Notifications
Clear all

Steroid induced rosacea.

MemberMember
(@complexissues)

Posted : 06/23/2009 2:10 pm

Sorry, I do not want to turn my PM function on.

If you have a question, please post it to the board so that everyone can participate and benefit from the exchange of information.

Oh, I was just going to ask whether the derm you saw was in Chicago or NY when your biopsy revealed mites..And if it was in Chicago, I'd like to know his/her info.

As for posting for the rest of the board, as you can plainly see in the posts above this one, I had asked if anybody knows whether or not a retinoid like differin is effective for treating mites, or what other treatments I should be aware of, since I'm already on doxy...

MemberMember
(@hateandlove)

Posted : 06/24/2009 4:39 am

I'm sorry for being M.I.A for so long, yes I discontinued use of the 40 mg accutane pills and have been unsuccessful at getting them compounded so there goes 200+ $$ down the drain. My skin has continued to remain in a deteriorated state; I am back to where I was 2 or 3 months ago and am extremely depressed as I feel like all is lost at this point. My skin's been much more red and flushy as I said in my last post, but I like to exfoliate often and normally do so w/ minimal problem, so tonight I decided I would try your method MrsZ of olive oil and sugar, my face is now so dark red that it almost looks purple. I wish my camera was available at this time as I would be glad to display this but alas, no camera. I don't know what to do at this point as I said, I'm loosing any and all hope and don't know if I should start low dose accutane next month or go on doxycycline 200 or so mgs, how long is an antibiotic course for steroid induced rosacea anyway? I'm coming up to my 1 year mark of when I initially used the steroid cream so that is disheartening. Anyway, I'm sorry I took so long to reply, I have been extremely down and out about all this though so I hope you can understand. Thanks again.

MemberMember
(@complexissues)

Posted : 06/24/2009 10:19 am

I'm sorry for being M.I.A for so long, yes I discontinued use of the 40 mg accutane pills and have been unsuccessful at getting them compounded so there goes 200+ $$ down the drain. My skin has continued to remain in a deteriorated state; I am back to where I was 2 or 3 months ago and am extremely depressed as I feel like all is lost at this point. My skin's been much more red and flushy as I said in my last post, but I like to exfoliate often and normally do so w/ minimal problem, so tonight I decided I would try your method MrsZ of olive oil and sugar, my face is now so dark red that it almost looks purple. I wish my camera was available at this time as I would be glad to display this but alas, no camera. I don't know what to do at this point as I said, I'm loosing any and all hope and don't know if I should start low dose accutane next month or go on doxycycline 200 or so mgs, how long is an antibiotic course for steroid induced rosacea anyway? I'm coming up to my 1 year mark of when I initially used the steroid cream so that is disheartening. Anyway, I'm sorry I took so long to reply, I have been extremely down and out about all this though so I hope you can understand. Thanks again.

Hate&Love,

I might have missed this info, but how long did you apply the steroid cream all over your face? And what does your derm have to say regarding the latest developments to your face? And why did you discontinue the accutane?

MemberMember
(@mrsz)

Posted : 06/24/2009 11:04 am

Hate&Love: You should not have applied the olive oil and sugar to your face! That is for exfoliation, and you should never exfoliate atrophied skin. Besides, I only do that once a month. I suggest you apply cold compresses to your face, and slather it with Vaseline to calm it down. As I have said before, with steriod induced rosacea and atrophied skin you need to avoid topicals except for maybe Metrogel. You can either do nothing and wait for your skin to return to normal or you will have to take a systemic approach meaning antibiotics or Accutane.

ComplexIssues: You could have asked me to PM the name of a derm on the board - if I had one. I keep my PM's off because I don't like PM'ing. You shouldn't take it personally.

However, you have already asked me for the name of a Chicago derm via PM. I will reiterate my answer. I grew up in Chicago, but I moved out of Chicago 20 years ago - so I do not have a derm to recommend to you.

Regarding treatments for demodex mites, I have posted several links within this thread which discuss mites and treatment options for demodex mites. All the information you need can be found by following those links.

Hate&Love and ComplexIssues: I am starting to get irritated because both of you are posting questions have already been asked. And these questions have already been answered by multiple veteran members of this forum. With that said - I will no longer be participating in this discussion.

MemberMember
(@hateandlove)

Posted : 06/24/2009 5:54 pm

Hate&Love,

I might have missed this info, but how long did you apply the steroid cream all over your face? And what does your derm have to say regarding the latest developments to your face? And why did you discontinue the accutane?

