Notifications
Clear all

Vegan, No Refined Foods Acne Diary

MemberMember
(@jennifer36)

Posted : 10/24/2011 12:25 pm

Day 28.

Almost done! I'm still contemplating extending my diet, since I just started the spirulina. I took 7 or 8 grams of it yesterday, and I'm at 4 so far today. Even though right now's the time for hormonal acne, I only have a few little whiteheads. I think that's already results from the spirulina, or maybe my diet is finally paying off. Either way, things are looking up again. I'm still waiting for my chlorella to come in, and I can't wait to start taking them together. There's actually an improvement from my last post, so I'll post new pictures. The redness is fading a lot faster since starting the spirulina (just last thursday), and new spots are smaller, and less frequent. Also my overall skintone has gotten even better.

post-142175-0-47098800-1319477127_thumb.post-142175-0-34753200-1319477113_thumb.

post-142175-0-34753200-1319477113_thumb.

post-142175-0-47098800-1319477127_thumb.

MemberMember
(@jennifer36)

Posted : 10/25/2011 6:20 pm

Day 29!

Not much change since yesterday, except all the acne on my left cheek has dried out, (finally). My spirulina and chlorella powder are finally here, I'm picking them up tomorrow. I am going to eat oneee piece of chocolate on thursday, and see what happens. Beyond that I want to give my diet either a week or ten more days, with the spirulina/chlorella powder to see if that makes even more of an improvement.

breakfast: peanut butter & twelve grain toast, green tea

snack: 2 apples

lunch: apple w/ peanut butter

dinner: baked potato, peppers/broccoli/celery stir fried with olive oil and garlic.

will have smoothie, dandelion tea shortly.

so far only 4 grams of spirulina.

I've noticed that I eat an abnormal amount of apples. Usually at least 4 per day.. They're so convenient and easy to bring with me to work.

MemberMember
(@jennifer36)

Posted : 10/26/2011 3:35 pm

Day 30!!!

I'm not sure how I survived. I currently have 3 pimples on my right cheek and a few little whiteheads. I got my spirulina and chlorella powders today, I was so excited to make them into a smoothie but it's so grosssss! Anyone have any tips on masking the flavour?

Will post pictures later.

MemberMember
(@user142279)

Posted : 10/26/2011 4:35 pm

Awesome that things are improving Jennifer!

It'll take about 2-3 weeks for most people to get used to the taste. Coming from a person who used to gag at the taste of vegetables, I promise you'll get used to it :) A lot of it is a mental obstacle. When I started adding spirulina to my smoothies, I decided to bulk up on fruit more in my smoothies, and that helped quite a bit. Another thing that makes a huge difference is hemp protein imo, it pretty much dominates the flavor of anything it's added into. I also just go for tablets when it comes to chlorella, I prefer chlorella fella's brand since they have free shipping and good sales, cheapest that I could find while still being good quality (not from china or japan, etc). Hawaiian spirulina is supposedly tastes better, which you can get by Now. If it's tablets, I'd go for naturalnews spirulina, which is by the same taiwanese company that makes chlorellafellas chlorella. Bulk is always cheaper!

As far as them helping acne, they've cleared up my friends minor acne for the most part. There's so many health benefits, I could go on and on about them From the pictures, it seems like your redness has gone down a lot! Oh, and some people use chlorella/spirulina as a spot treatment, chlorella in particular is known for promoting wound healing. So do you think you're okay with peanut butter, or that there may be some other possible food triggers? Any ideas of what made it come back in the first place?

MemberMember
(@popsi)

Posted : 10/26/2011 8:26 pm

Hi Jennifer, Hi Tim,

I received my Spirulina powder today as well. I mixed 9 grams of it with 1 tbsp of Rice Protein + 1 banana + 2 cups of water + 1 drop of Stevia and I nearly vomited. It was so disgusting.

Before I took Spirulina tablets (500mg per tablet) / 12 per day which was more convenient but also more expensive.

