Notifications
Clear all

Help Choosing The Make Up Right For My Skin

MemberMember
(@troubledteen123)

Posted : 04/01/2013 7:26 pm

Hi guys, so I'm 15 and I've had acne since I was 10 years old. I don't class it as cystic acne or any other severe cases of acne. Just hormonal teen stuff that I probably don't help myself with when wearing so much make up.

When I apply my make up I have come to the conclusion that I'm using the wrong kind for my skin so I have been wanting to go into the local drugstore where they have booths for all the different brands of cosmetics. But I'm a little bit self conscious of going in there.

I've lived with my acne for 5 years now but im even still grossed out a little by it so I'm really worried about how the woman will be towards me as she has to apply the make up onto my blemishes.

Was just wondering if anyone could offer some advice?

MemberMember
(@troubledteen123)

Posted : 04/01/2013 7:45 pm

??

MemberMember
(@mldecarlo426)

Posted : 04/16/2013 8:28 pm

Best advice I could offer is to do some ingredient research of the different makeup types you are considering (walgreens website usually offers it's products full ingredient list) and look for makeup that is hypo-allergenic, non-comedogenic and oil free. Also being free of ingredients like silicones, parabens, waxes and pthalates would probably be healthier for your skin. Also knowing whether or not your skin breaks out from sunscreen might help, some of us can't tolerate sunscreen without a break out. Also, try to use a makeup that will work for your skin type, for example I have combination oily skin and cannot use liquid make up of any kind without looking like a grease pit by noon. I personally am a fan of Physician's Formula brand, I use pressed powder and have had no new break outs/ irritation and the powder helps absorb some of my excess oil. Hope this helps!

MemberMember
(@olly-c)

Posted : 04/18/2013 3:52 pm

Look at the ingredients list and check it against this website - http://www.zerozits.com/Articles/acnedetect.htm

Don't EVER put ANYTHING on your face that has Isopropyl Palmiate, Ethylhexyl Palmitate or anything with palmitate in it! That's one of the worst offenders in makeup but there's lots more so make sure you check every ingredient to see it it's safe

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 04/21/2013 8:16 am

Yup, check the ingredients definitely. And when you find products that don't break you out be sure to test it. You can ask makeup counters to help you find your shade and maybe even wear it for the day without committing to anything. Wear it out in natural sun and see how it wears on your skin. People who work at the makeup counters will not care about your skin. They know that makeup is used to cover up the things you don't want seen so don't get too self conscious about it. I was the same way, but yeah, they have seen it all.

MemberMember
(@andrewbleah)

Posted : 04/26/2013 12:50 pm

If your dry skin look into liquid foundations , if your oily/normal skin mineral/cream make up is your best bet.