Notifications
Clear all

My Caveman Regimen Experiment (Starting 17/12/2013)

MemberMember
(@islandsand123)

Posted : 01/01/2014 9:15 pm

Day 7 for me, my face has a much better tone, oiliness has balanced out and bumpy patches are smoothing out nicely.

MemberMember
(@tim-o)

Posted : 01/03/2014 9:09 pm

Day 7 for me, my face has a much better tone, oiliness has balanced out and bumpy patches are smoothing out nicely.

Sounds like it's working for you, keep it up mate. Just a heads up, you've just finished your first week which is when you see dramatic improvement and now the improvement will begin to slow down and your face will look quite horrible on some days (but it tends to look much better the next day) this is because in the furst week or so your face heals the top layer of your skin leaving a clearer complexion abd as the days go by your skin will start healing deeper layers so it's all about patience and perserverence really.

Anyways good luck!

MemberMember
(@tim-o)

Posted : 01/03/2014 9:31 pm

It's my 18th day update and i'm still very happy with the 'caveman regimen'. I have been getting a couple of whiteheads (which go away quite quick) and there is 1 slightly bigger spot each side of my chin which are refusing to go away but are healing never the less (these came around the time i drank lots of alcohol so maybe it's because of that).

The oil on my face has started to regulate really well and while my face looks oily it is actually much more dry than it was when i started this regimen.

I have obviously started getting the dead skin mask as i stated in my last post but it still isn't as nearly noticeable as i thought i would be by now and it may sound weird but i actually quite like the dead skin mask because it's like my motivation to keep going as it means my skin is healing.

I do have days where my face looks a little horrible with red patches and that but by the next day it looks a lot better and the red patches fade, the old hyper pigmentation (red marks) are still fading and they have also started to turn more of a browny colour which is what Tracy from the love vitamin experienced so i see it as a good thing.

I play 8ball pool competitively and i went to the club where i practice for the first time in a week and when i looked in the mirror i noticed the improvement in my skin as where when i'm at home i don't notice as much because i look in the mirror everyday so i guess the best way to go is not look in the mirror at home for a few days at a time and you'll see the improvement. Hope this helps :)

Sorry for such a long update, if anyone has any questions feel free to ask and i will try to answer them based on my experience so far.

MemberMember
(@francis86)

Posted : 01/05/2014 5:38 pm

Well it's been a while but my face has been really great, i'm always surprised by the continuing improvement. The redness and inflammation in my face has reduced so much. I can see clear fresh skin everywhere now! I still get a few small whiteheads here and there but they do not bother me and usually heal very quickly. I am not getting the deep cystic like acne that I would normally get which is really great.

There's been a few things i've introduced. I'm still taking Zinc 50mg, and Vitamin D 1000IU, I've also started having apple cider vinegar before my meals, I bought cod liver oil which i'm having in the morning and a nice strong antibacterial honey and and cinnamon drink in the evening before bed. I've been going down to the local park every evening and having a run.

Regarding my diet, i was on a strict paleo diet, but I have started to introduce some buckwheat pasta, i'll see how this goes.

MemberMember
(@tim-o)

Posted : 01/06/2014 4:56 pm

It's my 20th day of the 'caveman' experiment... Wow i can't believe i've made it this far not putting any water on my face.

First of all the hyper pigmentation (red marks) is still slowly improving which is great! :)

I have still been getting one or two pimples/whiteheads per day (a couple of large red ones which are still hanging around) but i'm really hoping that it's part of the purging stage as i wasn't getting that many before i started this regimen. The millions of blackheads on my nose are purging aswell and some o them have already dissappeared.

My face has begun getting really really ichy from the dead skin mask and sebum (especially my eyes grrr) and the dead skin mask is greatly increasing around my nose area and is quite flaky when i wake up in the morning.

Blotchyness on my face is still occuring but it's mainly later on in the day it appears then starts fading by the morning.

It sounds really bad right now but overall it is still better than when i started this regimen.

Vitamin D dosage lowered to 5000iu and Zinc to 50mg per day and i started drinking lemon water today so i'll keep you posted on that.

