Notifications
Clear all

My Epiduo experience

MemberMember
(@michy912)

Posted : 05/23/2009 12:05 pm

I've been on epiduo for a little over 4 weeks. I still like it. My skin is super dry right now, but not red. I eased up to every night application and I still take a night off once in a while if my skin is really dry (or I skip my cheeks, which are the driest, and only apply to T zone). I've definitely had fewer pimples and I feel like my skin is smoother. Summer is a tough time to start retinoids b/c it's hard to remember to keep out of the sun.

MemberMember
(@seaserpin)

Posted : 06/03/2009 4:55 pm

Hi everyone, just prescribed the Epiduo today after a nightmare with Differin that lasted two nights only! honestly, I would rather have the acne than what the Differin did to me... holy cow...

I am picking up the Epi tomorrow; I was hesitant at first because I know this is a "new" product, but after reading some of your posts I am feeling better about it. I have two thoughts remaining:

1) This product contains .1% of the adapelene, right? Which is exactly what Differin contains? So how will using that PLUS another treatment on top of it be less horrific for my face in terms of redness, flaking, burning, drying, etc? I guess there are some inactive ingredients in it? My dermatologist said something about Vitamin A?

2) So how much is this really drying out your skin? On the second day after using Differin, my face was covered in dry, red splotches that were flaking everywhere, including, weirdly enough, on my scalp. It burned to the touch and whenever I tried to put ANY product on it to relieve it or cover it up. So what can I expect from the Epiduo?

Let me know your dryness factor, thanks a bunch,

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. I was just at the doctors today and I had asked for a referral to go to the dermatologist again. I have been dealing with acne since I was 16 years old. I am now 26. I have managed to keep it under control for the last 5 years now, but every once in a while I will get some bad flare ups and it makes me feel as though I am hopeless again. I have tried everything under the sun, or at least it feels that way. I have been on ortho-tricyclene, benzamyacin, benzol peroxide, retina-A, tetracycline, etc. I have tried Pro-Active as well, nothing seems to really work. I have sensitive skin as well as dry skin. So I get discouraged when I use any OTC products because they are all developed for oily skin. My skin is not in the least bit oily and all those products do is dry me out. Recently, I have been on a huge kick of using natural based products. Products without parabens, artificial oils, and fragrances. These are things that if you take the time to read the ingredients you will find that almost everything has it in it. Even Acne washes and moisturizers (Neutrogena, Clean and Clear, Estee Lauder, Lancome, all of those cosmetic counter lines) and things that CLAIM to be natural. I have also worked for Estee Lauder and Clinique for about three years, I have been a faithful user of those lines. I had to switch from Estee Lauder to Clinique due to the fact that their products were pumped full of fragrance and caused me to break out badly.These things can irritate skin as well or even suffocate it and cause it to flare up. A really good line that I have found that is nourishing as well as non- irritating is called "Juice Organics" you can get it at Target or on their web-site. It is all natural with nothing harsh in it and it hydrates just enough, it goes into your skin and does not sit on top. The cleansers are amazing as well. There are not a bunch of different formulas to confuse you either. The products are brightening so they help safely and naturally eliminate past superficial scarring. The reason I am posting this is because my doctor had given me some samples of the Epiduo, I have not tried them yet, but like all of you I am hesitant to put one more harsh thing on my face. But the dream of waking up and not having to put any make-up on is still living within me. I was looking at the product reviews when I had stumbled upon this site and was reading all of your posts. I am willing to share any knowledge of mine that might help anyone out. Just let me know if I can be of any service to anyone, I have done a lot of research and will be happy to help. In the mean time I will update my results as well with the Epiduo. One thing is I see that a lot of you have questions, check out their web-site it answered a lot of my questions. Also, I see that some of you are using it twice a day, when the directions are saying, apply once a day, at night in a thin layer and on a clean face. Hope that helps. :D

MemberMember
(@anne1234)

Posted : 06/14/2009 9:37 pm

I've been using Epiduo for about a week and a half and so far it is awful. I'm a 24/f and have suffered from mild acne for the past couple years. I used Clindamycin pledglets for a year and they were great, but my dermatologist suggested I try Epiduo. So far my acne is worse than it has ever been, my skin is oily and dry all at the same time. It is burning like crazy and peeling all over. I read on the website it gets worse before it gets better, but how long does that last? My dermatologist didn't warn me of this so I don't know how long to stick with it! Does anyone who has used Epiduo have a good estimate or experienced this as well? I don't know if I am being impatient or if I should throw in the towel on this medicine and ask for a different one.