Not sure how to mask the flavour. It also smells disgusting. crazy.gif

MemberMember
(@user142279)

Posted : 10/26/2011 8:28 pm

try to lower the amount and increase your amount over time, this way your taste buds will be exposed to the spirulina and you'll be able to tolerate the taste more as time goes on. :D

MemberMember
(@jennifer36)

Posted : 10/27/2011 10:04 pm

Day 31

Awesome that things are improving Jennifer!

It'll take about 2-3 weeks for most people to get used to the taste. Coming from a person who used to gag at the taste of vegetables, I promise you'll get used to it smile.png A lot of it is a mental obstacle. When I started adding spirulina to my smoothies, I decided to bulk up on fruit more in my smoothies, and that helped quite a bit. Another thing that makes a huge difference is hemp protein imo, it pretty much dominates the flavor of anything it's added into. I also just go for tablets when it comes to chlorella, I prefer chlorella fella's brand since they have free shipping and good sales, cheapest that I could find while still being good quality (not from china or japan, etc). Hawaiian spirulina is supposedly tastes better, which you can get by Now. If it's tablets, I'd go for naturalnews spirulina, which is by the same taiwanese company that makes chlorellafellas chlorella. Bulk is always cheaper!

As far as them helping acne, they've cleared up my friends minor acne for the most part. There's so many health benefits, I could go on and on about them lol.gif From the pictures, it seems like your redness has gone down a lot! Oh, and some people use chlorella/spirulina as a spot treatment, chlorella in particular is known for promoting wound healing. So do you think you're okay with peanut butter, or that there may be some other possible food triggers? Any ideas of what made it come back in the first place?

MemberMember
(@popsi)

Posted : 11/01/2011 9:04 pm

Hey Jennifer, how are you and how is your skin doing? :)

MemberMember
(@monopoly)

Posted : 11/01/2011 9:32 pm

Hello! Just stumbled on your log as I was looking through the new content and saw 'vegan'. I applaud your decision very much because you are not only improving your health, but you're also benefiting animals and the environment.

Please don't quit your vegan diet! Meat and dairy is just filled with hormones and crap that we really shouldn't have. Also, maybe you've found a correlation to dairy and your acne? I know that I did. Also, I mean, vegetables aren't going to hurt you. :)

I don't know if being vegan clears acne, however it certainly does ward off many other diseases. In a lot of cases it reverts them (like in the case of heart disease).

So a little about me...I went on Accutane after having acne for half my life this spring, and I am now acne free. I do have some scarring here and there, but that's something the lasers will take care of once I'm done Accutane (tapering off it now to a lower dose). In the middle of my Accutane treatment though I decided to go vegan and I didn't even mention it to my derm as it didn't cross my mind. I was/am getting monthly blood tests so I figured if my vegan diet was bad it would obviously show up in the blood test, nope. Veganism while on Accutane has fared very well for me, I don't get any breakouts, and I can even skip a day without washing my face and nothing will happen.

Following this type of diet (I don't mean it as 'diet like get skinny' diet, but as 'a way of eating' diet) is life-changing if done properly. There is great information and documentaries that link health to diet (The China Project) out there, so hopefully that encourages you with your lifestyle choice. :)

For the record my acne was a bit worse than yours as it extended past my cheeks and down around my chin a lot, I literally had a beard of acne, seriously depressing and hard to think how I got by. Obviously I credit Accutane for my progress, and I highly encourage you look into this medication for yourself as I think it'll give you the results you're looking for. I'm totally all for going about things 'the natural way', but in a situation like this I recommend going a little over the edge.

I hope things get better for you and please don't give up!! :)

MemberMember
(@jennifer36)

Posted : 11/01/2011 11:56 pm

Hello! Just stumbled on your log as I was looking through the new content and saw 'vegan'. I applaud your decision very much because you are not only improving your health, but you're also benefiting animals and the environment.

Please don't quit your vegan diet! Meat and dairy is just filled with hormones and crap that we really shouldn't have. Also, maybe you've found a correlation to dairy and your acne? I know that I did. Also, I mean, vegetables aren't going to hurt you. smile.png

For the record my acne was a bit worse than yours as it extended past my cheeks and down around my chin a lot, I literally had a beard of acne, seriously depressing and hard to think how I got by. Obviously I credit Accutane for my progress, and I highly encourage you look into this medication for yourself as I think it'll give you the results you're looking for. I'm totally all for going about things 'the natural way', but in a situation like this I recommend going a little over the edge.