I'm not too sure when i'll wash my face because i feel that the healing stage has only just begun so i don't want to remove the dead skin too early.. Maybe on day 35 ot 40??

If anyone has past this stage i would love your opinion if i'm on the right track still and if you experienced anything like i am.

Cheers and i'll update again soon :)

MemberMember
(@markd343)

Posted : 01/08/2014 12:32 am

I started the caveman regimen today. I also started today taking 5,000 UI vitamin D. I will let you know how it goes.

MemberMember
(@tim-o)

Posted : 01/18/2014 4:19 pm

I started the caveman regimen today. I also started today taking 5,000 UI vitamin D. I will let you know how it goes.

Good to see other people giving it a go. How has it been so far mate?

How is everyone doing?

Sorry I haven't been on here for about a week and a half, don't worry i haven't abandoned the regimen in fact i'm on day 32 and doing great (wow 1 month and 1 day already haha). I'm not going to update in detail until week 5 because i feel it's better, i haven't washed my face still because its not been bad. I'm actually planning to go 2 or 3 months before i wash my face, i don't think many if any have done it so it would be good to see if it has better results than washing after 30 days.

I'm currently taking a little break from the vit d and zinc but will pick that back up next week.

That's it for now and i'll update and on week 5 if not then week 6 :) cya

MemberMember
(@tim-o)

Posted : 01/30/2014 11:08 am

I thought i would just pop by and leave a quick update. It's been 44 days since i started the caveman regimen.

At first it was going great up until around day 21 which is when i started getting huge breakouts around the lower half of my face ( mainly the corners of my mouth). This is really confusing seeing as i wasn't breaking out as much before this regimen.

Anyhow i wash my face with lukewarm warm water on day 38 and i noticed that the old hyper pigmentation (red marks) had reduced dramatically but i was still breaking out quite a lot, also my skin began being as oily as it was before??

Now on day 44 the breakouts are still quite bad and doesn't show any signs of slowing down, i really don't think this is a purging stage still because it's been almost a month since the breakouts started?

I'm just so confused right now should i go back on prescriptions or hold this out still?

I did change my diet to Paleo at the same time as starting this regimen but i'm sure that wouldn't break me out for this long either.

If anyone has advice please help me out :)

MemberMember
(@tim-o)

Posted : 01/30/2014 6:15 pm

Hello again peeps, second post of the day but i just thought i'd post a couple of pics to get some advice from the wonderful people of acne.org lol

The light actually makes it not look so bad and sorry about the lack of shaving lol just kinda being a caveman ya know haha

So as you can see i have had quite a breakout mainly on my left cheek which is weird. Most of the whiteheads/pimples etc on my left cheek developed in the last 6 days which i'm confused about because it's been 1 1/2 months of paleo and caveman regimen. Surely it can't last much longer can it?

On the right side of my face it's not too bad, my cheek is pretty clear but the pimple at the corner of my mouth just keep coming back.

There's lots of tiny red marks which make me look like i've got a rash, i'm hoping somehow this is still a purging period and it will go away soon or i'll go crazyyy.

You can also see my face is quite oily which again is weird seeing as i've been doing the caveman regimen without water for 44days maybe my skin is just trying it's hardest to annoy me? Haha

Anyway i'm going to continue on the caveman for now and i'll see what happens.

If anyone has any advice or experienced this as well please help me out.post-366552-0-85485000-1391123478_thumb.post-366552-0-81822600-1391123526_thumb.

MemberMember
(@francis86)

Posted : 01/30/2014 7:48 pm

Hey Tim.

I totally understand your frustration. Over the past month it has been the same for me too. Although in the past week or so I have a renewed desire to really knuckle down and start again. I am not currently doing the total caveman regimen, but i am using clean cool filtered water to spalsh on my face ever few days which does not do me any harm.

I have recently stumbled on a site called healyourfacewithfood.com and it's been really great actually. The one thing that has been significantly helping my face are green juices every day!! I kind of knew that I needed to be on a better healthier diet, but this blog has really helped me to understand that alot more. I have been exercising and doing brief meditations everyday which has been so amazing in helping my skin too. I am still taking zinc and vit D, and also added spirulina once a day. I am also taking the high vitamin butter oil/fermented cod liver daily too.

