Notifications
Clear all

Cured my acne with stomach acid meds

MemberMember
(@abielo)

Posted : 05/21/2019 2:33 am

Visited a GP who diagnosed Leaky Gut. 2 weeks of Topzole 40mg (reducing stomach acid to allow stomach lining to heal itself). Zero side-effects and after two weeks I was done. 

And now:
Haven't had a single pimple since. It's been a few months now. Despite eating greek yoghurt and quality cheeses almost everyday. I still limit my sugar intake but when I do cheat there's no flare up.

I've met a lot of people with problem-skin who also happen to have stomach and digestion issues. I believe many "intolerances" people develop are simply symptoms of a damaged gut. The source of my stomach damage is probably Accutane and antibiotics.

Posting this in the hopes that someone who's never considered this kind of treatment to give it a shot.

1uq67htuved21.jpg

Papsmots liked
MemberMember
(@doodleme123)

Posted : 05/21/2019 8:10 am

5 hours ago, abielo said:

MemberMember
(@abielo)

Posted : 05/22/2019 3:26 am

19 hours ago, doodleme123 said:

Are you sure it was that? 2 weeks doesn't sound like a lot. And I'm surprised your GP diagnosed you with ''Leaky Gut'' - They almost never do and most do not believe in such a thing. Maybe it was a coincidence? I have been prescribed Omeprazole for a couple of months before (to stop acid reflux because of an ulcer) and it did nothing for my acne.

Hi, it was definitely the Topzole. Not only has my skin cleared but my digestion is way better and IBS symptoms are gone. I had CONSTANT cystic acne for the past 6 - 7 years. Nothing else worked long-term until I tried this. Compeltely clear. Won't work for everyone, granted, but maybe for someone who's tried everything else expect this...

MemberMember
(@doodleme123)

Posted : 05/22/2019 4:02 am

8 hours ago, abielo said:

Hi, it was definitely the Topzole. Not only has my skin cleared but my digestion is way better and IBS symptoms are gone. I had CONSTANT cystic acne for the past 6 - 7 years. Nothing else worked long-term until I tried this. Compeltely clear. Won't work for everyone, granted, but maybe for someone who's tried everything else expect this...

2 weeks doesn't sound long enough for the gut to heal but maybe it's because your body was too acidic that was causing you the acne? Did they test you forHelicobacter pylori(H.pylori)? This bacteria increases acid production in the stomach and the acid can cause ulcers. Antacids such as Topzole and Omeprazole are prescribed to reduce the acid in the stomach so that the stomach and ulcers can heal. Antibiotics are often prescribed with the antacids to kill the H. pylori bacteria.

In may case, I didn't have H. pylori but I did have an ulcer, so I wasn't prescribed antibiotics, just the antacid (Omeprazole).

Some people say skin conditions can be a result of low stomach acid, to the point where food particles go undigested and enter the blood stream, hence causing acne. Such people recommend taking HCI (Hydrochloric acid) to increase stomach acid to aid digestion of food in the stomach.

Apparently, high stomach acid could actually be a result of low stomach acid and vice versa. I have a very rough idea how that could be.

All this is quite interesting, especially in that it clearedup your acne.

Papsmots liked
MemberMember
(@lukasbudzinauskas)

Posted : 12/24/2022 3:05 am

Yeah this happened to me also. My throat was hurting bad so I assumed I had a cold. Went to doctors and he diagnosed me with acid reflux and prescribed me with 40mg omeprazole for 2 weeks and also a hardcore diet change. To be honest, my acne cleared in like a week and I was shocked since I had it for as long as I can remember. Additionally I decided to have my food intolerances tested and I had some pretty strong ones, but I already had them cut de facto with the prescribed diet.

I was pretty sure my acne was gone because of my diet, but unfortunately for me it was omeprazoles. So when I started lowering the dosage my acne was slowly but surely coming back even with the same diet.

MemberMember
(@papsmots)

Posted : 12/31/2023 12:49 am

hi @doodleme123, could you clarify what you meant by "high stomach acid could actually be a result of low stomach acid and vice versa."

this post resonates with me because since early this year i've had stomach issues (bloating, burning sensation after eating, etc.) and i noticed that i was also getting acne when my stomach problems started. but when i started taking omeprazole, my skin cleared up. now i'm scared to go off of omeprazole thinking that my acne might come back. would you happen to know why this could be the case?