Notifications
Clear all

Aczone And Ziana Adventures.

MemberMember
(@ohrandi)

Posted : 03/05/2012 11:22 am

This is my first post here so bear with me, I hope this is in the right place.

I'm posting here to keep tabs on my current skin care adventure. Here's a little background on me, hopefully this will help someone.

I'm 21, female. I'd consider my skin pretty normal, not overly oily or dry. However, when I was younger, starting around 13 I had awful acne. And I picked at it, resulting in a pretty good amount of scarring. (nothing that couldn't be covered with makeup) Anyway, I was put on the pill at 16 to help control my breakouts. It did help a lot, but I was still dealing with breakouts and the scarring. After trying everything, at 18 my dermatologist at the time put me on Tazorac and solodyn as a last resort before accutane. The solodyn made me bruise ridiculously easy so I stopped taking it after a month or so. I continued on Tazorac for maybe 4 months. It tore the crap out of my skin, but worked pretty well. I stopped using it and was relatively breakout free, until last October when I decided to stop taking the Pill. Terrible idea. I'm now a firm believer that the Pill is POISON. They don't tell you how awful it is to come off of after taking it continuously for 5 or 6 years. I started having severe migraines in January of 2011, so October 2011 I stopped the Pill after exhausting all other options for the migraines. Sure enough, the migraines stopped. Cue the breakouts.

So, my body is so messed up. It has forgotten how to produce its own hormones after being on the pill so long. I've started getting pimples all on my face again, as well as on my chest and back (I've NEVER had acne on my back, WTF?). I was going to just wait it out, but ended up seeing a new dermatologist in February for a myserious all over my body rash. when she saw my face she wanted me to try something for it. (I think I should be a little offended? lol) Anyway, after telling her my relatively successful use of Tazorac, she decided to put me on Aczone and Ziana. She said Ziana is similar to Tazorac, but not as harsh. And Aczone is a relatively new strong antibiotic gel that helps the inflammatory pimples disappear quicker. Here is my routine:

AM:

Dermalogica ultra calming cleanser

After 20 minutes, I apply the Aczone.

After another 20, I use Dermalogica ultra calming serum, followed by Dermalogica ultra calming barrier repair.

PM:

After 20 minutes, I apply the Ziana.

I tweak my routine slightly. If My skin starts to feel dry, I skip the Ziana and Aczone and use Dermalogica's utlra calming mask instead of the medication to give my skin a little break.

For makeup, I use bare minerals and have used them for the past few years. it seems to be the only makeup on the face of the earth that doesn't make me break out.

Anyway, it's been about 3 weeks on this routine, and I have to say, I am stunned. I am in the "initial breakout" phase, and it isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I have a new pimple pop up almost daily, but the aczone seems to make quick work of it and it's gone in maybe 2 days. But the amazing thing has been despite these pimples, my skin is starting to look almost glowy. it looks healthier now than it ever has, and it's only been 3 weeks. The scarring is disappearing right before my eyes. Even the Tazorac didn't seem to help this much.

And honestly, I think the Dermalogica has made a HUGE difference also. The ultra calming kit was designed for "sensitive and/or recently resurfaced skin". it's unbelievably moisturizing without being oily. that said, it's probably TOO moisturizing for normal skin. (When my skin clears up and I stop using the aczone and ziana, I will probably switch to a different dermalogica line, I think this kit would be too much. But since the aczone and ziana dry my skin out, it's the perfect combination for right now)

I have lurked this site for a long time, but I'm having such great results from this regimen I just had to join and share my experience. I'll be sure to keep everyone posted.

I haven't worn ANY makeup for a week now. Unheard of for me. And I feel great about it. I am so excited to see my skin improving daily. It's such a great feeling to be able to leave the house without foundation and not feel terrible about myself. That's the best part. Hands down.

MemberMember
(@leelowe1)

Posted : 03/10/2012 6:55 am

Good luck! i was on the exact same regimen but have since switched. Aczone is very gentle and i do believe it keeps inflammation at a minimum.

Ziana was not the solution for me but hoping that it works for you. I did a whole log on it so feel free to check it out. Word of advice though, don't get discouraged if you clear up, breakout, clear up, breakout - its a cycle that we all go through with retinoids.

MemberMember
(@collegeboy84)

Posted : 03/10/2012 11:29 pm

This is my first post here so bear with me, I hope this is in the right place.

