Notifications
Clear all

What Can I Do With My Redness And Uneven Skin? With Pics.

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 08/11/2013 10:54 pm

i think mine is irritation from many years of BP use. I did use it for acne 2.5 %, i still have acne now, however not too bad.... i really trying to cut down on the thing i put on my skin. I beleive bp slows the skin natural healing rate also, even thobpgh there is no medical evidince for this. You should try perhaps apple cider vinegar as a topical, some people on here swear by it....

Underneath32, if you think the redness is from years of bp, then I might be able to help. I used bp for about a year and a half, along with other things and the healthy part of my skin turned red. I think because bp is so strong that it kills bacteria but it also can irritate normal skin after too much use. I've been using a cleanser called clinique redness relief soothing cleanser for about 5 months now and my skin is no longer red. The cleanser is made for people who suffer with rosacea, so I gave it a whirl to see if it would help my skin heal. It's made a total difference!

Thanks SunnySarah! I will look into it, at the moment i have found a reasonably good balance of BP that does help prevent new breakouts and reduce redness, however my skin does get red out of the blue..

I'm glad you've found that works for your skin (: Just trying to put my 2 cents in haha

MemberMember
(@underneath32)

Posted : 08/13/2013 5:46 am

i think mine is irritation from many years of BP use. I did use it for acne 2.5 %, i still have acne now, however not too bad.... i really trying to cut down on the thing i put on my skin. I beleive bp slows the skin natural healing rate also, even thobpgh there is no medical evidince for this. You should try perhaps apple cider vinegar as a topical, some people on here swear by it....

Underneath32, if you think the redness is from years of bp, then I might be able to help. I used bp for about a year and a half, along with other things and the healthy part of my skin turned red. I think because bp is so strong that it kills bacteria but it also can irritate normal skin after too much use. I've been using a cleanser called clinique redness relief soothing cleanser for about 5 months now and my skin is no longer red. The cleanser is made for people who suffer with rosacea, so I gave it a whirl to see if it would help my skin heal. It's made a total difference!

Hey so iv looked into this cleanser and it does have great reviews for redness and rosacea, just curious where abouts did you buy it from, thanks again :)

MemberMember
(@sunnysarah)

Posted : 08/13/2013 7:59 am

Hey so iv looked into this cleanser and it does have great reviews for redness and rosacea, just curious where abouts did you buy it from, thanks again smile.png

It's available at all clinique counters in department stores. Belk, Macy's, and Dillards are a few department stores that sell them.

MemberMember
(@tom-busby)

Posted : 08/13/2013 12:11 pm

Hi underneath32, have you looked at the dermnet.com website, which has many photos of various people with seb derm: http://hardinmd.lib.uiowa.edu/dermnet/seborrheicdermatitis.html

You said you were leaning to seb derm, which is usually caused by malassezia yeasts (aka fungus). Flat red bumps and plugged pores are a sign of a malassezia-induced skin condition, but you will need to make up your own mind. Nizoral 1% is OTC in the US but it is sold only on the web, for example, walgreens.com.

You could do a differential diagnosis by using effective anti-fungal treatments. As for your choice of shampoos, climbazole is a more effective anti-fungal than ketoconazole, (the active ingredient in Nizoral 1% shampoo). Heres a list of all the OTC climbazole shampoos:

1) Hegors 150 (1.5% Climbazole), which is made in France and is available in the US only on eBay and will be shipped from Bulgaria.

2) Aldermas Bioderma Sensibio DS Gel containing unstated amounts of climbazole and piroctone olamine, which is available on Amazon and ships from Portugal.

3) Eucerins DermoCapillaire Antidandruff Gel Shampoo containing 0.5% piroctone olamine and 0.45% climbazole, which is sold only in the EU and is not available online, as far as I can tell.

I think many people get good results using only a shampoo, but I didnt. I started out using Nizoral 2% ketoconazole cream, which is not OTC in the US but can be mail ordered from India. The only OTC anti-fungal in the US is Lotrimin Ultra, which is 1.0% Butenafine Hydrochloride, and its on the shelf of every US drug store. There's a $2-off coupon at the manufacturer's website. The Lotrimin AF is not very effective so be sure you try the Ultra, if you decide to try a lotion.

