Notifications
Clear all

*****spironolactone/retin A Micro Log***** I Am Clear!

MemberMember
(@tryingforonehotmail-com)

Posted : 09/22/2010 9:37 pm

DAY 22

Things seem to be gettng better each day. For the first time in 5 months I feel I'm back in control. Thank you, Jesus.

Although the acne is on its way out, I do have to deal with the PIH, not fun. I don't expect a full recovery from the red marks for 6 months. Hopefully, I won't be adding new ones along the way.

MemberMember

Posted : 09/28/2010 12:08 pm

FOUR WEEKS/ ONE MONTH

RIGHT SIDE: ZERO red, active pimples, ZERO (pink) healing, 1 clogged pore

LEFT SIDE: ZERO red, active pimples, 4 (pink) healing, 5 clogged pores

CHIN: ZERO

Forehead: ZERO

Red marks: Counting the healing pimples, I have 5-8, depending on how picky I am being.

Opps, I did it again, I picked some of the clogged pores a few days ago, and of course I only made them worse, and now they are healing/pink.

The left side of my face is so problematic. I can't understand it. This week is fairly comparable to last week, since I caused the clogged pores to turn into pimples. The left side just won't drop below 10. Everything else is really good. But the left side looks HORRENDOUS because of my self-inflicted abuse.

MemberMember

Posted : 09/29/2010 2:16 pm

I forgot to note this yesterday. Although my face appears to be getting better, within the last 4 days, I have been getting pimples in my scalp (4), back (2), one on my chest and embarrassingly enough, 4 on my rear. This is extremely unusual for me. And they are painful pimples. I don't know what to make of it.

MemberMember

Posted : 10/05/2010 2:09 pm

FIVE WEEKS

RIGHT SIDE: ZERO red, active pimples, ZERO (pink) healing, 0 clogged pores

LEFT SIDE: ZERO red, active pimples, 1 (pink) healing, 2 clogged pores

Red marks: Counting the healing pimples, I have 3-5, depending on how picky I am being.

Things are going GREAT!! The left side of my face is finally improving. I have been fighting this battle since May 2010, and after 4 months, I think I'm winning. If things continue are this rate, I should be completely clear and red mark free by the end of the month!!!

MemberMember

Posted : 10/12/2010 2:41 pm

SIX WEEKS

RIGHT SIDE: ZERO red, active pimples, TWO (pink) healing, 1 clogged pores

LEFT SIDE: ZERO red, active pimples, ZERO (pink) healing, 2 clogged pores

Red marks: Counting the healing pimples, I have 5-8, depending on how picky I am being.

Well, things were going great, but then some small (smaller than than the ones I was getting) clogged pores starting appearing on my right side, again, after having none. So, two of them surfaced, and they were ready to come out, so I had to do it. They came right out, but I am left with two, small pink marks. The discouraging part is that the clogged pores still aren't gone. They are coming much less often, but as of six weeks into Spiro and 5 months on Retin A, they haven't stopped.

MemberMember
(@uhopihopyahoo-com)

Posted : 10/12/2010 3:24 pm

SIX WEEKS

RIGHT SIDE: ZERO red, active pimples, TWO (pink) healing, 1 clogged pores

Well, things were going great, but then some small (smaller than than the ones I was getting) clogged pores starting appearing on my right side, again, after having none. So, two of them surfaced, and they were ready to come out, so I had to do it. They came right out, but I am left with two, small pink marks. The discouraging part is that the clogged pores still aren't gone. They are coming much less often, but as of six weeks into Spiro and 5 months on Retin A, they haven't stopped.

OMG!! Finally, you are in the same boat I am in! I did not start getting acne until about 4 months ago and i am 27!!! I always had perfect skin, but it just hit me out of nowhere. I have tried doxy, allergic to bactrim, and have tried tetra, now i have been on spiro for about 1 month now. I have retin a again, but i am too scared to use it for fear of more indented scars! My scars are already freaking ugly, so I don't want to make them worse, as I have heard from others on here that it has done the same and they discontinued use. The spiro seems to be helping, but it has made me break out on the right side of my face where I've never even had pimples!! Ugh, i am so disgusted that I don't even know what to do. Do you have any scarring, like indents or anything? If so, has retin a helped them at all? Thanks and I hope all works well for you!