I have been using Epiduo for over two weeks now and my face is now covered in acne! I have had acne since I was 13 and I am now 22. My face has never looked worse! I know the website said you get worse before you get better, but I am wondering the same thing as you, how long will it be worse for and how worse is it going to get? I was using it twice a day (that is what the dermatologist told me to do) but my face was starting to burn a little so I am now down to one a day. I paid a lot for this medicine and so I don't want to give up on it so early, but how are you to know when to give up on it?

MemberMember
(@babu)

Posted : 06/17/2009 2:43 pm

I've been using Epiduo for about a week and a half and so far it is awful. I'm a 24/f and have suffered from mild acne for the past couple years. I used Clindamycin pledglets for a year and they were great, but my dermatologist suggested I try Epiduo. So far my acne is worse than it has ever been, my skin is oily and dry all at the same time. It is burning like crazy and peeling all over. I read on the website it gets worse before it gets better, but how long does that last? My dermatologist didn't warn me of this so I don't know how long to stick with it! Does anyone who has used Epiduo have a good estimate or experienced this as well? I don't know if I am being impatient or if I should throw in the towel on this medicine and ask for a different one.

oooo can u tell me how ur experience with epiduo went. I have been on it for a week now and ive been breaking out. i apply it once and then clarifoam in the morning

my skin was really really oily at the beginning but now it is starting to get drier. im stil lgetting pimpes though :( not huge but they def bother me.

MemberMember
(@kimry09)

Posted : 06/20/2009 10:59 pm

Hey new here. But I started Epiduo for night use and was also perscribed Duac Gel from Steifel for the morning. So far I have loved the combination! I haven't had any kind of horrible experiences i've read in here but I do remember that when i first started using it that my skin did get dry and flaky which didn't bother me too much, but it didn't look good when I was wearing makeup. Its been about a month now and I don't feel any burning sensations when i apply and my skin isn't overly sensitive. I'm more clear then usual and haven't gotten any major underground pimples like i usually do. If I get any its a little one that isn't noticeable and goes away in like a day. Right now my problem is finding a face wash that I ca use before bed that is alcohol free. I'm almost out of the expensive sample ones my dermatologist provided.

Also, to the ones (actually the ladies) who are breaking out worse, what kind of make up do you use? I used to break out even more when I used cheap, drugstore make up. But I have been using Bare Minerals and not only is it great for my face but has spf 15.

Anyone with suggestions on face wash? Thanks!

MemberMember
(@babu)

Posted : 06/20/2009 11:11 pm

Hey new here. But I started Epiduo for night use and was also perscribed Duac Gel from Steifel for the morning. So far I have loved the combination! I haven't had any kind of horrible experiences i've read in here but I do remember that when i first started using it that my skin did get dry and flaky which didn't bother me too much, but it didn't look good when I was wearing makeup. Its been about a month now and I don't feel any burning sensations when i apply and my skin isn't overly sensitive. I'm more clear then usual and haven't gotten any major underground pimples like i usually do. If I get any its a little one that isn't noticeable and goes away in like a day. Right now my problem is finding a face wash that I ca use before bed that is alcohol free. I'm almost out of the expensive sample ones my dermatologist provided.

Also, to the ones (actually the ladies) who are breaking out worse, what kind of make up do you use? I used to break out even more when I used cheap, drugstore make up. But I have been using Bare Minerals and not only is it great for my face but has spf 15.

ahh congrats :) ive been on for almost 2 weeks now and i def see my face improving. it just took me a little time to get used too but i think its gonna be good from now on :)

Im about to look into Bare Minerals because i heard of all the great reviews

Face Wash - http://web2.sasa.com/SasaWeb/eng/product/v...no=102490105001

~ i was clear last time i used it but now ive moved and it is MUCH harder to get (also derm has me on derm face wash)~ def going back to it when im done with his cleanser

MemberMember
(@kimry09)

Posted : 06/20/2009 11:23 pm

ahh congrats :) ive been on for almost 2 weeks now and i def see my face improving. it just took me a little time to get used too but i think its gonna be good from now on :)

Face Wash -

~ i was clear last time i used it but now ive moved and it is MUCH harder to get (also derm has me on derm face wash)~ def going back to it when im done with his cleanser

Thanks! :D I'll look into that. I'm trying to find Throughly Clean Face Wash but there is no store in my area that has it!!!