I'm posting here to keep tabs on my current skin care adventure. Here's a little background on me, hopefully this will help someone.

I'm 21, female. I'd consider my skin pretty normal, not overly oily or dry. However, when I was younger, starting around 13 I had awful acne. And I picked at it, resulting in a pretty good amount of scarring. (nothing that couldn't be covered with makeup) Anyway, I was put on the pill at 16 to help control my breakouts. It did help a lot, but I was still dealing with breakouts and the scarring. After trying everything, at 18 my dermatologist at the time put me on Tazorac and solodyn as a last resort before accutane. The solodyn made me bruise ridiculously easy so I stopped taking it after a month or so. I continued on Tazorac for maybe 4 months. It tore the crap out of my skin, but worked pretty well. I stopped using it and was relatively breakout free, until last October when I decided to stop taking the Pill. Terrible idea. I'm now a firm believer that the Pill is POISON. They don't tell you how awful it is to come off of after taking it continuously for 5 or 6 years. I started having severe migraines in January of 2011, so October 2011 I stopped the Pill after exhausting all other options for the migraines. Sure enough, the migraines stopped. Cue the breakouts.

So, my body is so messed up. It has forgotten how to produce its own hormones after being on the pill so long. I've started getting pimples all on my face again, as well as on my chest and back (I've NEVER had acne on my back, WTF?). I was going to just wait it out, but ended up seeing a new dermatologist in February for a myserious all over my body rash. when she saw my face she wanted me to try something for it. (I think I should be a little offended? lol) Anyway, after telling her my relatively successful use of Tazorac, she decided to put me on Aczone and Ziana. She said Ziana is similar to Tazorac, but not as harsh. And Aczone is a relatively new strong antibiotic gel that helps the inflammatory pimples disappear quicker. Here is my routine:

AM:

After 20 minutes, I apply the Aczone.

After another 20, I use Dermalogica ultra calming serum, followed by Dermalogica ultra calming barrier repair.

PM:

After 20 minutes, I apply the Ziana.

I tweak my routine slightly. If My skin starts to feel dry, I skip the Ziana and Aczone and use Dermalogica's utlra calming mask instead of the medication to give my skin a little break.

For makeup, I use bare minerals and have used them for the past few years. it seems to be the only makeup on the face of the earth that doesn't make me break out.

Anyway, it's been about 3 weeks on this routine, and I have to say, I am stunned. I am in the "initial breakout" phase, and it isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I have a new pimple pop up almost daily, but the aczone seems to make quick work of it and it's gone in maybe 2 days. But the amazing thing has been despite these pimples, my skin is starting to look almost glowy. it looks healthier now than it ever has, and it's only been 3 weeks. The scarring is disappearing right before my eyes. Even the Tazorac didn't seem to help this much.

And honestly, I think the Dermalogica has made a HUGE difference also. The ultra calming kit was designed for "sensitive and/or recently resurfaced skin". it's unbelievably moisturizing without being oily. that said, it's probably TOO moisturizing for normal skin. (When my skin clears up and I stop using the aczone and ziana, I will probably switch to a different dermalogica line, I think this kit would be too much. But since the aczone and ziana dry my skin out, it's the perfect combination for right now)

I have lurked this site for a long time, but I'm having such great results from this regimen I just had to join and share my experience. I'll be sure to keep everyone posted.

I haven't worn ANY makeup for a week now. Unheard of for me. And I feel great about it. I am so excited to see my skin improving daily. It's such a great feeling to be

able to leave the house without foundation and not feel terrible about myself. That's the best part. Hands down.

Welcome and grats! Aczone has been a godsend for myself as well.

MemberMember
(@swimchick1975)

Posted : 05/27/2013 3:37 pm

It's so great to hear from someone whose skin is clearing up with the Ziana plus Aczone combo! I just reached the 1 month mark and I have JUST started to see results (my skin is super super sensitive so this is understandable). However, your post gives me hope that it will get better from here on out! :) Keep updating!!

MemberMember
(@jessicac1970)

Posted : 06/28/2013 8:50 pm

Is the Aczone expensive? I have crappy insurance... I'm desperate for help. 42 with horrible cysticacne on my chin and neck...

MemberMember
(@mille211)

Posted : 10/10/2014 8:51 pm

How has the ziana worked out? I started ziana 3 weeks ago and am still breaking out. Have you been consistently clear with the ziana? How long did it take before you were consistently clear?