I actually went on accutane before. It kept my skin clear for about 6 months post accutane but since then it's been spiralling downwards. I also have permanant joint pain from the accutane in my wrists, elbows, knees and most severely my ankles. It's not constant but the ankles REALLLY hurt when I've been standing for only a few hours. My skin's much more on track now. I credit that partially to the diet, mainly to adding spirulina/chlorella to my diet. I've actually been a vegetarian for over a year now, not related to my skin, just for ethical reasons. I am nearly vegan, since finishing my diet I do eat organic honey now (I heard it's good for my skin).

Hey Jennifer, how are you and how is your skin doing? smile.png

I'm good! And my skin is doing better than my last post. I've been taking 10+ grams spirulina each day and 6+ chlorella and I'm starting to really see an improvement. Since it was halloween yesterday I had a bit of a chocolate binge, eek. Although no new zits from that yet thank goodness. My acne scars are healing up faster than I expected (due to the chlorella I think), and I haven't been getting as many new spots. I'll post a picture shortly, right now I have a spirulina mask on! Haha, I'm addicted to this stuff.

Since I did not get the dramatic results I'd hoped for with my diet, I am going to try a slightly different approach. I am going to eat healthy, and low sodium, low sugar, and limit refined/processed foods. I'll treat myself once in a while, but basically I'm just going to eat healthy and not stress about it quite so much. I'm going to take my spirulina and chlorella religiously, as well as my protein powder, multivitamin and vitamin c. I'm still going to drink lots of green/white/oolong/roobios teas, as well as dandelion and chamomile. I'll try this for a while and keep posting with my results.

Yesterday for the first time I tried a spirulina/chlorella mask. I read an article about this 15 year old boy with severe acne, who cleared it 4 weeks with spirulina tablets and spirulina masks every day. The article just said mix spirulina with moisturizer until it's dark green, and I tried it out. It was easy to prepare, easy to put on, smelled gross though. I used both spirulina AND chlorella in my mask. I kept it on for 20 minutes, and when I washed my face off I was shocked. My skin was glowing like I've never seen it before and it calmed ALL my acne spots down, as well as helped with scarring instantly. I really recommend trying this. I'm going to do these daily and post about the results. I have one on right now actually. I'll take a picture after I wash my face and upload them so everyone can see my progress.

To update, this is my new regimen. I'll post pictures at least once per week.

Eating healthy, limit refined foods. Generally low sodium and low sugar. When bad food is eaten take chlorella, dandelion tea, lots of water right after. 10+ grams spirulina daily, 6+ chlorella.

AM

wash face with korres white tea cleanser, tone with green teabags, moisturize with korres pomegranate balancing moisturizer, derma e very clear spot treatment

PM

wash face w/ water & pat dry, apply spirulina/chlorella mask, leave on for 20 minutes, wash face w/ korres white tea cleanser, tone w/ chamomile teabags

avoid makeup, contact with any and all oils, keep clean sheets/towels always.

I look like a swamp creature with this mask on. I smell like one too, yuck.

Fresh after PM regimen

post-142175-0-72968000-1320209643_thumb. The only active spots on this side are the teeny tiny little two right near my ear, rest are red marks, hooray!

post-142175-0-56060100-1320209633_thumb. Three active spots on this side, one medium sized one bottom right near the jawline, one little one above that, one under my lip and right a little bit. The rest there are red marks, getting there!

Also have some teeny tiny little whiteheads under my nose, not worried about them though you can't even notice them.

MemberMember
(@popsi)

Posted : 11/02/2011 3:41 pm

Hey Jennifer, glad to hear things are going well. :)

Yeah, I also started doing Spirulina masks 1 week ago. I mix it with a little bit clay (Fullers Earth Clay) and water an apply it to my face, wait until it hardens (20 minutes) and then wash it off. And also my skin is glowing thereafter and is super soft! I look funny with the mask on (swamp monster, lol) but it is really worth it. The redmarks fade rapidly.