MemberMember

Posted : 10/15/2010 2:48 pm

Hi hopeful,

No, I can't say that Retin A has left me with any indented scars. After an extended period of consistent use, I have noticed that my skin is smoother and more even toned than prior to using it. This wasn't an immediate result, as it did take time, probably three months to notice.

I also notice that overuse of Retin A, such as using it in a glob as a spot treatment, will make healing pimples redder than they would otherwise be, thereby taking much longer to heal. So don't spot treat with Retin A, stick with the recommended dosage, a pea sized amount.

Spiro can cause an initial break out, so don't get too discouraged. Stick with it for a minimum of 3 months, and as long as things are improving at three months, push on, because sometimes it takes longer than that.

Good luck.

MemberMember
(@uhopihopyahoo-com)

Posted : 10/16/2010 2:02 pm

Hi hopeful,

No, I can't say that Retin A has left me with any indented scars. After an extended period of consistent use, I have noticed that my skin is smoother and more even toned than prior to using it. This wasn't an immediate result, as it did take time, probably three months to notice.

I also notice that overuse of Retin A, such as using it in a glob as a spot treatment, will make healing pimples redder than they would otherwise be, thereby taking much longer to heal. So don't spot treat with Retin A, stick with the recommended dosage, a pea sized amount.

Spiro can cause an initial break out, so don't get too discouraged. Stick with it for a minimum of 3 months, and as long as things are improving at three months, push on, because sometimes it takes longer than that.

Good luck.

Thanks so much, I just need to be patient with it, it can't happen overnight! LOL Well I have decided to stick with the Retin A, besides at least I can start batteling fine lines! LOL How is your acne? Seem to be getting better?

MemberMember

Posted : 10/16/2010 3:27 pm

Yes. Things are MUCH improved! I am almost back to normal, which translates to clear skin. The only thing I really have left to battle are a few clogged pores and red marks. All in all, though, I have about a 90% improvement if comparing to May 2010. I had about a 75% improvement on Retin A alone and the Spiro is what's bringing it up to the 90% mark, and I really think that I could be problem free in another month.

Whatever you do, though, think LONG TERM. Make your goal in terms of months and not weeks. Afterall, prior to starting any treatment (started Retin A in July and Spiro in Sept) my acne/pimple problem would have been classified as mild and I'm on my 4th month of presecription treatment and not 100% clear, but I'm almost there. So if I had moderate to severe acne, I truly wouldn't expect to be clear for 9-12 months.

MemberMember
(@uhopihopyahoo-com)

Posted : 10/16/2010 3:49 pm

Yes. Things are MUCH improved! I am almost back to normal, which translates to clear skin. The only thing I really have left to battle are a few clogged pores and red marks. All in all, though, I have about a 90% improvement if comparing to May 2010. I had about a 75% improvement on Retin A alone and the Spiro is what's bringing it up to the 90% mark, and I really think that I could be problem free in another month.

Whatever you do, though, think LONG TERM. Make your goal in terms of months and not weeks. Afterall, prior to starting any treatment (started Retin A in July and Spiro in Sept) my acne/pimple problem would have been classified as mild and I'm on my 4th month of presecription treatment and not 100% clear, but I'm almost there. So if I had moderate to severe acne, I truly wouldn't expect to be clear for 9-12 months.

That is awesome! I am so happy for you and it gives me hope!! Are you going to stay on spiro for awhile, or what's your plan. I have heard that once some people come off that it just gets freaking nutso with acne!! Im kinda scared about that, but I've heard others that have stayed on it for years. What do you think?

MemberMember

Posted : 10/18/2010 12:39 pm

I cannot believe how much better my face has been since starting Spiro. I have NO active pimples, and I really haven't had an active pimple in a while. Also, my monthly friend came to visit on Friday, and my skin didn't suffer AT ALL. I do have a few clogged pores and a few red marks, but they get better each day. Also, for the first time in a LONG time, I haven't had to wear cover-up. I do wear mineral (powder) foundation, although I could get away with just pressed powder. When I look in the mirror my face is no longer dominated bt flesh colored bumps, it's is so smooth, and it feels so smooth when I wash it, too.

