Notifications
Clear all

Cover Acne Marks For Men

MemberMember
(@finecrop)

Posted : 08/28/2015 11:52 am

So I am Asian (Chinese) male 19 yrs old.

I had sudden moderate to severe breakout 2 months ago, but now it's under control as my face is almost clear from active acne.

But unfortunately, the breakout left a lot of acne marks (seems like post inflammatory hyperpigmentation) on both sides of my cheeks and jawline. It makes me look like I still have severe acne. It looks terrible and I know it needs time to fade.

So while waiting for them to fade, I am seriously considering ways to cover the UGLY RED/BROWN SPOTS with cosmetics.

I know I am a man and this is soo embarrassing. But it affects my confidence very much and the only way for me is to cover it.

Please can anyone help me with recommendations about makeup or concealer to cover them? I would like to look as natural as possible because I am a guy. Considering that the spots cover large areas of my face, maybe I need medium coverage or even more. But all recommendations and insights would be appreciated. THANKS A LOTTT

MemberMember
(@hopeless87)

Posted : 08/28/2015 12:15 pm

have you tried 10% glycolic acid to help your red marks fade? that stuff is amazing.

my very favorite concealer is loreal true match concealer. it looks very natural and lasts a long time. i think ive tried all the drugstore concealers and that one is my favorite for covering red marks. they also have the best selection of colors.

MemberMember
(@kkfourtyseven)

Posted : 08/28/2015 12:17 pm

Hey, I actually just wrote about some foundations I've used (Look at my topic Best&Worst for acne). There's one really natural looking one called Teint Idole by Lancome. Its a bit expensive but its the only one that would look really natural for a guy. I have acne scars, also on my cheeks/jawline and it's true that they take FOREVER to fade. I've had them for months (I'm pretty sure proactiv is what caused them to be so bad because it literally burnt my skin >.<) and they've only faded a bit. But the good thing is they are pretty easy to cover.

I get the struggle though, good luck :)

MemberMember
(@dan-crow)

Posted : 08/28/2015 12:52 pm

I think using a foundation might be noticeable and that's probably the last thing you want others to notice you're using. Maybe look into trying a light tinted moisturizer. If you go the make up route make sure you find a shade that matches your skin tone exactly or it will look off and others will be able to tell.

MemberMember
(@kkfourtyseven)

Posted : 08/28/2015 8:56 pm

I think using a foundation might be noticeable and that's probably the last thing you want others to notice you're using. Maybe look into trying a light tinted moisturizer. If you go the make up route make sure you find a shade that matches your skin tone exactly or it will look off and others will be able to tell.

I agree, maybe foundation might not be the best fit after all. Especially if you wear a beard, it will be noticeable.

MemberMember
(@finecrop)

Posted : 08/29/2015 12:38 am

I agree, maybe foundation might not be the best fit after all. Especially if you wear a beard, it will be noticeable.

Thanks for the recommendations. But will tinted moisturizer be enough? I heard tinted moisturizer gives almost no coverage. Any suggestions about good brands? Thanks

have you tried 10% glycolic acid to help your red marks fade? that stuff is amazing.

my very favorite concealer is loreal true match concealer. it looks very natural and lasts a long time. i think ive tried all the drugstore concealers and that one is my favorite for covering red marks. they also have the best selection of colors.

Thanks. I'll check it out

Another question, which is better for guy; liquid, cream, or stick concealer? Thanks

MemberMember
(@dan-crow)

Posted : 08/29/2015 4:31 am

I'm being completely honest when I say I don't think it will be enough to cover the problem areas but it may help even out your skin tone. Granted, I am a guy and I have no experience with applying makeup so my word shouldn't be gospel. However foundations and concealers will most likely cover up the areas but then you have to make sure to blend them well into your skin while making sure to get perfect shades that go with your skintone.

If it were up to me I wouldn't worry too much about the red marks. We're always our own worst critic and others may or may not judge your appearance fortunately most people have their own problems in life they're worried about on a day to day basis. Focus on clearing up your acne first because any new pimples will leave new marks and then the same ol' cycle continues. Then you can tackle hyperpigmentation with various peels, exfoliators, oils to help fade the redness.

FineCrop liked
MemberMember
(@ben007)

Posted : 08/29/2015 7:45 am

I suppose it depends on where your from and who your family/friends are, but male makeup continues to become more and more socially acceptable. Don't be embarrassed :D

But yeah light makeup that matches your skin tone will do the trick. Concealer on those areas, then powder over the rest of your face. But don't aim to look perfect (which I assume you won't). It's what I did through high school when I had moderate acne on my face and nobody noticed.

MemberMember
(@finecrop)

Posted : 08/29/2015 11:32 am

I suppose it depends on where your from and who your family/friends are, but male makeup continues to become more and more socially acceptable. Don't be embarrassed :D

But yeah light makeup that matches your skin tone will do the trick. Concealer on those areas, then powder over the rest of your face. But don't aim to look perfect (which I assume you won't). It's what I did through high school when I had moderate acne on my face and nobody noticed.

Yeah I won't try to look perfect. Any suggestions for the brand? What concealer did you use? Thanks

MemberMember
(@ben007)

Posted : 08/29/2015 10:58 pm

Your welcome. I used "Hide the blemish" concealer by Rimmel London. This is a stick concealer which in my opinion requires a small makeup brush. If you want to apply with only your fingers, then a liquid concealer is the way to go - "Wake Me Up" concealer by Rimmel London.

FineCrop liked