Notifications
Clear all

Worried I have steroid-induced rosacea

MemberMember
(@purplxed)

Posted : 04/14/2016 8:13 pm

Hi,

I developed contact dermatitis on my right eyelid and was told by dermatologist to sparingly apply a 0.05% topical steroid cream to the area for 5-7 days. I applied the cream twice a day for 4 days, and on the 5th and 6th day applied once. Today is the 7th day, and I haven't applied anything.

On the 5th day, I noticed my cheeks were getting a bit more red than usual and felt warm. Same thing on the 6th day. Today I'm still experiencing some mild flushing/warm feeling on my cheeks. My eyelids are fine (no redness, nothing). Could the topical steroid have given me rosacea on my cheeks, even though I didn't apply it in that area? I'm really worried now, because I have so many other issues going on in my life at the moment, the thought of having another one like rosacea is going to push me to the brink!

I hope someone can provide me with some information or insight on my issue. I never have been diagnosed with rosacea before and have never experienced cheek flushing in my past.

Thank you

MemberMember
(@tammywammy)

Posted : 06/16/2016 10:19 am

Hi,

I would be amazed if a cream that wasn't applied to that area could cause the flushing. If I were you I would visit the doctor and get a firm diagnosis. Stress can really play havoc with your immune system and can cause all manner of health problems. Why not try some beginners yoga - you can do this at home for twenty minutes and youtube has great videos. Please be careful not to overdo it :) Gently does it at first.

MemberMember
(@starynight)

Posted : 06/24/2016 12:22 pm

Do not use steroid cream it has long term secondary effects. Always do your own research before using any kind of medication. It can cause skin thinning as well as other long term use complications. The fact that you're using it on an already sensitive part of your body is very alarming.

Quoted paragraph:

Over the past decade, much awareness has been brought to the side effects and damage that long term topical steroid use can bring, particularly in cases where it used for the treatment of eczema.[2][3]

Adverse Effects

Source:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Topical_steroid

Doctors are prescribing medications that only alleviate symptoms temporarily and that cause long term side effects and that don't address the root problem so that you keep coming back and pay them. It's a vicious cycle. Go read up on Big Pharma Conspiracy and Bad Pharma. There's videos on Youtube too.