Oh another thing I remember from the beginning of using EPiduo was that I had REALLY bad chapped lips for about a few days and was constantly applying medicated lip balm. But it has since gone away and I've read somewhere that that is a side affect for some acne meds and only means that your body is absorbing it and working.

MemberMember
(@ugly-mug)

Posted : 06/23/2009 10:57 pm

I got my Thoroughly Clean face wash at Trader Joe's. I also started Epiduo tonight, and so far no burning. Hopefully it'll just keep getting better! I get inflammation on my forehead and temples.

=( I'll keep my fingers crossed and update you guys on how my experience went!

MemberMember
(@babu)

Posted : 06/24/2009 1:00 am

Face Wash -

Thanks! :D I'll look into that. I'm trying to find Throughly Clean Face Wash but there is no store in my area that has it!!!

Oh another thing I remember from the beginning of using EPiduo was that I had REALLY bad chapped lips for about a few days and was constantly applying medicated lip balm. But it has since gone away and I've read somewhere that that is a side affect for some acne meds and only means that your body is absorbing it and working.

mhmm my lips were a little chapped but it was mainly my skin getting drier but even that was not a problem. i tend to not react as violently to bp as most people do. blessing and a curse i guess but it is def getting better so its ok ;)

~something i noticed was that i could really start to see the pore on my blemishes; they were very open but idk if that was the clarifoam or epidou its so hard to tell lol

I got my Thoroughly Clean face wash at Trader Joe's. I also started Epiduo tonight, and so far no burning. Hopefully it'll just keep getting better! I get inflammation on my forehead and temples.

=( I'll keep my fingers crossed and update you guys on how my experience went!

ooo def update on how it goes for you :) what type of acne and how long have u had it for?

MemberMember
(@aileeny)

Posted : 06/30/2009 6:32 pm

I just got this stuff prescribed to me today &&& my dermatologist said it WILL get worse before it gets better, because all the crap is being extracted out of your face, but he said to use it for AT LEAST 2 months, idk if it's the same for you, but i hope that helps.

MemberMember
(@applepiefortea)

Posted : 07/02/2009 1:32 pm

Hey!

I'm a fifteen year old girl with mild-to-moderate acne on my forehead and mild on my cheeks by my nose. I was proscribed this today and i'm picking it up from the pharmacy tommorow.

I'm kind of surprised my doc proscribed me such a harsh product but it's the first of it's kind i've used (i've only used salycilic acid before), but he reccomended i try it on my arm for the first three days, then use a pea sized amount on ALL of my acne altogether, and only once every two days, then progress to once a day.

He also proscribed me a moisturising cream and says i can use a moisturising cleanser.

I'm kind of freaked out, i don't want it to make my skin red and dry because i used Tea Tree Oil all this winter and it dried my skin horribly. But i guess with moisturiser it'll be okay.

I can't wait to see what happens...i hope it gets better. It's gotten out of hand and that scares me.

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 07/11/2009 9:40 pm

I'm 21 years old and have suffered from moderate acne on and off since my teens. I'd say I sweat way more than the average woman and seem to produce a lot of oil. I can not even begin to talk about how many different products I've used but I started using Epiduo gel .1%/2.5% combined with minocycline 100mg about 2 and a half weeks ago and Ive only had 1 zit since. I use the acne face soap bar from clinique which my dermatologist said was fine to use. My acne has completely cleared up besides a few dry ones and red spots which are fading. My skin actually feels smooth to touch! I've tried every medication there is and this is the only product that has given me good results. It does burn somewhat when applied but nothing unbearable. My face was red the first few uses but no longer and I've gone from using it only at night to two times a day and I'm just fine now. I started seeing results instantly but I was so frustrated with acne I went to a different dermatologist to try accutane, which I have not tried yet but was going to if this didn't work (still using accutane as a last resort). The gel costed $40 but my dermatologist gave me a $20 rebate so not too expensive. All in all good experience so far hope it continues to work!

Also on a side note, most people with acne use makeup and I swear I'll never use makeup sold in a drugstore again, only Clinique.