The improvement since I have started this has been wonderful. I can't stress enough just how much the green juices, diet, exercising and meditating daily has helped even just over the past week.

Check out the blog if you wish. I hope you can find the root cause to your problem.

cheers buddy

MemberMember
(@tim-o)

Posted : 02/10/2014 8:12 am

Hi francis,

Glad you're still around and continuing the caveman.

Just a couple of things... Are you still breaking out? And does your skin still get oily?

I'm now on my 55th day of caveman and paleo but i'm still breaking out (on the lower half of my face) and my skin still gets a little oily.

I'm not sure whether to carry it on any longer or just go back to antibiotics *cringe* lol.

I would love to hear from somebody else who had/has it similar to me

I'm really confusedddddd!! Grr why can't things just get better lol

Anyways i'll update again soon :)

MemberMember
(@francis86)

Posted : 02/12/2014 10:45 pm

Hey Tim,

I do still break out, yeah. But to a lesser degree than I did before. My face does not get oily so much since i don't wash it. I still haven't washed it, i've been trying to get this under control from the inside out, which i'm sure takes time and patience and belief. Let's not give in mate, it will come. Don't go back to pills, i know what it feels like being tempted to go there. Keep going strong buddy.

This was my face before beginning this. I've had some improvement since.

post-366770-0-16029000-1392262917.jpg

MemberMember
(@tim-o)

Posted : 02/15/2014 6:27 pm

hey francis, thanks for the support man. i'm definitely sticking to the caveman and i'm going to start the 'no poo' regimen for my hair soon. The way your skin looks in that pic is about the same as mine was when my acne was severe at around 14-15 years old but i also had it on my forehead aswell. It would be interesting to see your results so far. Also if you need any support definitely check out Tracy Raftl at thelovevitamin.com which i mentioned in my first post, shes great for a confidence boost and you could ask her anything, she's great trust me.

Anyway stay safe mate and keep us updated.

MemberMember
(@lanette)

Posted : 02/15/2014 6:54 pm

i tried the same thing for front neck acne for almost 3 mos, it seemed to work off/on...but ultimately i jus ended up breaking out over and over.....atleast i tried...lol

MemberMember
(@francis86)

Posted : 02/16/2014 7:57 pm

Thanks Tim. I do actually check out her site quite often. There's certainly good stuff on there.

This is the current progress of my face.

post-366770-0-71725100-1392598635.jpg

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 02/17/2014 2:21 pm

hey man, have you tried differin before? I am about to start using it. I agree that not using so much cleanser or washing certainly helps calm the skin down to repair. its all about the PH

MemberMember
(@tim-o)

Posted : 02/19/2014 9:34 am

hey man, have you tried differin before? I am about to start using it. I agree that not using so much cleanser or washing certainly helps calm the skin down to repair. its all about the PH

Hey jack,

Yeah i have tried differin, although i wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy lol. I was prescribed it by my derm in the gel and cream form and used it 3 times a week as suggested but i soon stopped it forever.

The reason i wouldn't suggest it is because 1) although i can reduce acne it is only temporary 2) it actually slows the healing process of PIH redness 3) it destroys the good bacteria and acid mantle which your skin needs to prevent acne 4) it ages skin faster and 5) it makes acne relapse 10x worse than it is now because of the fact that it destroys your acid mantle etc.

Obviously everyone is able to make their own choice so

It's up to you what you do.

There are natural things you can use on your face (although i don't use them but thats me) just search 'the love vitamin' and she has plenty of recommendations.

Hope this helps somewhat lol and good luck mate

Thanks Tim. I do actually check out her site quite often. There's certainly good stuff on there.

Well what you're doing is certainly working just stick to it and acne will be history.

I'm actually just about to start a candida cleanse because i think that may be the last piece of the puzzle i need to fix. I'll let you know how it goes.

i tried the same thing for front neck acne for almost 3 mos, it seemed to work off/on...but ultimately i jus ended up breaking out over and over.....atleast i tried...lol

Hi ianette,

I really feel for you, that's what it feels like for me right now, however i know the caveman has worked and that i've eliminated all irritation externally, i just need to address my diet a bit more and work on internal health.

