sorry) Or more commonly,  Azelaic acid (Brand name Skinoren/Finacea) that could tackle inflammation and hyper-pigmentation.  Which I can't tell why your derm didn't introduce these option to you, it's clinically proven that adapelene/retinol works better with benzoyl peroxide or topical antibiotic such as clindamycin, or agent like azelaic acid.

Maybe your acne is too mild to risk a possible chance of irritation from new medication?  Or do you have sensitive skin?  Or did he prescript an oral antibiotic already?
I have no idea.  
But, to be honest, with adapalene alone, it will only do you good in long term.
It is because I heard that many people without acne use it for anti-ageing purpose. : P

Add in something else or not is up to you.  If Differin is not strong enough, he may suggest a stronger percentage of Differin, or even tretinoin.

Patience is the key! 
Time will fade all scars, and worry doesn't help.
Be happy and live your day like normal.  Do exercises.
Time would go much faster. : )

Cheers.

MemberMember
(@bluesoup)

Posted : 05/25/2017 2:21 pm

4 hours ago, CalmHead said:
Oh don't be demotivated.  At least you're making progress, and you know it!

It is still not yet month 3.  So it's not right to judge the treatment working or not at this point.
I feel the same that my acne was mild too, than became moderate while on the treatment.  But now finally, I'm seeing glimpse of light in the tunnel.

In my opinion, your derm could prescript you a kind of cream that specifically for fading marks. (I don't recall the name but it start with the letter H. lol That's all I can remember sorry) Or more commonly,  Azelaic acid (Brand name Skinoren/Finacea) that could tackle inflammation and hyper-pigmentation.  Which I can't tell why your derm didn't introduce these option to you, it's clinically proven that adapelene/retinol works better with benzoyl peroxide or topical antibiotic such as clindamycin, or agent like azelaic acid.

Maybe your acne is too mild to risk a possible chance of irritation from new medication?  Or do you have sensitive skin?  Or did he prescript an oral antibiotic already?
I have no idea.  
But, to be honest, with adapalene alone, it will only do you good in long term.
It is because I heard that many people without acne use it for anti-ageing purpose. : P

Add in something else or not is up to you.  If Differin is not strong enough, he may suggest a stronger percentage of Differin, or even tretinoin.

Patience is the key! 
Time will fade all scars, and worry doesn't help.
Be happy and live your day like normal.  Do exercises.
Time would go much faster. : )

Cheers.

Hi, thankyou a lot for the reply it helps to speak to someone today it! I use a prescription antibiotic with differin already and I have I have  ordered a  AHA I'd cleanser high might be what were on about? Keep me updated with your progress :)