MemberMember
(@languages)

Posted : 07/12/2009 1:13 am

I'm 21 years old and have suffered from moderate acne on and off since my teens. I'd say I sweat way more than the average woman and seem to produce a lot of oil. I can not even begin to talk about how many different products I've used but I started using Epiduo gel .1%/2.5% combined with minocycline 100mg about 2 and a half weeks ago and Ive only had 1 zit since. I use the acne face soap bar from clinique which my dermatologist said was fine to use. My acne has completely cleared up besides a few dry ones and red spots which are fading. My skin actually feels smooth to touch! I've tried every medication there is and this is the only product that has given me good results. It does burn somewhat when applied but nothing unbearable. My face was red the first few uses but no longer and I've gone from using it only at night to two times a day and I'm just fine now. I started seeing results instantly but I was so frustrated with acne I went to a different dermatologist to try accutane, which I have not tried yet but was going to if this didn't work (still using accutane as a last resort). The gel costed $40 but my dermatologist gave me a $20 rebate so not too expensive. All in all good experience so far hope it continues to work!

Also on a side note, most people with acne use makeup and I swear I'll never use makeup sold in a drugstore again, only Clinique.

I'm glad to see someone who had such good success with it. :)

MemberMember
(@verolize)

Posted : 07/12/2009 2:47 am

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this so I am going to introduce myself. I have been dealing with acne since I was 17. I am now 29. For a good five years I kept my skin clear with Acne Free but then it all came back. I had cystic acne, white heads, blackheads, postules,etc. I had it all. Just recently I broke out with cystic acne on my cheeks. I gave in a went to see a dermatologist who perscribe Epiduo along with a facial wash called Oscion cleasnser which contains 6% Benzoil Peroxide. He recommended washing my face 3 times a day and using Epiduo once at night. I have used it faithfully for two weeks now. No burning at all!!! I use a pea size amount of Epiduo just as directed. Even the facial cleanser feels great when I wash. Hardly any dryness at all. I use light moisturizer and it feels just fine. My cystic acne it healing greatly and I have experienced a few new little whiteheads the come and go pretty quickly. Needless to say, I am happy so far with the results. Good luck to all of you !!!!

MemberMember
(@babu)

Posted : 07/12/2009 10:12 am

I almost am totally clear up :) just literally two baby pimples you cant even notice

~ i use epiduo and one other cream in the morning~

on a side note, since epiduo doesn't help scaring; do u know anything that will

GLAD THIS IS WORKING FOR SO MANY ! :)

MemberMember
(@natu26)

Posted : 07/15/2009 9:53 pm

I've had mild to sometimes moderate acne for 10 years now and I've been using Epiduo for about a month now. It has made so much of a difference. I thought I had to buy the multitude of Murad products to keep a clear face but between using the Panoxl cleanser (as prescribed by dermatologist) and Epiduo, I am finally happy with clear skin. The Epiduo can be expensive without insurance--around $200-- but a little goes a long way and I only use it at night. I don't like applying it during the day, being out in the sun. And if you have sensitive skin, it may burn a bit in the beginning.

The Panoxl cleanser is only $7 and I suggest using a oil free moisturizer (and oil free sunscreen!!!) Hopefully, this helps. I realize Epiduo is new on the market but I believe it's worth every penny.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/17/2009 8:16 am

Hey, I my doctor just prescribed me epiduo and I just started it on Monday, and since Wednesday night, I have had really dry, red, irritated skin around my nose, under my eyes, and on my chin. I don't know if this is normal or not? Also, I work out in the sun alot, and have NOT been using sunscreen, could that be a factor?

MemberMember
(@babu)

Posted : 07/17/2009 9:52 am

Hey, I my doctor just prescribed me epiduo and I just started it on Monday, and since Wednesday night, I have had really dry, red, irritated skin around my nose, under my eyes, and on my chin. I don't know if this is normal or not? Also, I work out in the sun alot, and have NOT been using sunscreen, could that be a factor?

yes oh my goodness PLEASE use sunscreen when you use any product prescribed for you skin by the derm. because if you have any marks they will become more permanent. you are more likely to burn of this medication as well

~ not trying to come off aggressive ive just seen what sun exposure on these products do to a person, i wanna keep you safe XD~

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 07/17/2009 10:06 am

yes oh my goodness PLEASE use sunscreen when you use any product prescribed for you skin by the derm. because if you have any marks they will become more permanent. you are more likely to burn of this medication as well

~ not trying to come off aggressive ive just seen what sun exposure on these products do to a person, i wanna keep you safe XD~

i completely understand. ya, cuz i am freaking out, its really red and dry all round my nose and chin and it wont go away, so i am just going to stop using it for now, until it goes away. what sunscreen do you recommend for sensitve skin? and any other tips about epiduo, i appreciate it.