I can't wait to review Jojoba Oil and Spiro. I like to wait until I've been on a product at least 3 months before I write a review, and I'm on week 7.

Hopeful ~

I really don't have a plan, since I never dealt with problematic acne/clogged pores before. For now, I plan to stay on it indefinitely as long as I'm not experiencing s/e from the Spiro. I do plan to stay on Retin A for life, as there are so many additional benifits to using it, other than eliminating acne. I'm on a fairly low dose of Spiro (50 mg), so there really shouldn't be a problem with long term use.

MemberMember

Posted : 10/19/2010 7:41 pm

SEVEN WEEKS

RIGHT SIDE: ZERO red, active pimples, ZERO(pink) healing, 2 small clogged pores

Red marks: Counting the healing pimples, I have 3-5, depending on how picky I am being.

My skin is looking so great. While I do have 4 small clogged pores remaining, they are nearly invisible (compared to the other, larger, clogged pores that I was getting). In fact, I don't even know that I would have noticed them if I wasn't hunting. So that is 7 complete weeks on Spiro and nearly 4 months on Retin A. The red marks are slowly fadining, and I only need a touch of pressed powder to cover them up. My skin is smooth for the first time in a long time.

MemberMember

Posted : 10/22/2010 12:27 pm

Well, I just had to jump on here real quick to post the unfortunate news. I have a load of NEW clogged pores to report. Again, they ARE smaller than the previous ones, but I would estimate about 10 on each side. This is very discouraging. None of them are inflammed, and my skin looks clear from a distance, but the bumps exist and it's anyone's guess as to their inflammatory tendencies.

I'm trying to rack my brain, thinking about what I may have done differently in the past 2-3 days. Well, I haven't changed my cleansing/medication system AT ALL, but I'm wondering if it's something I'm ingesting.

This is so horrible. I have a derm appt. next Fri., but what more can she possibly do for me? I'm on two notably successful prescription medications.

I can't fucking stand this. Five fucking months of PURE hell, and the problem still exists. It seems to be controlled, but not eliminated. WTF?

Something definitely caused this out break, but it's a complete mystery. Until I find the culprit, I'll never be clear. I'm going to have to start eliminating, which could take MONTHS to evalutate. I'm going to start with artificial sweeteners. I've used them for years, but bodies change, and Splenda isn't great for me, anyway. So tomorrow, I'm going to eliminate it (I've already have my coffee with Splenda today), and access after 3 weeks. I'm going to miis you, Splenda.

MemberMember

Posted : 10/28/2010 2:32 pm

EIGHT WEEKS

RIGHT SIDE: ZERO red, active pimples, 1 (pink) healing, 3 small clogged pores

LEFT SIDE: ZERO red, active pimples,2 (pink) healing, 3 clogged pores

I am SO disgusted. Things were looking up, and then BAM out of nowhere, I get a slew of clogged pores, two of which came to an immediate head, which is why I now have 3 pink marks from healing pimples on my face.

I have a derm appt. tomorrow.

I'm officially 2 months on Spiro and 4 months on Retin A. I'm at an 80% improvement, down from 90% a couple weeks ago.

MemberMember

Posted : 11/05/2010 2:03 pm

NINE WEEKS

RIGHT SIDE: ZERO red, active pimples, 2 (pink) healing, ZERO clogged pores

LEFT SIDE: ZERO red, active pimples, ZERO (pink) healing, 1 clogged pores

Red marks: Counting the healing pimples, I have 2-4, depending on how picking I'm being.

Well, things are looking up, once again. I hope this continues. I certainly did not expect to be still fighting this after 6 months. My face looks good. I am down to 1 clogged pore on my entire face and two pink healing pimples, and 1-2 red marks left from previous pimples.

MemberMember

Posted : 11/12/2010 1:47 pm

TEN WEEKS

RIGHT SIDE: ZERO red, active pimples, ZERO (pink) healing, 2 (small) clogged pores

LEFT SIDE: ZERO red, active pimples, ZERO (pink) healing, ZERO clogged pores

Red marks: Counting the healing pimples, I have 2-4, depending on how picking I'm being.

