Notifications
Clear all

Accutane/PDT + Accutane effectivness

MemberMember
(@alpinaconsuna-tk)

Posted : 05/27/2020 3:25 am

Hello guys,

I suffer from severe - moderateacne (nodular-cysticbut doesnt cover a large area).

I was thinking about trying PDT (ALA + red light)before taking Accutane as maybe it could clear my acne instead of Accutane.

*I don't have any medical problems that may prevent me from taking Accutane.

In the office they said it could lead to results like those achived with Acutane,which sounds great for me (even if it lasts only for a year or two).

However, when I search online I findcontradictingthings.

for example: "A few patients have even reported a 50% to 75% improvement in their acne. PDT can be used to treat moderate to severe cystic acneand may provide results similar to those achieved withAccutane(isotretinoin)." ( https://www.verywellhealth.com/photodynamic-therapy-15630 )

I don't get it, does Accutane only clear 50% - 75% of the acne?doesn't it clear 100% of it (in most cases)?

And in addition I would like to hear opinions from people who have experience with PDT, can it really lead to results like thoseachived with Accutane?

Thanks.

Member Admin
(@dan)

Posted : 08/20/2020 10:52 am

The good thing about PDT is that it is not systemic so it won't affect your whole body. However, it works by impairing oil glands, similarly to Accutane, so that worries me a little bit long-term.

Still, if I had severe acne, I would probably consider PDT first before Accutane. At least it isn't going to potentially lead to lifelong side effects all over the body.

If you do decide to use it, let us know please. I'd love to see how it works for you.

And yeah, Accutane probably does provide more complete clearing, but again, you gotta weigh the pros and cons.