Notifications
Clear all

Isotretinoin 20 mg/day, what are the first few weeks effects?

MemberMember
(@k-r-y-s-t-a-l)

Posted : 04/11/2018 9:22 am

I'm 22 years old suffering from severe acne that started last December 2017 and had the worst breakout last February-March 2018. 
Last March 15, 2018 my dermatologist recommended Isotretinoin 20mg/day, I got my capsules the day after, after having my blood works. But I did not take the medicine that day because my family received an email from the embassy asking us for a medical examination for our visa as an immigrant. I was afraid it might affect my med exam results thats why I decided to take isotretinoin after. From march 16-april 3 (the day of our med exam), my cystic acne dried already and left severe hyperpigmentation on both of my cheeks and on my chin but I still got 1-2 not so cystic pimples like the normal ones. Last april 6, I went to my derma to ask if how will I take isotretinoin. since she's not around, her assistant called my derma and she told her that i take my medicine 20mg a day. 
it's my 6th day now and still haven't experience any side effects. i got 6 small pimples not so big and cystic and i don't know if it's the isotretinoin thats causing them. I still have an oily face though and not yet experiencing dry lips nor dry skin. i want to know when will i start clearing up? and will the isotretinoin lighten or remove my severe hyperpigmentation caused by my past acne? pls help i feel like the medicine's not taking any effect on me. LOL :)

MemberMember
(@duperele)

Posted : 04/13/2018 12:46 pm

Your acne might actually get worse until like 3 months in, but then you should start getting clear.

MemberMember
(@k-r-y-s-t-a-l)

Posted : 04/15/2018 7:35 am

What does it mean? It would get worse at the same time it should start clearing? :) well mine was way worse last feb-march but started getting better this past weeks but left hyperpigmentations, so nasty. The first photo was when i was prescribed with isotretinoin(march 16,2018- date of prescription) (note: i didn™t take it asap because of our scheduled medical exam for visa last april 3.)The second photo was the day i first took isotretinoin (april 6). Right now, it still look like the second photo but im experiencing several pimples but not like the first photo and mostly not so cyctic but with whitehead. 

A8D53BB1-46A6-4307-8776-9B1A11BB3380.jpeg

C4527A4C-717E-46AE-8841-215C06321CB0.jpeg

MemberMember
(@saantastic)

Posted : 04/19/2018 7:31 am

On Ž4Ž/Ž11Ž/Ž2018 at 7:22 PM, K R Y S T A L said:

I'm 22 years old suffering from severe acne that started last December 2017 and had the worst breakout last February-March 2018. 
Last March 15, 2018 my dermatologist recommended Isotretinoin 20mg/day, I got my capsules the day after, after having my blood works. But I did not take the medicine that day because my family received an email from the embassy asking us for a medical examination for our visa as an immigrant. I was afraid it might affect my med exam results thats why I decided to take isotretinoin after. From march 16-april 3 (the day of our med exam), my cystic acne dried already and left severe hyperpigmentation on both of my cheeks and on my chin but I still got 1-2 not so cystic pimples like the normal ones. Last april 6, I went to my derma to ask if how will I take isotretinoin. since she's not around, her assistant called my derma and she told her that i take my medicine 20mg a day. 
it's my 6th day now and still haven't experience any side effects. i got 6 small pimples not so big and cystic and i don't know if it's the isotretinoin thats causing them. I still have an oily face though and not yet experiencing dry lips nor dry skin. i want to know when will i start clearing up? and will the isotretinoin lighten or remove my severe hyperpigmentation caused by my past acne? pls help i feel like the medicine's not taking any effect on me. LOL :)

Hey! I'm almost 21, and in the same boat as you. Taking 20mg Roaccutane for cystic acne and today is my 6th day. Even I have not as yet experienced dry skin or lips but since our dose is smaller, I reckon that it is taking time to kick in. This is the greatest test of patience I have ever had to endure- but tbh I was warned. Let's keep each other motivated!