Notifications
Clear all

Lilo's Paleo Log

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 06/08/2012 9:48 pm

Hi Sasch12, I can definately do with a Paleo buddy!

I use an organic range on my skin. It's called Sanctum. Have only been using it for a few weeks, before that I used Ahava (too expensive but very good).

I basically get red bumps that turn into whiteheads. Normally, if I get one in an area on my face, a few pop-up closeby. I get acne around my mouth, forehead, temples, sides of face. I also have blackheads but they are tolerable.

My chest has never been bad, but has cleared-up since Paleo. I don't get acne on my back. Most people will describe it as mild, but i think it is moderate, whereas it's effects are severe.

How far are you in and what is your skin and diet like?

Lilo, we sound very similar. i am also prediabetic with low vitamin D levels. My acne is mostly on my chin/mouth area and more recently has been popping up randomly on my cheeks. My bumps tend to be red, inflamed and under the skin. My forehead for the most part remains clear. I've been on Paleo 1 week today and i have to admit its hard. I plan on giving it 30 days to see if i notice a difference.

Keep on posting!

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 06/09/2012 2:12 pm

Day 40

After reading White Fox's newest posting, I have come to realize that diet alone is not going to be good enough. I need to solve my gut issues as a matter of urgency. So I have opted for the the gut diet / treatment plan on gutflora.com as suggested in the posting.

Breakfast: sweet potato, avo, salmon

Lunch: trout salad, sweet potato

Dinner: lamb, avo

Snacks: cashews

Skin: still have actives, but slightly better than earlier in the week

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 06/14/2012 10:59 am

Day 45, I think

Paleo is not working for me. I am constipated and need to abort this diet asap. My skin is basically the same, if not worse. Will rather try and fix my digestion and elimination. How do you explain a high fat diet with dry flaking skin? Something is wrong with this picture.

I will be drinking loads of kefir and eating heaps of sauerkraut for a while, maybe do some enzymes and pre- and probiotics, while maintaining a low GI and balaced diet with whole grains, fruit, veg, meat, fish, nuts and eggs.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 06/15/2012 7:01 pm

Lilo, i'm sorry things have not been working for you. Good luck with the digestion route - keep us posted!

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 06/23/2012 9:19 am

OK, so I have been eating, not quite so Paleo, had GF oats for breakfast, shared a GF / rye sandwich maybe 3 times this week, had buckwheat pasta with meat, today I ate a GF pizza. My skin...is essentally slightly better. But somehow I am not convinced that this is the way to go. Still looking into what went wrong on Paleo. Was it the too many nuts, eggs, meat or sweat potato? Thinking of starting with a mono type diet whereby I can introduce new things slowly and observe the effect. But this is a social killer. I can easily do the GAPS soup thing if it was only me that I had to consider.

Or was it just the storm before the calm? And maybe I should have given it another month or so before judging. Sasch12, how is your journey progressing?

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 06/23/2012 8:22 pm

OK, so I have been eating, not quite so Paleo, had GF oats for breakfast, shared a GF / rye sandwich maybe 3 times this week, had buckwheat pasta with meat, today I ate a GF pizza. My skin...is essentally slightly better. But somehow I am not convinced that this is the way to go. Still looking into what went wrong on Paleo. Was it the too many nuts, eggs, meat or sweat potato? Thinking of starting with a mono type diet whereby I can introduce new things slowly and observe the effect. But this is a social killer. I can easily do the GAPS soup thing if it was only me that I had to consider.

Or was it just the storm before the calm? And maybe I should have given it another month or so before judging. Sasch12, how is your journey progressing?

Hi Lilo - acne can be very frustrating but don't give up. I am planning on giving Paleo at least 2 months (until the end of July). Acne still the same - no consistent improvement so........I will guage progress when i STOP breaking out daily so...

Keep your head up!

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 06/24/2012 11:12 am

Made the most delicious almond / coconut biscuits today and a almond / zucchini bread. I can easily do Paleo if I have a constant supply of these baked goodies, hehe! I know, I know, should not really overdo O6.

Thanks Sasch12, yep, still eating grains though, but not any commercial breads and biscuits, mainly GF oats, quinoa, brown rice, but not excessively. Eating grain is not really Paleo. So, not quite sure, but I noticed that your diet is very similar to my diet.

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 06/25/2012 2:27 pm

Oops, break-out from all of the nuts and maybe eggs. Have also noticed that my skin is flushed a bit. Inflammation?

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 06/29/2012 11:45 pm

I am kinda sick of my skin at the moment, the persistent everyday whitehead break-outs is getting to me, my skin also looks a lot redder since eating so many nuts. So for this week-end I am going to eat chicken / fish and vegetables only. No NUTS and EGGS.

At least I have solved constipation by drinking 4 tablespoons of milled flax seeds with kefir every morning. I'll let you guys now how it goes, my weight will probably plumet again.

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 06/30/2012 1:33 pm

Breakfast: 2 poached free range eggs (yes I know), spinach, avo and bacon

Lunch: chicken salad with lettuce, cucumber, green beans and avo

Dinner: chicken and vegetable soup, kefir with 4 tablespoons seed mix

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 07/01/2012 12:42 pm

I'm starting to think that my 'healthy diet' may be making my skin worse? It never use to be as bad as it is now. Can that even be possible? Here I was today, cooking away for the better part of the day, making soup, fish, steamed veggies, etc, just so that I have food for the week ahead. What kind of life is this?

Also, I'm not even sure if my acne is really acne, maybe it is a type of dermititis. So, today I started washing my face with sebocalm (cat shampoo for skin conditions). Desperate measures, what can I say.

At least I had zero eggs and nuts today and bought some fish oil to balance my omegas.