Did you also go on a healthier diet when you done the caveman regimen?

MemberMember
(@jackthelad)

Posted : 02/19/2014 9:37 am

Hey jack,

Yeah i have tried differin, although i wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy lol. I was prescribed it by my derm in the gel and cream form and used it 3 times a week as suggested but i soon stopped it forever.

The reason i wouldn't suggest it is because 1) although i can reduce acne it is only temporary 2) it actually slows the healing process of PIH redness 3) it destroys the good bacteria and acid mantle which your skin needs to prevent acne 4) it ages skin faster and 5) it makes acne relapse 10x worse than it is now because of the fact that it destroys your acid mantle etc.

There are natural things you can use on your face (although i don't use them but thats me) just search 'the love vitamin' and she has plenty of recommendations.

Well what you're doing is certainly working just stick to it and acne will be history.

I'm actually just about to start a candida cleanse because i think that may be the last piece of the puzzle i need to fix. I'll let you know how it goes.

Hi Tim thanks for the reply- I am at work so sorry for short reply- that's strange it didn't work for you, did you follow a regime whilst doing it? what type of acne do you have are they inflamed?

Strange you say it can ruin the skin, or prolong healing, as differin speeds up the cell turn over rate! People use it for it's anti aging properties not just for clogged pores or acne per say.

I am scared to try it but tbh I'd rather give it a shot and hope for the best- my skin isn't that bad but it's the overall texture from picking which I am trying to resolve and blocked pores.

My diet is great I don't eat dairy etc I am lactose intolerant or at least perhaps to the protein in milk which is very odd.

But yeah differin is a long term solution and takes months for it to start showing physical improvements, but I guess everyone's skin is different

MemberMember
(@francis86)

Posted : 02/19/2014 4:01 pm

Hey jack,

>Thanks Tim. I do actually check out her site quite often. There's certainly good stuff on there.

Hi ianette,

I really feel for you, that's what it feels like for me right now, however i know the caveman has worked and that i've eliminated all irritation externally, i just need to address my diet a bit more and work on internal health.

Thanks for saying, Tim.

I've definitely had my ups and downs, but this is as consistent as my progress has been thus far. I finally found a routine that i'm feeling happy to stick to and reaping some of the reward.

I still do not wash my face at all. I wake up at 6am every morning now, and the first thing I do is take a tea spoon of the cod liver oil/butter oil blend. Then having a green/camomile tea. After a couple of hours I make a green vegetable juice which is all I have for breakfast. That's made up of cucumber, celery, kale, spinach, fennel and a lemon. The next time I eat is lunch and dinner which are made up of purely salads, light leafy veges and usually salmon/chicken breast and TONS of avaocado. I sleep much earlier and wake up much earlier. Still take vit D, zinc and spirulina at night.

I'll keep to this and keep u updated.

What's a candida cleanse, if i may ask?

Hey Jack,

I've tried many things actually, and at first they worked for me, but then broke me out even worse. Using creams, cleansers and washers is what broke me out in the first place. I don't think i'll ever be going back to these products again unfortunately. But thanks for your advice.

My face is as calm as ever, non-irritated without using them. I never used to wash my face, only occasionally splashing with water once in a while and i was completely clear until i started using creams. I am positive i can fix it without. Just gotta find whats going to be best.

MemberMember
(@tim-o)

Posted : 02/20/2014 12:25 pm

Hey jack,

ockquote>Well what you're doing is certainly working just stick to it and acne will be history.

Hi Tim thanks for the reply- I am at work so sorry for short reply- that's strange it didn't work for you, did you follow a regime whilst doing it? what type of acne do you have are they inflamed?

Strange you say it can ruin the skin, or prolong healing, as differin speeds up the cell turn over rate! People use it for it's anti aging properties not just for clogged pores or acne per say.

I am scared to try it but tbh I'd rather give it a shot and hope for the best- my skin isn't that bad but it's the overall texture from picking which I am trying to resolve and blocked pores.

My diet is great I don't eat dairy etc I am lactose intolerant or at least perhaps to the protein in milk which is very odd.

