Notifications
Clear all

My Differin Journey

MemberMember
(@harrylol123)

Posted : 02/20/2015 2:26 pm

Hi everyone,

I decided to do this because I'm at that stage of giving up so hopefully documenting my journey online will help keep me motivated.

My story

Ok so I started getting acne when I was around 14 and it was always whiteheads, never cystic or anything like that and at first I tried natural things like honey and tea tree to no avail so in July 2013 I went to my GP who prescribed me Duac which worked for about a year.

Luckily my acne never came back with a vengeance tho so I didnt go back and ask my GP for something else I just washed my face as normal and tried my best to cover my acne up. I bought a clarisonic which helped so I would definitely recommend buying one

Then in December 2014 my face became covered in whiteheads (not the little ones, big ones with hella yelow stuff in them ) but it wasnt until January 2015 I went back to my GP who prescribed me Differin, Benzoyl Peroxide 5% and Erythromycin (the tablet form).

My journey

Ok so I began using them on Tuesday 20th January and within the first few days everything seemed to be clearing up and I thought wow I'm gonna have clear skin like next week, never mind 3 months

And then the purging began... As well as burning (caused by the BP) and so much flakiness which was very hard to get rid of initially.. I would wash my face then moisturize (with 3 different moisturisers) in the morning but during the day the flakes would return - not a good look -_-

It's now the 20th of February so I've been on it for a month and I'm still purging but my face is much less dry and my face no longer gets flaky during the day, it feels very smooth. My face is also a different color to my neck for some reason.. Not sure if it's the redness caused by the differin/BP or because it has made my face more sensitive to sunlight so I've tanned a little.. hmm :/

That's all for now

MemberMember
(@siribai)

Posted : 02/20/2015 3:48 pm

Do you use SPF during the day? It's absolutely necessary when you're using treatments like these that thin out your skin and make it more sensitive. It sounds like you are doing pretty well on this regimen though!

MemberMember
(@harrylol123)

Posted : 02/20/2015 8:15 pm

No I don't use SPF during the day, I didn't know it was that important haha. I'll definitely try pick up a moisturiser with some SPF in it now that you've mentioned it. Thanks for ur advice

MemberMember
(@harrylol123)

Posted : 02/22/2015 6:16 pm

Week 5

Ok I think this is the beginning of week 5 and this is literally the worst so far. I counted all the spots currently on my face and it's at least 30 and the one on my nose is literally huge.. I feel disgusting and I have school tomorrow so I considered stopping for a few days but it's not worth it. I'd rather not delay my progress to clear skin !

There is still some flakiness when I wake up after having Differin on overnight so trying to cover these spots in the morning is sometimes quite difficult.

I'm going to hold an ice cube to this spot on my nose to see if it'll go down and then wash my face and apply Differin as usual. Hopefully my face isn't too dry in the morning so I can put some green colour corrector on followed by some bronzer and it won't look too bad

Hopefully week 6 things will start improving? Lol

MemberMember
(@harrylol123)

Posted : 02/27/2015 3:05 pm

Ok it's still week 5

Things are still pretty bad and my birthday is just over 2 weeks away so I'm panicking bc I want my skin to look as good as possible ! I decided to change my diet today to see if that will help - no dairy is the main caveat and basically just avoiding everything unhealthy so I've just eaten fruit and drank water today p much lol.. Will report back in a week to see if that's helped !

MemberMember
(@harrylol123)

Posted : 03/22/2015 7:08 am

I think it's week 8?

Haven't been able to post recently bc I've been mad busy but I'm happy to report that I'm finally seeing improvement

Significantly less spots on my face, clear skin is definitely on the horizon ! I'm so excited 8)

Btw definitely get ready for cysts :( mine came around the 6 week mark

MemberMember
(@harrylol123)

Posted : 03/25/2015 4:29 pm

Actually my skin still looks disgusting lmao :(

My forehead where it was relatively clear before is covered now its disgusting ! But there are no spots on my chin which is gd because before that was the worst area

Another big concern is redness ! My face doesn't feel irritated but it looks it, my neck is white and then my face is bright red ! -_-

I'm getting a 10% glycolic acid moisturiser, 20% vitamin C serum and gonna try aloe vera gel to see if that helps somehow and let u know 8)