Ten weeks on Spiro, and what, nearly five months on Retin A. My skin is 95% improved. I'm on the lowest dose of Spiro (25mg) 2x/ day, as well as the lowest strength of Retin A. I still have a few stubborn PIH spots that drive me NUTS, but they are fadding.

I don't have to wear foundation or cover-up, I simply use pressed powder and go. This is a new luxury for me.

I might start updating monthly, instead of weekly. No one reads it anyway - ha ha!

MemberMember
(@uhopihopyahoo-com)

Posted : 11/13/2010 2:16 am

TEN WEEKS

RIGHT SIDE: ZERO red, active pimples, ZERO (pink) healing, 2 (small) clogged pores

Ten weeks on Spiro, and what, nearly five months on Retin A. My skin is 95% improved. I'm on the lowest dose of Spiro (25mg) 2x/ day, as well as the lowest strength of Retin A. I still have a few stubborn PIH spots that drive me NUTS, but they are fadding.

I don't have to wear foundation or cover-up, I simply use pressed powder and go. This is a new luxury for me.

I might start updating monthly, instead of weekly. No one reads it anyway - ha ha!

I have been following your log bc I am still on the spiro track as well, and I am still impressed with the results. I had a follow-up w/my derm this wk and I asked how long some of his patients have taken spiro, and he actually said for 10+ years!! I couldn't believe it, and am not exactly sure if this is the safest option, but it's either zits forever, or clear skin and then serious issues when I'm 50! LOL

Well I am glad to hear that you are having success with the routine as I know it can be so damn frustrating!! Keep hanging in there and maybe we can come out on top with this dreaded crap!

MemberMember

Posted : 11/20/2010 11:00 pm

ELEVEN WEEKS

I have not active pimples to report, and my face is clear, minus the 2 very small clogged pores on my right side. Ironically, they are the exact same clogged pores that I had last week. These suckers take a couple of weeks to go away. Fortunately, they ARE small and colorless, but still annoying.Hopeful ~ Thanks for the encouraging words. I don't want to be on Spiro long-term, but I don't know how long I plan to stay on it. Minimally, I would say one year.

MemberMember

Posted : 11/29/2010 7:01 pm

TWELVE WEEKS

RIGHT SIDE: ZERO red, active pimples, ZERO (pink) healing, ZERO (small) clogged pores

Red marks: I have 2-4, depending on how picking I'm being.

I HAVE ZEROZEROZERO*** pimples and clogged pores. This is the first time since May 2010 that I've been able to say this. I do have some stubborn red marks that continue to slowly fade, but things are going great!!

MemberMember

Posted : 01/11/2011 10:58 am

I just wanted to post a little update. I am still 100% clear, and I no longer have any red marks to contend with. For the first time, in a long time, I do not need to wear any make-up (well, for the purpose of covering up pimples, anyway). A little over a month ago, I developed Perioral dermatitis, which is a rash located around the mouth, it was scaly, red and had a few small bumps (but it did not look like acne, it looked like an allergic reaction). Anyway, I was put on an antibiotic, and it has cleared me 100%, although my derm wants me to stay on the antibiotic until it's finished. I don't know what caused the perioral dermatitis, but I do know that Cetaphil cleanser burned my face with every use (particfualrly where the rash appeared), but I continued to use, anyway. I've since stopped using that cleanser. I have also taken myself off of the Spironolactone. I have been off of it for one month, with no problems. It was the same time I started taking the antibiotic, however, so that may have prevented me from seeing a rebound breakout from stopping the Spiro. At any rate, I'm going to try to keep it simple with my face. I wash with a mild soap, apply moisturizer, and at night the Retin A. That's it. I do want to incorporate a chemical exfoliant 1-2x/week at some point, but I'm just not ready to experiment, yet.

Hope this journal has helped someone. I will try to update every 3 months, unless something crazy happens.

Good luck.