I take around 5-6 grams of Spirulina per day. I know I should take more, but I hate the taste. I "like" it best mixed with carrot juice. I juice 3 carrots and then add the Spirulina powder. The carrots mask the Spirulina taste pretty good, better than everything else I have tried.

MemberMember
(@user142279)

Posted : 11/02/2011 6:59 pm

Glad spirulina and chlorella have been doing so much for you! I started using them as a mask/spot treatment again, I stopped the last time I had a clear spell I like to mix mine with a bit of powdered oatmeal to help it adhere, and oatmeal works pretty awesome for some people, healing beta glucans and whatnot.

MemberMember
(@jennifer36)

Posted : 11/04/2011 4:11 pm

Hey Jennifer, glad to hear things are going well. smile.png

Yeah, I also started doing Spirulina masks 1 week ago. I mix it with a little bit clay (Fullers Earth Clay) and water an apply it to my face, wait until it hardens (20 minutes) and then wash it off. And also my skin is glowing thereafter and is super soft! I look funny with the mask on (swamp monster, lol) but it is really worth it. The redmarks fade rapidly.

I take around 5-6 grams of Spirulina per day. I know I should take more, but I hate the taste. I "like" it best mixed with carrot juice. I juice 3 carrots and then add the Spirulina powder. The carrots mask the Spirulina taste pretty good, better than everything else I have tried.

I'll try maybe adding some clay! I find banana and lots of mixed berries help with the taste, I'm drinking a smoothie with 12 grams spirulina, 5 grams chlorella, my protein powder, a banana, mixed berries and some water and it's actually really yummy! I've been trying to do one smoothie like this per day, and I take about 5 grams of each in the morning in tablets, and 2 grams of each in pill form before bed.

Glad spirulina and chlorella have been doing so much for you! I started using them as a mask/spot treatment again, I stopped the last time I had a clear spell lol.gif I like to mix mine with a bit of powdered oatmeal to help it adhere, and oatmeal works pretty awesome for some people, healing beta glucans and whatnot.

I'll try the oatmeal thing tomorrow, I still have some mixed up (enough for tonight). What exactly is your recipe for your mask?

My skin is doing a lot better, I have a new pimple but it keeps rapidly shrinking from the spirulina masks. I find the pimples I do have rapidly disappear, and never get really red or severe. Time for pictures!

post-142175-0-30325100-1320441075_thumb.post-142175-0-85558700-1320441065_thumb.

MemberMember
(@user142279)

Posted : 11/04/2011 4:28 pm

Things are improving I see! For the mask, I usually use about a quarter to half a tbsn of chlorella, same amount for spirulina, and 1-2 tbsn of oatmeal powerder. I add just enough water to where the mixture is slightly runny, but more thick than runny so that it'll adhere to your face. Glad you adjusted to the taste of the algae, it certainly took me some getting used too

I've been doing the mask for about 3 days now, pretty big difference in terms of a healthy glow. I forgot how fast PIH and actives heal with this mask! I'm thinking about modifying the recipe and adding some clay for an overnight spot treatment for actives, I'll let you know how that goes. Lately I've ditched spot treatments just because of the hassle and overall mediocre results.

MemberMember
(@swallowed_inthesea)

Posted : 11/05/2011 7:54 am

Wow your skin is looking great! Absolutely glowing. You must be so pleased.

MemberMember
(@jennifer36)

Posted : 11/05/2011 11:51 am

Things are improving I see! For the mask, I usually use about a quarter to half a tbsn of chlorella, same amount for spirulina, and 1-2 tbsn of oatmeal powerder. I add just enough water to where the mixture is slightly runny, but more thick than runny so that it'll adhere to your face. Glad you adjusted to the taste of the algae, it certainly took me some getting used too lol.gif

I've been doing the mask for about 3 days now, pretty big difference in terms of a healthy glow. I forgot how fast PIH and actives heal with this mask! I'm thinking about modifying the recipe and adding some clay for an overnight spot treatment for actives, I'll let you know how that goes. Lately I've ditched spot treatments just because of the hassle and overall mediocre results.