I tried Aloe Vera and found that it helped a little, but I recently started adding 2% to 5% Xylitol to everything I use. Im inferring from candida biofilm research, that Xylitol prevents biofilm formation by making the keratin too slippery for the fungus to interact with the skin. We will always have malassezia because its commensal, or normally found, on all mammals skin. Malassezia creates a biofilm that is mostly your own keratin, in which it evades detection by the immune system. The flat bumps are the biofilm. Once you start treating, you'll find a lot of biofilms that were previously invisible.

The healing process in treating a fungal skin condition is like a time machine slowly going backwards. The medicine slowly dissolves the cells walls of the yeast and the contents of the yeast cells leak out and it dies. The redness results from your bodys immune system recognizing that there are fungal foreigners, to which the bodys first healing reaction will be redness and inflammation, which is normal. Do not be dismayed by additional patches of skin redness your body is healing, although it may take weeks or months to become normal.

My first or second post at this forum has more information on OTC malassezia treatments.

MemberMember
(@underneath32)

Posted : 08/19/2013 1:47 am

Hi underneath32, have you looked at the dermnet.com website, which has many photos of various people with seb derm: http://hardinmd.lib.uiowa.edu/dermnet/seborrheicdermatitis.html

You said you were leaning to seb derm, which is usually caused by malassezia yeasts (aka fungus). Flat red bumps and plugged pores are a sign of a malassezia-induced skin condition, but you will need to make up your own mind. Nizoral 1% is OTC in the US but it is sold only on the web, for example, walgreens.com.

You could do a differential diagnosis by using effective anti-fungal treatments. As for your choice of shampoos, climbazole is a more effective anti-fungal than ketoconazole, (the active ingredient in Nizoral 1% shampoo). Heres a list of all the OTC climbazole shampoos:

1) Hegors 150 (1.5% Climbazole), which is made in France and is available in the US only on eBay and will be shipped from Bulgaria.

2) Aldermas Bioderma Sensibio DS Gel containing unstated amounts of climbazole and piroctone olamine, which is available on Amazon and ships from Portugal.

3) Eucerins DermoCapillaire Antidandruff Gel Shampoo containing 0.5% piroctone olamine and 0.45% climbazole, which is sold only in the EU and is not available online, as far as I can tell.

I think many people get good results using only a shampoo, but I didnt. I started out using Nizoral 2% ketoconazole cream, which is not OTC in the US but can be mail ordered from India. The only OTC anti-fungal in the US is Lotrimin Ultra, which is 1.0% Butenafine Hydrochloride, and its on the shelf of every US drug store. There's a $2-off coupon at the manufacturer's website. The Lotrimin AF is not very effective so be sure you try the Ultra, if you decide to try a lotion.

I tried Aloe Vera and found that it helped a little, but I recently started adding 2% to 5% Xylitol to everything I use. Im inferring from candida biofilm research, that Xylitol prevents biofilm formation by making the keratin too slippery for the fungus to interact with the skin. We will always have malassezia because its commensal, or normally found, on all mammals skin. Malassezia creates a biofilm that is mostly your own keratin, in which it evades detection by the immune system. The flat bumps are the biofilm. Once you start treating, you'll find a lot of biofilms that were previously invisible.

The healing process in treating a fungal skin condition is like a time machine slowly going backwards. The medicine slowly dissolves the cells walls of the yeast and the contents of the yeast cells leak out and it dies. The redness results from your bodys immune system recognizing that there are fungal foreigners, to which the bodys first healing reaction will be redness and inflammation, which is normal. Do not be dismayed by additional patches of skin redness your body is healing, although it may take weeks or months to become normal.

My first or second post at this forum has more information on OTC malassezia treatments.

Thank you very much Tom Busby,

Nizoral isn't available where I am at the moment for some reason, i have tried selenium sulphide based shampoo however results are very average. I will buy some nizoral online i think.

Cheers

MemberMember
(@aanabill)

Posted : 08/19/2013 3:24 am

try scalpe if you get one where you live.

MemberMember
(@faceandlms)

Posted : 09/15/2013 12:16 am

Any results for the Nizoral?

I already use Nizoral to prevent further hair loss so I'm excited to say I'll start the trial run on my face tommorow morning.

Based on your description it sounds like we have very similar redness problems. The redness is concentrated around the huge, oil clogged pores. It's not a natural redness because the area around my eyes is more yellowish like my arms/body giving me the dreaded raccoon appearance.