MemberMember
(@girly14)

Posted : 01/24/2011 1:47 pm

Thanks for your log. Please continue to update as I assure you that people are reading! I have PCOS and have dealt with acne for over 10 years now. I am on Bactrim but considering Spiro, was thinking 100mg/day and then cutting down to 50mg/day if it works ok. Then I can come off the Bactrim. I hope you stay clear off the Spiro - keep us updated :)

MemberMember

Posted : 02/11/2011 11:22 pm

It's been another month, so I thought I would update. Well, actually, this morning I woke up to find a single, small pimple on my cheek, which is what triggered my mind into thinking about these boards. This is the first pimple that I've had in a.long.time. It's not at all menacing, it's just a simple pimple, and honestly, it's barely noticeable.

Other than the new "friend" I found this morning, I have no clogged pores or pimples, and NO red marks. The Retin A has been a God-send for me. My perioral dermatitis is gone, but I'm still using the Born to Be Mild Cleanser because I absolutely LOVE IT. Once again, the only things I use are posted in my siggy, and I've been using these products for a long time.

My battle with acne was a losing one for at least the first few months. I mean, I had NO signs of hope, despite the Retin A, despite the Spiro, despite the antibiotic, despite the cleansers. I really don't know how the tables turned, but it was gradual. I don't know if it was persistance, or if my blow out had run it's course, or what.

Anyway, enough ramblings...that's my update.

Good luck to all....I know it bites.

MemberMember

Posted : 03/19/2011 11:26 am

Well it's been a little over another month and I remain clear. It is around this time last year that th problems began so I'm getting a little nervous. I am competely 100% clear with no PIH marks, but I will NEVER forget what happened last spring. I stopped using the DML only because it wasn't moisturizing enough - although I truly LOVE the product. It would work great for someone with normal to oily skin. My skin a relatively dry, particularly since I'm still using Retin A. I've also incorporated a 3x/week chemical exfoliant. I've been using it for about 5 weeks with no ill effect. I switched to using Cetaphil daily moisturizer for sensitive skin, and while it doesn't make me break out, I'm still searching for my HG. Dare I say this next part? I've also been using Almay Sunless Tanning Gel for Faces for about 5 weeks, as well - with NO, NADA break outs. I used to use Neutrogena Sunless Tanning Lotion, but it is terrible for acne prone skin. Anyway, my battery is about to go, so I'd thought I'd update.

MemberMember
(@soccersweetie1101)

Posted : 03/23/2011 5:21 pm

hey :)

im starting spiro in a bit..........any advice? thanks

MemberMember

Posted : 05/16/2011 10:15 am

Hi, Soccer...sorry for the slow response...I'm not around too much, anymore.

Advice? By this point, you should be into your 2nd month and seeing some results. My advice is persistence and patience and LOADS of H2O!

I haven't posted in two months. It's amazing how central acne is to your life when your suffering with it, and how quickly you replace it with something else. Anyway, I digress...

I am still CLEAR!! Thank you, Jesus!! It was this exact time last year that I began to experience problems. I was so concerned that my problem was seasonal, but so far, I have remained clear - EXCEPT, for one, tiny, pimple that formed two days ago (I think it was a result of the Nair Hair Removal for face), but it made me think of this board.

Not only am I clear, but I am able to use self tanner on my face once again. I used Almay - and I absolutely love it!

I feel lead to post this next part, because I truly believe is WAS the reason for my acne to clear. I "truly" gave it to God. Daily prayer for healing in all ways and in all things. It was more than talking the talk, but also walking the walk. Anyone can say a prayer, but one must believe through faith that God will answer and provide, according to His Will and always to His glory. Where two or more or gathered in agreement, there He is in the midst of us, so rally some prayer partners, but relinquish the control to God.

Believe with your WHOLE being that He will deliver you. Don't say a prayer tonight, wake up tomorrow, look in the mirror and see 4 new pimples and become angry or bitter. While I believe in miraculous healings, there is much more to be learned when the answers to our prayers takes us through a spiritual transformation. After all, sometimes there needs to be a "test" in order to have a testimony. Keep the faith, spread the love and honor the Father. May God richly bless all of you, in all ways and in all things.