But yeah differin is a long term solution and takes months for it to start showing physical improvements, but I guess everyone's skin is different

hey jack, when i was prescribed Differin i was also taking Doxycycline and only using the dove cream bar. my acne is actually almost gone and i hope to be even clearer after my candida cleanse.

With Differin yes it does speed up cell turnover but at the same time it strips the acid mantle and leaves your skin unprotected which then causes bacteria to get into your skin and produces infections underneath the already damaged skin causing acne to reoccur where the old PIH is. that is the reason why it slows down the healing process.

If it is just the texture of your skin that you are trying to improve then why not use manuka honey and a face wash and stop using everything else on your skin, so just water and honey? i haven't used it but it's recommended across the internet. You could also try jojoba oil for your pores although some people say it makes things worse so it's really up to you

Hey jack,

>>Thanks Tim. I do actually check out her site quite often. There's certainly good stuff on there.

lockquote>

>i tried the same thing for front neck acne for almost 3 mos, it seemed to work off/on...but ultimately i jus ended up breaking out over and over.....atleast i tried...lol

Hi ianette,

Thanks for saying, Tim.

I've definitely had my ups and downs, but this is as consistent as my progress has been thus far. I finally found a routine that i'm feeling happy to stick to and reaping some of the reward.

I still do not wash my face at all. I wake up at 6am every morning now, and the first thing I do is take a tea spoon of the cod liver oil/butter oil blend. Then having a green/camomile tea. After a couple of hours I make a green vegetable juice which is all I have for breakfast. That's made up of cucumber, celery, kale, spinach, fennel and a lemon. The next time I eat is lunch and dinner which are made up of purely salads, light leafy veges and usually salmon/chicken breast and TONS of avaocado. I sleep much earlier and wake up much earlier. Still take vit D, zinc and spirulina at night.

I'll keep to this and keep u updated.

What's a candida cleanse, if i may ask?

Hey Jack,

I've tried many things actually, and at first they worked for me, but then broke me out even worse. Using creams, cleansers and washers is what broke me out in the first place. I don't think i'll ever be going back to these products again unfortunately. But thanks for your advice.

My face is as calm as ever, non-irritated without using them. I never used to wash my face, only occasionally splashing with water once in a while and i was completely clear until i started using creams. I am positive i can fix it without. Just gotta find whats going to be best.

wow that diet seems even harsher than mine lol. still it's doing good for you so keep at it. My sleep has definitely improved aswell which i'm very happy about.

The candida cleanse is a diet that cleans out our intestines of bad bacteria that causes acne and many other problems. It's actually working quite well and i've only been on it for 2 days. check out this link for more info and the symptoms. It does say you will experience a breakout while on the diet due to rapid detox but supposedly it's quite mild so we will see.

www.thecandidadiet.com/cleansing.htm

MemberMember
(@francis86)

Posted : 02/20/2014 4:36 pm

The candida cleanse is a diet that cleans out our intestines of bad bacteria that causes acne and many other problems. It's actually working quite well and i've only been on it for 2 days. check out this link for more info and the symptoms. It does say you will experience a breakout while on the diet due to rapid detox but supposedly it's quite mild so we will see.

www.thecandidadiet.com/cleansing.htm

Thanks for the link! I did check that out and it seem's very similar to the diet I've actually been on for the past three weeks and what I attribute to my improvement actually. My diet is primarily made up of raw salads and steamed veges. Although I still like to have a piece of fruit a day as I need my little sugar rush.

Keep us updated on how you go with it.

MemberMember
(@francis86)

Posted : 03/07/2014 5:15 pm

I'm still on no washing my face and have been since I started this. I have only splashed my face with clean distilled water once a week. My face has improved immensely ever since changing my diet, so a couple of weeks ago I did try to eat some grains and broke out quite badly, it's healed up very fast since then and i am at the point of only having a few small whiteheads which also heal up really fast as well. I'm feeling absolutely wonderful about myself, smooth fresh clear skin keeps appearing, I'm confident to go out, I get compliments about how much my skin has improved. Most of all, I am not getting persistent acne like I was before. My complexion is getting so good every day. The scarring is light compared to before.

