Notifications
Clear all

Dermatologist appointment

MemberMember
(@silverstarling)

Posted : 07/22/2018 4:49 am

LONG POST

So I™ve suffered with acne since about 10, I™m not sure wether to class it as moderate or servere as I have about 8 spots at a time spread round my face and shoulders/chest, however I have tiny bumps and bad black heads in every single pore on my face, shoulders, back and chest. I have a lot of scarring on my body and face which seems to happen very easily as my skin is extremely pale and thin feeling (don™t know if that™s actually a thing)

But anyways after years of my dad not letting me take doctors advice with tablets as he (still now) believes acne is caused by œtoo much chocolate.. since living on my own the last few years I have tried lymecycline, which scratched the surface then stopped working after about 5 months, then doxycycline and my gp at the time told me if this doesn™t work we will go with accutane. It had no effect but between finishing the course and waiting for docs appointment I became pregnant. Obviously had to postpone everything and also was breastfeeding for 18 months after, in this time I have changed doctors surgery™s and 2 in the ago newest gp put me on oxytetracycline (4 per day). No effect. I asked about accutane and he told me point blank no don™t that we would be going through every antibiotic. I asked for another gp last Monday and after really stressing my reasons he referred me to a derm at the hospital. 

Just a a few questions- what™s the likelihood they will prescribe me accutane? 

Gp said between 10-12 weeks before I get an appointment, how long did it take for other people?

What will happen/be said in the appointment?

Will I have to take make up off? (Ik this sounds silly but I just want to prepare myself)

MemberMember
(@jstars)

Posted : 07/23/2018 5:13 am

Hi!

I posted a similar comment about three weeks ago when my appointment was coming.

Here's my experience:

My GP referred me at the start of January and my first appointment was July 10. It was a long wait!! She said I had been through all other options and dermatology was the next stop.

No to make-up. Well, none that covers your acne. They need to see your skin.

I saw a nurse first, she was part of the dermatologist's team. She asked me questions such as, how long I have had acne, what sort of acne (zits, cysts etc.), where I tended to get it, is there a family history of acne and what other treatments have I tried (prescribed or otherwise).
She also asked my martial status and if I have children. As you know, it's harmful to unborn babies and you cannot get pregnant.

She went to the dermatologist's room and I heard her explain what we talked about then he came in. He asked a couple of questions, the same as her. I have zero intentions of getting pregnant so opted out if the PPP but I am on the pill already.

I didn't have blood tests, as the month or so before I had them at my GP's surgery and they were fine.

I was asked my weight (they will likely weigh if you're unsure) as they tend to prescribe it based on weight. And then and there I was prescribed it. 60mg (three 20mg once a day).

As I opted out of the PPP, my next appointment is to be 8 weeks after (it would have been 4 weeks otherwise). I am also having blood tests at my GP's surgery at about week 7 for my own piece of mind to make sure they aren't doing me any harm.