Maybe my improved regularity are making my skin worse at first? I don't know.

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 07/08/2012 12:54 pm

So, I went to my Derm on Wednesday, started taking Bactrim again, could not stand it anymore, had sandy bumps, turning into whiteheads, all over my face. He said it looked like folliculitis / eczema / with a lot of inflammation. Something really strange was going on. Still not sure what? I was following a paleoish diet. At crossroads once again. Where do I go from here?

MemberMember
(@zchmrkenhoff)

Posted : 07/10/2012 11:46 pm

Could you try to adopt a water-only or caveman regimen for managing yourself externally? I noticed that you were using some product on your face. How were you feeling when you were on the paleo diet? If you were feeling good, yet your skin was still bad, it could be that you are externally exacerbating things.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 08/11/2012 12:11 pm

Lilo....how's everything going? Did you end up quitting Paleo? How is the acne situation?

MemberMember
(@righthandman)

Posted : 08/12/2012 9:07 am

I'm really interested into why pale didn't work for you. Usually people are resistant to the pale diet because they consume excess nuts or fruits. (nuts are a problem for me). Also I heard if your protein intake is too high, like 100g a day, then you will continue to break out. Is there anything else you can tell us that may indicate why you still breakout? Are you taking a probiotic? Probiotics cause me to breakout, as well as fish oil.

MemberMember
(@sirios)

Posted : 08/17/2012 1:29 pm

Hi!

How are all you doing?

Sasch how is your Paleo going? How's your skin.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 08/17/2012 1:42 pm

Hi!

How are all you doing?

Sasch how is your Paleo going? How's your skin.

Paleo is going.....it hasn't helped my skin AT ALL so i am going to be adding back in occasionally quinoa and brown rice (sparingly). I believe this diet helps a lot of people but it is not 100% cure for everyone (and i hardly consume nuts and excess fruit so.....) . My skin is a hot mess sadly. How's it going for you?

MemberMember
(@sirios)

Posted : 08/17/2012 2:43 pm

Four days only and I have seen improvement in the blackheads of my nose, although some new pimples are forming again... We'll see.

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 05/18/2013 12:01 am

I'm back. Went on Diane for a few months and started to lose hair, so I stopped almost 2 months ago, and have taken a low dose of accutane for a month after. Still losing hair, by the way, hoping things will settle.

I'm now back on Paleo this past week and only eat meat, veggies and fruit. So, I will be tracking my progress to see where I have gone wrong.

Had a break-out mid-week, but no new actives this morning, just marks. Still feeling a bit blah from the change of diet, very little energy.

I won't be doing eggs, sweet potatoes and nuts this time around.

MemberMember
(@helton)

Posted : 05/18/2013 1:36 am

Are you using any topical along with the diet?

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 05/18/2013 5:43 am

Hi Helton, I don't use any topicals. Just my normal Environ skin care range.

Breakfast: Lamb and veggies.

Lunch: Free range chicken livers, cauliflower head, a small papaya.

Two black coffees.

Tired and feel somewhat depressed. Skin clear, but not in good condition.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 05/18/2013 5:51 am

Hi Lilo, welcome back! I'm sorry that B wasn't a good match for you and hopefully with time, the hair loss will stop. Accutane should work in the long run but give it 6 months. How low of a dose are you on? Good luck with paleo this time around. I stopped last year and restarted it this year but after a few months with little to no progress, i am back to my regular diet of eating dairy and gluten free. I am also trying make root vegetables more of a staple than brown rice. Over all, i think i am doing a good job of not going overboard.

Good Luck and keep us posted

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 05/19/2013 9:00 am

Hi Sasch83, thanks, Accutane actually works 100%, but only while taking it, and I have been on so many courses that I have lost track. So, I don't want to do it anymore, my health must surely be suffering as a result.

Good luck to you too, I enjoy eating this way for the moment. Will have to see how fruits affect my skin in the long run, still too soon to tell.

I have a bit of break-out, 5 small actives, not bad considering I had to refrain from my diet for a meal on Friday and one Yesterday due to work and family affairs I could not get out of. It was predominantly meat with veggies, but with sauces etc. Had some red wine too which I blame for the actives. Somehow I always break-out from wine, even though it is a dry red wine.

Lunch: sheep and veggies stew, 1 small papaya

Snacks: chicken livers, 85% chocolate (1 block)

Still tired and depressed, I'm hoping Paleo will also improve my mood due to a more stable blood sugar level. Tried a few AD this past year or so, but could not live with the side effects.

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 05/19/2013 11:10 pm

Dinner last night: lamb and veggies stew

Breakfast: chicken and veggies stew (starting to wonder if gf steel cut oats are really such a bad thing, finding it rather difficult to eat stew for breakfast, maybe once I get clear and remain clear for some time...)

Mood and motivation: 2/10, terrible this morning, wish I could play sick, hopefully it will improve later on, will update

Energy: 4/10

Actives: 2 small ones

Also not having regular BM on this diet, maybe once a week, need a good probiotic perhaps, any suggestions?

MemberMember
(@lilo)

Posted : 05/21/2013 12:05 pm

B: grilled chicken, avo, strawberries, papaya, micro leaves salad

L: chicken and veggies stew

D: wild atlantic salmon and veggies (basically threw a side of fish in a pot with water, diced veggies and salt, cooked for an hour +, blended everything and wow, delicious)

Drinks: 3 black coffees, no sugar

Snacks: 1 block 85% chocolate, half a banana

Mood: 8/10, feel really good

Energy: 7/10

Skin: maybe 1 active, actually looks pretty good, almost softer and smoother, hope it lasts!

I have decided not to take any pills, so I'm not going to try probiotics yet.