Notifications
Clear all

Retin-A Micro for occassional cystic acne (30, F)

MemberMember
(@valerie44)

Posted : 10/29/2009 5:14 pm

i can't be on RAM for more than 2 days straight . my skin gets so oily !! its ridiculous makeup just slides off .. did you see an improvement in the oiliness when you upped it to .1%??

I feel that when i upped it to .1% im so much more oily, i use it every nite tho. My derm said it was supposed to help with the oil

MemberMember
(@problems)

Posted : 10/30/2009 6:57 am

i can't be on RAM for more than 2 days straight . my skin gets so oily !! its ridiculous makeup just slides off .. did you see an improvement in the oiliness when you upped it to .1%??

I feel that when i upped it to .1% im so much more oily, i use it every nite tho. My derm said it was supposed to help with the oil

I think its the fack that you are suing the cream that its more oilly. The gel is best for people with oil skin.

And good luck

MemberMember
(@amorfati)

Posted : 12/14/2009 12:44 am

Apologies to those of you who have asked questions to which I have yet to respond. The answer is, yes, I did get less oily when I upped my %age. Also, I am using the cream these days, rather than the gel, for insurance reasons (insurance stopped covering non-generic), and my face is actually drier with the cream, so I doubt that is making the difference.

Anyway, still in the same situation in which I have no pimples, zits, cysts, anything. Also, my skin tone is finally evening out -- it's no longer super red in my t-zone, where the majority of my breakouts were. I feel great, and it is almost impossible to remember how psychologically down I felt at this point last year due entirely to my skin.

Best of luck to all of you reading. I hope you get to where I am soon!

MemberMember
(@serena22)

Posted : 12/23/2009 7:15 pm

gosh this log is an inspiration! i am so glad you're persevernce paid off!! i cant wait to be where you are! ( although in the circle of hell that is the IB it seems hard to believe i will! haha) enjoy your beautiful skin!

MemberMember
(@amorfati)

Posted : 01/27/2010 4:57 am

Jan 27th -- when was the last time I had any kind of blemish? Maybe September? And even that wasn't a cyst. Last one of those was in June with NuvaRing I think. Awesome.

MemberMember
(@amorfati)

Posted : 09/25/2012 4:40 pm

This journal is really old, but i was just remembering that it even existed and thought I'd update, hopefully as inspiration to others who are just starting out.

In any case, at the end of the day, or rather, at the end of the initial breakout, Retin-A is a godsend. I DO NOT get cysts anymore, and the two "pimples" that I get just before my period are usually the size of a pinhead, literally -- I guess they are more whiteheads than a pimple? In any case, they are invisible to anyone but me peering into the mirror. My skin is clearer than it has been since I was about 12 years old (and it was never that horrible before I started with the cysts in 2008). I still get oily during the day, and I still have big pores, but reading back through this, it is hard for me to even remember now how horrible this six months was. (Though reading back brings it all back, for sure. It was truly terrible.) My regimen has been the same since I last posted it, btw: clean with Cetaphil, jojoba oil, Neutrogena SheerTouch? DryTouch Sunbock in the morning; clean with Cetaphil, jojoba oil, RAM 0.1% evenings.

Oh, also, I don't think I ever jotted this down: I realized that the oil cleansing method was actually irritating my skin when I was doing it because of all of the heat. Just fyi.

Anyway, for those who are just starting with RAM: STICK WITH IT!!! Up your strength if you aren't getting results. It WORKS!

MemberMember
(@andres123)

Posted : 01/23/2013 12:31 am

so nice of u two come back, 2 years+ later and let us know things are going fine :)

like many ppl have said...an inspiration!

....gotta get a higher ram :)

MemberMember
(@adreamer)

Posted : 03/03/2013 7:39 am

In any case, at the end of the day, or rather, at the end of the initial breakout, Retin-A is a godsend. I DO NOT get cysts anymore, and the two "pimples" that I get just before my period are usually the size of a pinhead, literally -- I guess they are more whiteheads than a pimple?

Anyway, for those who are just starting with RAM: STICK WITH IT!!! Up your strength if you aren't getting results. It WORKS!

This made my day!

I am using Retin-a 0.025% right now and i am in my seventh week(starting week 7).

I have been breaking out from day 2 up till now and i think my IB is coming to and end..-

But i am afraid that my skin looks extremely bad now after all the breakouts. Before starting Retin-a my skin was pretty nice, even and glowy. I just had some cyst on my jawline. Now i got breakouts everywhere!! So i am left with all these red marks

You can check out my pictures. The first ones are already very bad, as i said my IB started in day 2.

At the end i'll post my before pictures as well. But...i am really going to get better skin than before? Is it worth it?

MemberMember
(@andres123)

Posted : 03/05/2013 7:49 pm

In any case, at the end of the day, or rather, at the end of the initial breakout, Retin-A is a godsend. I DO NOT get cysts anymore, and the two "pimples" that I get just before my period are usually the size of a pinhead, literally -- I guess they are more whiteheads than a pimple?

This made my day!

I am using Retin-a 0.025% right now and i am in my seventh week(starting week 7).

I have been breaking out from day 2 up till now and i think my IB is coming to and end..-

But i am afraid that my skin looks extremely bad now after all the breakouts. Before starting Retin-a my skin was pretty nice, even and glowy. I just had some cyst on my jawline. Now i got breakouts everywhere!! So i am left with all these red marks

You can check out my pictures. The first ones are already very bad, as i said my IB started in day 2.

At the end i'll post my before pictures as well. But...i am really going to get better skin than before? Is it worth it?

Hmm..for a single cysts I would have spot treated the area....(probably with 5% bp to start with). Long term retin-a is suppose to be good, if you are on ur mid 20's or above I would say its good for skin (altho in some people ..including myself, you become oily).

If i didnt break out all over and I had known these "side effects" and if i have had a better understanding of treatmens in general I would not have taken this road. HOWEVER....i did break out all over...and even tho i hate my oily look, Im aware this was the road to take....so in my case it was "worth" it.