I applied it for a few weeks full face coverage, I would say maybe 4 or 6 weeks in total. My derm is an idiot, he doesn't even really acknowledge the rosacea side of things as whenever I go there by some kind of lucky miracle my skin looks much calmer than normal. The first time I ever went to see him I looked really red, not as bad as the picture and most other times, and not near as bad as last night but at that point he did acknowledge the rosacea, he still does acknowledge it but to a very low degree, it's just acne acne acne to him. He seems to have forgotten that first day and doesn't even mention anything much about the steroid cream anymore, he tells me I spend too much time looking things up on the computer, yet my face is turning purple, I kid you not, purple from exfoliation??? Very interesting Mr. Derm, not to mention the fact that if I am in heat which of course it is summer so I must now stay inside my little bubble of a house otherwise if I go outside into this 90+ degree weather my skin will go from red to beet red in a matter of seconds?? I would say that is totally normal though (sarcasm)!!! Ughhhh, which brings me to my feeling that I really need to switch dermatologists. Last summer I was at the beach and living life, I still had acne, yes, but my skin tone was normal, not constantly red and irritated nor did I flush at the drop of a hat. I stopped taking the accutane because it was causing a permanent flush effect, I was looking extremely red and not to mention my face felt very hot and uncomfortable.

MemberMember
(@hateandlove)

Posted : 06/24/2009 6:07 pm

Hate&Love: You should not have applied the olive oil and sugar to your face! That is for exfoliation, and you should never exfoliate atrophied skin. Besides, I only do that once a month. I suggest you apply cold compresses to your face, and slather it with Vaseline to calm it down. As I have said before, with steriod induced rosacea and atrophied skin you need to avoid topicals except for maybe Metrogel. You can either do nothing and wait for your skin to return to normal or you will have to take a systemic approach meaning antibiotics or Accutane.

Hate&Love and ComplexIssues: I am starting to get irritated because both of you are posting questions have already been asked. And these questions have already been answered by multiple veteran members of this forum. With that said - I will no longer be participating in this discussion.

Thankyou for the reply, yes I now realize I shouldn't of used the olive oil and sugar, I figured that out a little too late though obviously. Normally I can very very gently exfoliate with a wet wash clothe with no problem or additional irritation, that is if I do it with an extremely light and gentle hand as I said so I figured the sugar and olive oil would be gentle too, especially if you use it. I didn't end up using cold compresses but I did put aquaphor on last night, today it's really red but no longer as extremely dark as it was last night. I really wish as I said that I would of had a camera because it looked as though my skin had totally been burned off and was literally crimson/merlot red in shade.

I don't think doing nothing is the right way to go about this, I feel I do need to take a systematic approach but that is what I'm not understanding and what I initially asked you in my last post, how long does a course of antibiotics typically last for steroid induced rosacea?? I'm sorry to be bothering you so much with my questions but obviously there is little to no information aside from here and also I've been able to locate no one else who has ever dealt with this aside from you. I will discontinue posting though as I can see it is clearly an annoyance and irritating, I ask what questions are on my mind or that I need to know at the time; some of which I'm sorry, might be answered elsewhere but also some specifics that are not. My apologies again though and I will also discontinue participation.

MemberMember
(@complexissues)

Posted : 07/05/2009 8:55 pm

Thankyou for the reply, yes I now realize I shouldn't of used the olive oil and sugar, I figured that out a little too late though obviously. Normally I can very very gently exfoliate with a wet wash clothe with no problem or additional irritation, that is if I do it with an extremely light and gentle hand as I said so I figured the sugar and olive oil would be gentle too, especially if you use it. I didn't end up using cold compresses but I did put aquaphor on last night, today it's really red but no longer as extremely dark as it was last night. I really wish as I said that I would of had a camera because it looked as though my skin had totally been burned off and was literally crimson/merlot red in shade.

I don't think doing nothing is the right way to go about this, I feel I do need to take a systematic approach but that is what I'm not understanding and what I initially asked you in my last post, how long does a course of antibiotics typically last for steroid induced rosacea?? I'm sorry to be bothering you so much with my questions but obviously there is little to no information aside from here and also I've been able to locate no one else who has ever dealt with this aside from you. I will discontinue posting though as I can see it is clearly an annoyance and irritating, I ask what questions are on my mind or that I need to know at the time; some of which I'm sorry, might be answered elsewhere but also some specifics that are not. My apologies again though and I will also discontinue participation.

Hate&Love,

Don't take Mrs. Z's comments so harshly, that's just how she is; just brush it off your back. What you need to do is, not panic like a person who is drowning...that usually ends up being counter prouductive and making that person drown even quicker! You do need to step back and just do nothing for a bit, to let the skin calm down, and then start to either see a new derm or continue working with your derm....What has happened since last time you posted?

MemberMember
(@gvsg11)

Posted : 05/11/2010 11:14 pm

Before my derm doc could tell me that globbing a wad of steroid cream on my face (t-zone) in frustration for my really dry face, it seems I developed some nasty steroid induced rosacea...which another dermatologist insisted i used more steroid cream to help out. I didn't want to put ANY of that stuff on my face again.

after experimenting with a bunch of different products because I didn't want to give dermatologists another dollar, I just picked up some calamine lotion because i figured that might sooth my itchy face. a few days into putting it on my face at night and i'm doing pretty well. no itchiness, face is less red, and is actually smoother. i'm not sure if this is some type of cure but it certainly helped me out. let me know if this works for anyone else that had damage from a steroid cream.

