Notifications
Clear all

Success at last! My story

MemberMember
(@jollyhohnson)

Posted : 06/13/2012 4:19 pm

Hi Abigail!

I've just recently started a treatment of Epiduo and Tetralysal and my first week has been hell. Finding acne.org was a godsend and I'd like to say that your story has really given me the hope and encouragement I needed. I've had acne since 12/13 years old, on and off, and it got really bad when I reached 15/16. Used Clindi-something or other, a topical lotion, which seemed to clear it up but it never disappeared completely. I'm now 21 and my acne this year has been awful. I'm hoping Epiduo will be my solution. Reading your posts has been incredibly helpful and your skin looks so good! Hoping that'll be me in a few months time.

I want to start my own acne journal on here and was wondering which forum I post it in? Forums like these are so much more informative than all the official spot treatment sites.Thanks.

As for a moisturiser - I currently use La Roche-Posay EFFACLAR H, which describes it's target as 'Oily skin made fragile by over-drying skincare' and I find it moisturises well, is gentle, and doesn't produce too much extra shine. It's also non-comedogenic and contains glycerin. Also, the Body Shop do a seaweed day moisturiser that is designed to control shine, which I found was really nice to use and didn't provoke breakouts - though I'm not sure if it is non-comedogenic.

MemberMember
(@abigailwheeler)

Posted : 06/26/2012 5:21 am

Hi Abigail!

I've just recently started a treatment of Epiduo and Tetralysal and my first week has been hell. Finding acne.org was a godsend and I'd like to say that your story has really given me the hope and encouragement I needed. I've had acne since 12/13 years old, on and off, and it got really bad when I reached 15/16. Used Clindi-something or other, a topical lotion, which seemed to clear it up but it never disappeared completely. I'm now 21 and my acne this year has been awful. I'm hoping Epiduo will be my solution. Reading your posts has been incredibly helpful and your skin looks so good! Hoping that'll be me in a few months time.

I want to start my own acne journal on here and was wondering which forum I post it in? Forums like these are so much more informative than all the official spot treatment sites.Thanks.

I felt the same about the org during my journey through acne. The support you will receive from here is invaluable, the advice is so enlightening.

I'm so glad that my story has helped you, I'm in the process of starting a blog which will include my adventures with epiduo hopefully to help more people. At first I was embarrassed to share the photos of my skin at its worst but now I see how important they are for showing the progress I made through Epiduo.

For a journal on here, I just started a post. I really recommend making a photo diary too, it will give you encouragement and allow you to see just how much progress you've made. When you're clear its easy to forget where you've come from, the pictures keep me grounded.

Do you have anyone in your life that you share your feelings with RE acne? Whilst these forums are so good for that it's also really important that you have someone to hold you tight and hug you when you need that extra support.

As for a moisturiser - I currently use La Roche-Posay EFFACLAR H, which describes it's target as 'Oily skin made fragile by over-drying skincare' and I find it moisturises well, is gentle, and doesn't produce too much extra shine. It's also non-comedogenic and contains glycerin. Also, the Body Shop do a seaweed day moisturiser that is designed to control shine, which I found was really nice to use and didn't provoke breakouts - though I'm not sure if it is non-comedogenic.

I did look into getting La Roche Posay Extreme fluid. After watching this video about sun damage

http://youtu.be/bUYXfovG6w8 

I was really keen to get a high SPF that didn't break me out. Other than that I just carry a Clinique powder compact with me all the time to blot the shine. Makes me feel tres sophisticated getting my powder puff out in public smile.png

MemberMember
(@ghost08)

Posted : 06/27/2012 2:02 pm

Sunscreen is very important to my regimen. I have had skin cancer before, so preventative measures are important to me :]

MemberMember
(@jollyhohnson)

Posted : 06/30/2012 6:56 am

I felt the same about the org during my journey through acne. The support you will receive from here is invaluable, the advice is so enlightening.

I'm so glad that my story has helped you, I'm in the process of starting a blog which will include my adventures with epiduo hopefully to help more people. At first I was embarrassed to share the photos of my skin at its worst but now I see how important they are for showing the progress I made through Epiduo.

For a journal on here, I just started a post. I really recommend making a photo diary too, it will give you encouragement and allow you to see just how much progress you've made. When you're clear its easy to forget where you've come from, the pictures keep me grounded.

Do you have anyone in your life that you share your feelings with RE acne? Whilst these forums are so good for that it's also really important that you have someone to hold you tight and hug you when you need that extra support.

I've been keeping track of my skin and will hopefully post up what I've written so far soon. I did take some photos, but eventually deleted them because they were just so depressing. I'll have to get up the courage to take some more though because it's helpful to have some perspective.

Yeah, I'm lucky in that I have some great friends, wonderful family and a very supportive bf. I'm currently abroad and was when I started the treatment so none of them have really seen my skin up close and I'm hoping by the time I go back it will be looking better.

MemberMember
(@abigailwheeler)

Posted : 10/30/2012 11:58 am

Hi Everyone. I've started writing a blog which is basically inspired from my experiences with acne and documenting it here. I'd really appreciate it if anyone would consider following me or maybe having a look? I only started uploading two days ago, it's pretty much reviews of products and details of my experiences with acne and maintaining clear skin.