Definitely let me know how that goes! My spot treatment (derma e very clear) had been working really well at first but isn't as effective now that I've been using it for over a month. I'm going to try out your mask recipe tonight, I've been just using moisturizer + spirulina and chlorella but anything with less ingredients seems appealing to me. Especially with oatmeal!

Wow your skin is looking great! Absolutely glowing. You must be so pleased.

Thanks! You just made my week :). I am really proud of my skin now, although it's been a lot of work. There's still a little ways to go but I'm happy there's been such good progress.

I've been trying to eat generally healthy but the leftover halloween candy keeps tempting me.. We didn't have very many kids come to the door, so there's so much candy leftover. I've indulged a bit, but my skin isn't covered in cysts like it usually would be, thank you spirulina + chlorella. My eczema is also slowly going away, I'd read spirulina and chlorella could help with that too. I'm happy because now I don't need steroid creams to clear it.

From not eating basically ANY junk while I was on my diet, no refined sugars and added salts I can't even imagine eating some things. The idea of a veggie burger and fries from Harvey's makes me squirm now, all that oil and salt and fat. I couldn't imagine putting that into my body. I also don't crave salty food the way I did before. Sugars is a different story, I lovee chocolate still, but once it's lout of the house and not tempting me anymore I'll be a lot better.

MemberMember
(@jennifer36)

Posted : 11/07/2011 10:42 pm

Not a HUGE improvement since last time, two new zits, the chocolate finally caught up with me. The rest of the red marks are slowly but surely healing, the two new zits aren't so bad, the one on my forehead came up like a nodule yesterday afternoon but is already going down, so I'm impressed. The one on my chin is a pimple, but not a really bad one. In general I'm much happier with my skin, and am patiently awaiting the active spots to vanish.

I find the spirulina mask with oatmeal to be drying, and somewhat exfoliating, I worry about it maybe irritating my skin. Tonight I went back to the spirulina mask with moisturizer to give my skin a bit of a break.

MemberMember
(@user142279)

Posted : 11/07/2011 10:57 pm

I usually don't let the mask dry, kind of like a wet leave on mask for about 5 minutes. I need to find myself and affordable moisturizer to try out that version of the mask with! Have you tried making your own chocolate goods? I want to experiment with brownies, real cocoa powder, stevia, extra virgin coconut oil, coconut flour, etc.

MemberMember
(@jennifer36)

Posted : 11/09/2011 5:44 pm

I actually haven't tried that but it sounds interesting! And I'm going to try that with my mask tonight! It sounds like it would solve the oatmeal mask issues I've been having. Also I use nivea visage rich moisturizing day care in the mask with spirulina and chlorella. It's fairly cheap (about 5-6 dollars Canadian). It's never wowed me as an outstanding product, but in the mask it works.

MemberMember
(@jennifer36)

Posted : 11/11/2011 8:40 pm

Eek. I've been on a chocolate binge this past week/two weeks. Some form of it everyday and my skin is starting to show it. I mean not as badly as it would have before the spirulina but still. I'm punishing myself by drinking spirulina/chlorella with water, rather than in a smoothie, gag. Nose plugged and chasing with with juice, then more water. Really disgusting, have to think about this next time I want to eat chocolate everyday. I have two pimples by my mouth, two on my cheeks and some teensy tiny little whiteheads around the red marks on both my cheeks. At least I now have significant proof that chocolate causes me to break out.

Tonight I'm going to steam my pores, as well as do my spirulina/chlorella mask. The chlorella smells WAYYYY worse than the spirulina, and it's much more unbearable to drink. I`ve also been under more stress lately with work. I work in a Roots clothing store and it`s 25% off entire store and it`s been crazy leading up to and during the past few days and next few day. Busy and stressful and so much work to do prepping for holiday shopping season.

I`ll edit this post later on when I`m on my macbook (way better webcam) so you can see my backwards progress.