MemberMember
(@dee-2)

Posted : 07/18/2009 9:23 pm

Hi everyone, I'm a 16 year old girl with mild- moderate acne on my forehead and around my mouth area. My derm prescribed me Epiduo along with Keflex antibiotics and Yasmin birth control pill for my acne. I've been using them for just over a week now and I can honestly say that around my mouth has almost completely cleared up. (just two pimples atm :P)

For the first few days the epiduo gel was causing my skin to feel like it was sunburnt and it got really dry and sensitive, but I kept using it because I felt it was working and it doesn't burn anymore. However I was just wondering if anybody knows if it makes a difference if moisturizer is applied before or after the application of epiduo? I've been kind of switching around and stuff, and i don't know if that's good. =/

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 07/18/2009 10:23 pm

Are you just using it at night?

MemberMember
(@melmel87)

Posted : 07/18/2009 10:28 pm

Hi everyone, I'm a 16 year old girl with mild- moderate acne on my forehead and around my mouth area. My derm prescribed me Epiduo along with Keflex antibiotics and Yasmin birth control pill for my acne. I've been using them for just over a week now and I can honestly say that around my mouth has almost completely cleared up. (just two pimples atm :P)

For the first few days the epiduo gel was causing my skin to feel like it was sunburnt and it got really dry and sensitive, but I kept using it because I felt it was working and it doesn't burn anymore. However I was just wondering if anybody knows if it makes a difference if moisturizer is applied before or after the application of epiduo? I've been kind of switching around and stuff, and i don't know if that's good. =/

If you're going to apply a moisturizer you have to after you apply the epiduo at least thats what my dermatologist told me. I don't think the Epiduo can set into your skin as well if the moisturizer is the base.

MemberMember
(@babu)

Posted : 07/18/2009 10:31 pm

i completely understand. ya, cuz i am freaking out, its really red and dry all round my nose and chin and it wont go away, so i am just going to stop using it for now, until it goes away. what sunscreen do you recommend for sensitve skin? and any other tips about epiduo, i appreciate it.

hahaha i seem to have skin made of steal compared to the rest of you XD i would suggest using two things - aloe vera and sunscreen / moisturizer

1. aloe vera - johnson and johnson brand

2. neutrogena ultra sheer dry sunblock SPF 55

3. Cetafil sensitive skin moisturizer

my suggestion is to after cleansing put on some aloe vera, wait five min. or until ur face is totally dry and then epodou

- wait 15 mins - and then combine half/half sunscreen and moisturizer

good luck ;)

Are you just using it at night?

oooo iim sry i responded to the bottom one thinking it was this one XD same thing thou

GOOD LUCK :)

MemberMember
(@jordan240)

Posted : 07/24/2009 5:29 pm

Hi all,

I've been using Epiduo for about 5 weeks now. It made all the bumps go away buy now its still all red. Anybody have any ideas for this?

MemberMember
(@verdenaller)

Posted : 07/26/2009 4:30 am

I've been using Epiduo for 3 days now (applied before going to bed), along with some Clindagel (Clindamycin 1%) during the day. I haven't really noticed any improvements yet. I have somewhat mild acne. I previously used BenzaClin, Tretinoin cream, and Minocycline but dropped the Minocycline about a year ago and a month ago stopped using the Tretinoin because I live in Hawaii and I'm always in the sun or at the beach so that doesn't really help. The BenzaClin was fine but it didn't clear me up completely and I have some bumps on my forehead and around my temples and cheeks which I'd like to go away. The derm said they're comedones even though they don't look like them... I don't know. I was on the BenzaClin for probably 4 years I think. I hope the Epiduo and Clindagel rape my acne. Pissin' me off. I did notice some mild burning on my upper cheeks and around my nose, and now when I wash my face with Cetaphil cleanser it is a little irritated and burns a little, which I thought wouldn't happen because I had gotten used to BenzaClin... But it's not a big deal. No redness or peeling (probably because of the humidity).

Oh and I was wondering, I'm leaving to Germany in a week and will be living there for a year, how can I get my acne meds refilled over there? Thanks.