Thank you acne.org xx

[Removed]

I forgot to post the link

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 11/02/2012 9:10 am

Hi! Your blog is super cute and informative!

Your acne struggles are similar to mine. I haven't tried Epiduo, but right now I'm trying Paula's Choice CLEAR system. It's actually working so well! I'm in my third month of using it, and finally am starting to not think about my acne so much due to the fact that it's not really there!! biggrin.png I still have red marks, but the AHA I'm using is helping with those. Except I keep picking, so I get more red marks. Ooooopsies.

So, I read that you're looking for something to remove blackheads. Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid is AWESOME for blackheads on the nose. Like, awesome. Cleans them right out. It's weird, but when you're rubbing it in, sometimes the blackheads just fall right out.

biggrin.png So happy for you!

MemberMember
(@abigailwheeler)

Posted : 11/02/2012 2:04 pm

Hi! Your blog is super cute and informative!

Your acne struggles are similar to mine. I haven't tried Epiduo, but right now I'm trying Paula's Choice CLEAR system. It's actually working so well! I'm in my third month of using it, and finally am starting to not think about my acne so much due to the fact that it's not really there!! biggrin.png I still have red marks, but the AHA I'm using is helping with those. Except I keep picking, so I get more red marks. Ooooopsies.

So, I read that you're looking for something to remove blackheads. Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid is AWESOME for blackheads on the nose. Like, awesome. Cleans them right out. It's weird, but when you're rubbing it in, sometimes the blackheads just fall right out.

biggrin.png So happy for you!

Thank you for your feedback on my blog! I am really enjoying writing it. Even though I know the photos aren't very attractive I'm hoping that it will help anyone struggling like I did to feel not alone.

I have been really wanting to try an AHA or BHA for blackheads but I never seem to be able to find anything on the UK market. I'll put the Paula's Choice BHA on my christmas list!

I know this is terribly timed advice considering the season but I noticed a dramatic reduction in my red marks after going on holiday abroad (places much more sunny than the UK and I always spend heaps of time outside when I'm on my jollies), the other thing I found helped was doing a gentle lemon juice 'peel', basically putting lemon juice on my face while I'm in the bath. I know you've probably tried the latter because lemon juice is RAVED about on here.

Good luck though, I'm so happy to hear you've found something that's working for you! Isn't it just a super feeling when you realise that you've not worried about your skin for a whole day! The relief of not thinking about it all the time is nearly as good as the progress you see in the mirror.

xx

MemberMember
(@abigailwheeler)

Posted : 11/02/2012 3:22 pm

One more thing, for some shameless self promotion, I make my own toner specifically for keeping acne away and healing red marks and scars. I think it works well for me, maybe it will work for you?

[Removed]

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 11/02/2012 6:55 pm

My red marks are always less noticeable in the summer, so I think that Vitamin D helps the skin with the healing! You're definitely on to something with the sun theory.

I have heard about lemon juice "peels," but I have yet to try it out. I think that your toner looks great! I've tried all of those ingredients (besides the lemon juice) and have seen results with them. You're a genius for putting them all together! I'll let you know how it works for me! biggrin.png I think the toner might also help with my boyfriend's razor burn.

Also, even though you have acne in your "before" photos, you're still beautiful! Seriously! :)

MemberMember
(@abigailwheeler)

Posted : 11/05/2012 4:23 am

My red marks are always less noticeable in the summer, so I think that Vitamin D helps the skin with the healing! You're definitely on to something with the sun theory.

I have heard about lemon juice "peels," but I have yet to try it out. I think that your toner looks great! I've tried all of those ingredients (besides the lemon juice) and have seen results with them. You're a genius for putting them all together! I'll let you know how it works for me! biggrin.png I think the toner might also help with my boyfriend's razor burn.

Also, even though you have acne in your "before" photos, you're still beautiful! Seriously! smile.png

I looked through your gallery and I can barely see any red marks! Although I know from personal experience that you can't help but be drawn to looking critically at your skin. You've made amazing progress though, yay! Do you find the photo diary helps keep your spirits up? I think that marking progress and getting the chance to look at your face as a whole rather than your eyes just focusing on the worst in the mirror is really helpful.

Also, you are gorgeous! You have such beautiful lips.

I don't know where in the USA you are but I'm hoping that you've not been affected by Sandy. All you Americans have been in my thoughts. x

MemberMember
(@hitea)

Posted : 11/09/2012 5:34 pm

Thanks for the compliment! *blush*

Most of the pictures that I have in my gallery are from last year when I actually got pretty clear. Having those pictures did really help me. Now I have progress pictures on my phone which I have not posted on here that are helping me see which sort of results I'm getting.

My boyfriend and I have started using your toner. I really like it!! My boyfriend shaved and then used it, and he didn't end up with ANY razor burn and usually he gets it really bad! So, that's really exciting!

Do you usually use it twice a day or just once at night or in the morning?

As for Hurricane Sandy, I do live in the East, but not the Northeast, so we didn't get hit, thankfully. Those who did get hit got hit hard though, and I've got lots of friends up there, so thanks for your thoughts! :)

MemberMember
(@cubb)

Posted : 11/24/2012 2:10 am

Do you think a moisturizer is necessary with epiduo? My dermatologist said that i should be fine without one but looking at all these posts it seems that i need to be on one so i won't have as much irritation. Also how long did it take to see initial results from the prescription?