MemberMember
(@chestercool)

Posted : 11/20/2011 5:47 pm

Hi there!

Fist of all i gotta say you are very pretty, i'd definitly take you out haha

how old are you? i've been reading you eat peanut butter, you should cut it off, chocolate aswell, unless its dark natural sugar free chocolate

Gluten triggers many peoples acne, try cutting gluten aswell :)

good luck! let me know more about your progress

MemberMember
(@ohsailor)

Posted : 11/21/2011 3:37 am

Your skin is improving so much!

Interesting to read your log as I am a vegan + am interested in buying either spirulina or chlorella to assist with my acne healing.

You're definitely persuading me to go for it and purchase some!

Hope work isn't too stressful for you!

MemberMember
(@jennifer36)

Posted : 11/21/2011 7:52 pm

Hi there!

Fist of all i gotta say you are very pretty, i'd definitly take you out haha

how old are you? i've been reading you eat peanut butter, you should cut it off, chocolate aswell, unless its dark natural sugar free chocolate

Gluten triggers many peoples acne, try cutting gluten aswell smile.png

good luck! let me know more about your progress

I've cut down a lot on peanut butter (it's the natural, 100% peanuts only kind) but I've been thinking about cutting it out altogether. I'm 20 years old. I've basically got back onto my skin diet, and eat super healthy again.

Your skin is improving so much!

Interesting to read your log as I am a vegan + am interested in buying either spirulina or chlorella to assist with my acne healing.

You're definitely persuading me to go for it and purchase some!

Hope work isn't too stressful for you!

Spirulina and chlorella are so helpful!!! I slacked on taking them last week and saw negative results after a few days. I'm back on taking them 10-20grams spirulina a day, 8-15 chlorella and no new zits since I started taking more. Besides, they both make me feel so much better. Proteins, vitamins, amino acids and such. Plus the mask works wonders. It's stinky and hard to wash off though which is a pain. The pills are much easier to take than the powder, so I'd recommend pills over powder any day for convenience and taste.

post-142175-0-07745500-1321923171_thumb.post-142175-0-58513100-1321923160_thumb.

MemberMember
(@kingaroo)

Posted : 11/22/2011 4:52 pm

Hey! I basically am just starting a similar diet challenge. I decided I'm going to try going vegan for 30 days and see how it affects my skin, how I feel, etc. The worst of my acne is in the past, and now I pretty much just get some breakouts around my chin/jaw. (What I'm guessing is hormonal) Also, it seems like recently my shoulders and back have been getting more, (probably from picking at them...) but I just want to see if I can clear up my skin once and for all. Completely. My main issue right now is my pores that my skin type/having acne for 6ish years has left me. (I'm almost 17)

Good luck girl! I'll try to pop in from time to time and leave updates/see how you and whoever else that joins is doing. (:

MemberMember
(@jennifer36)

Posted : 11/22/2011 8:45 pm

Hey! I basically am just starting a similar diet challenge. I decided I'm going to try going vegan for 30 days and see how it affects my skin, how I feel, etc. The worst of my acne is in the past, and now I pretty much just get some breakouts around my chin/jaw. (What I'm guessing is hormonal) Also, it seems like recently my shoulders and back have been getting more, (probably from picking at them...) but I just want to see if I can clear up my skin once and for all. Completely. My main issue right now is my pores that my skin type/having acne for 6ish years has left me. (I'm almost 17)

Good luck girl! I'll try to pop in from time to time and leave updates/see how you and whoever else that joins is doing. (:

Do you normally eat meat? If so you should find a good vegan protein otherwise you'll be exhausted after the first few days. Also try some detoxing with your diet, dandelion tea really helped my skin while I was drinking it (but it tastes gross so it's hard to stick to). I've heard that chlorella helps regulate hormones, so it could be beneficial to you, especially with your likely hormonal acne. My acne shifted around age 18-19 to become more on my cheeks and such, less along the jawline. So I get less hormonal acne, but still got other acne (my cheeks, mainly the right one). Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones whose acne goes away right around 18-19. Most of my friends are all acne free now, as if they just grew out of it magically after highschool. Good luck!!!