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 05/11/2010 11:16 pm

Before my derm doc could tell me that globbing a wad of steroid cream on my face (t-zone) in frustration for my really dry face, it seems I developed some nasty steroid induced rosacea...which another dermatologist insisted i used more steroid cream to help out. I didn't want to put ANY of that stuff on my face again.

after experimenting with a bunch of different products because I didn't want to give dermatologists another dollar, I just picked up some calamine lotion because i figured that might sooth my itchy face. a few days into putting it on my face at night and i'm doing pretty well. no itchiness, face is less red, and is actually smoother. i'm not sure if this is some type of cure but it certainly helped me out. let me know if this works for anyone else that had damage from a steroid cream.

I'm glad it's working for you. I'm 'only' an RN, but I know steroid creams shouldn't be used long-term and not on the face often at all! I don't see why your derms didn't see that. That just makes no sense. :(

MemberMember
(@jkt823)

Posted : 07/02/2013 10:09 am

Hi everyone! I joined this website just to give you guys some hope! I accidentally used a level 4 steroid on my face FOR THREE YEARS ( I mixed up the prescriptions my doctor gave me for dandruff and my skin). I had very mild acne before the steroid "treatment" ( like a pimple a week) but it went away completely and I had flawless skin for the three years I was on it. However ever since I was little I would get flushed/ hot in the face easily. After awhile I started to break out really badly, especially on my forehead. For months dermatologists could not tell me what was wrong... I tried tretnoins, BC and a whole other slew of treatments. No one recognized that I had steroid induced rosecea. I was devastated - I could not leave my room! The acne treatments were bleaching my face and my skin was red, dry and irritated and I had 4-7 huge pimples on my forehead or cheeks every day. I wold get horrible rashes that covered my face. It may not sound that bad but it felt horrible!

Long story short after about a year I am completely bump/ pimple free. It took probably 6-8 months for it to heal ( I'm sure the harsh acne treatments did not help) but metrogel and Finacea did the trick. My dermatologist said I probably had mild rosecea and the steroids sent my over the edge. My skin isn't 100% "back to normal" in the sense that I can still see really tiny bumps if I get flushed, but no one else would ever notice it. To everyone else my skin looks great!

So give your skin time! It will heal - and treat it very delicately. I only used Cetaphil products and Metro and Finacea and in 6 months I saw improvements.

Good luck and it will get better!!!!

MemberMember
(@janicev)

Posted : 11/01/2013 8:54 pm

Hello everyone, I'm new here and I created this account to share my story since I'm going through the same thing.

I'm a 20-year-old college student now. And it all started in high school. As usual like most teenagers, after puberty I start breaking out. You know, just the typical thing. A few pimples here and there. However, my pimples started turning to acne and that's when I started feeling hopeless. My aunt gave me this steroid cream (Dermovate) and told me to use it to see if it'll work. It worked! And I was amazed. From then on, that steroid cream became my holy grail for pimples and acne. But you see, I didn't know what I was doing. For 4.5 years now, I've been using steroid creams on my face without realizing what I've done.

I feel a little bit better just sitting here, crying and sharing my story with everyone.

I barely found out about the side effects of steroid creams this year (September 2013) and stopped using it altogether. The side effects of the steroid cream started kicking in. Pimple-like-rashes started forming everywhere. At first it started just on the forehead and chin but soon it started spreading all over my face. My face was constantly itchy; I couldn't concentrate and decided to go to the health center at my school (because I'm 200 miles away from home).

The doctor labeled it as acne and prescribed me doxycycline, clindamycin solution and retin-A. The side effects from the steroid cream started clearing within a week. However, clindamycin contained alcohol and my face couldn't withstand the alcohol and my face started having an allergic reaction. I finally went home and saw my primary care doctor. He told me to stop using all that was prescribed to me and use Curel lotion. I did just that. I stopped using the steroid cream for 3 weeks. However, the side effects of the steroid cream started kicking in again because my face was just so used to having steroid cream on every night. I felt hopeless and insecure and decided to use the steroid cream again. I've been using the steroid cream on the center of my face for 3 days now and finally decided to search up the side effects of steroid creams again. I've finally realized that I should've never went back to the steroid cream.

The pimple-like-rashes from the steroid cream is all over my face. It's itchy and sometimes I can feel my face heating up because the pimples start patching up together. My doctor prescribed me metronidazole. But will this make my condition worse? A lot of people are saying that time will heal it, but will it?

I feel helpless and have contemplated depressing thoughts several times now. I'm losing motivation in everything I do. I feel helpless. So if any of you guys actually read all this, THANK YOU. I just have one question for the people who have experienced the side effects of steroid creams. What did you guys do while having the pimple-like-rashes? These things are everywhere! Due to the prolong use of steroid cream, I'm starting to experience some side effects of Rosacea.