MemberMember
(@tim-o)

Posted : 03/13/2014 11:08 am

I'm still on no washing my face and have been since I started this. I have only splashed my face with clean distilled water once a week. My face has improved immensely ever since changing my diet, so a couple of weeks ago I did try to eat some grains and broke out quite badly, it's healed up very fast since then and i am at the point of only having a few small whiteheads which also heal up really fast as well. I'm feeling absolutely wonderful about myself, smooth fresh clear skin keeps appearing, I'm confident to go out, I get compliments about how much my skin has improved. Most of all, I am not getting persistent acne like I was before. My complexion is getting so good every day. The scarring is light compared to before.

Sounds good francis. with an internal cleanse it will always take time, i've read that for some people it took 6-9 months. I'm happy with results so far even though i still get breakouts but that's because i keep slipping up and eating badly especially when out with the family and such.

I'm not exactly sticking to the candida cleanse still for now because i'm training for the 'Sport Relief' Run that i posted about on my profile and obviously running while on a low carb diet is impossible (well for me it is). So after that i will commit to the candida cleanse 100%.

I've also started taking Probiotics (The Healthy Origins brand), i take 2 capsules per day.

i'll try and give a fuller update a bit later but for now chao ... I'm going to enjoy this sunshine.

MemberMember
(@tim-o)

Posted : 04/09/2014 6:20 pm

Hello peeps,

So its been almost a month since i last posted on here and i promised to give a full update on my progress but i hadn't got around to it because i've just been toooo busy .

Well here's my update....

I've been on the Caveman regimen for just over 16 weeks now (no washing at all, not once even with just water) and all i can say is i'm glad i started it. Not because it's clearing my acne (that i have confirmed is due to internal factors which i'll tell you about) but because it makes life simple - there is no regimen required, I don't ever get dry skin anymore and any whiteheads etc that i do get heal up much much quicker. Trust me just like Tracy from 'The love vitamin' and many other people i intend to continue the Caveman Regimen indefinitely.

So that's my update with the Caveman, you're probably glad to know that i'm still doing it

Now my skin update....

In my last post i talked about starting a candida cleanse which i started about a 3 weeks ago, eating very low carbs (15g-20g per day) and sugar (<8g per day). since i started the cleanse my skin has improved dramatically. I still have a few red marks left (but they are fading away by the day) and overall my complexion is quite great, I'll try put some pics up soon.

With the low carb and sugar eating i have also been taking probiotics and last week i introduced antifungals to help kill the candida. I'm taking 180billion cfu of probiotics (6 caps of Healthy Origins Probiotics) and 4 600mg Caprylic Acid caps (by Now Foods) per day.

I did experience a bit of a die off at the beginning as i expected, but has calmed down now and i think i'm starting to finally see results.

If you want to take Probiotics and antifungals DO NOT start taking them at the same time and slowly increase the dosage otherwise you will experience a much bigger die off than i did. Thanks to this avice from Lisa Richards at thecandidadiet.com i didn't experience a bad die off.

So in conclusion I am very happy with my progress, My diet is great, My sleep is on track, The caveman regimen is working and most importantly i have found the last piece of the puzzle to clearing my skin.

I will come back soon and update and possibly upload some pics but for now good luck everyone and i'm really interested in hearing how people on this post are progressing so update me guys and girls....

If anyone has any questions feel free to contact me. Chao

MemberMember
(@francis86)

Posted : 04/22/2014 8:04 pm

That's great to hear, Tim. I'm happy for you.

I have positive news too, and that is that my skin has had no major problems for a while now. My acne has just diminished over the last few months...it did take time but the reward has been wonderful. My face is showing some slight scarring but the redness is almost unnoticeable now. I haven't had any major breakout in quite a while now. I occasionally rinse my face with epsom salts, otherwise just fresh clean water...My diet is still mostly consistent of veges/fruit and meat...but I do however eat some chocolate (mostly raw organic handmade) and some pasta/rice/carbs, but that's not very often and does not seem to have any effect.

Recently I have started making my own water kefir and drinking that daily combined with a product I buy called organic Wholeganic greens powder by reserveage. It was this that was the last piece of the puzzle for me. Had no problems since.

Hope it can help someone.