Notifications
Clear all

Dry skin and minor breakout after dermatologist skin has never been worse

MemberMember
(@tinar17)

Posted : 02/23/2018 6:22 pm

I am in my early 20s and have never had skin care issues before ! This past winter my skin has been dry and has been have a few pimples here and there . I went to the dermatologist for minor break outs and dry skin . I was prescribed a Benzoyl peroxide face wash 4% 2 times a day. Clindamycin lotion at 1% 2 times a day. Adapalene get 1% 3 timea a week. Spironolactone 50 mg 2 times a day . It has been a week since using and after the first 3 days my face was 100x worse ! And I had a rash all over my face and was told it looks like a minor chemical burn . It is healing some but my face looks terrible and i have red little bumps on my chin, upper lip, some on my cheek,and forehead . I stopped all medicine except the spironplactone. It's been 3 days since using the others and my face looks like it's just getting worse and it looks like I have acne now. I went in for minor breakouts here and there and now a week later my face has never looked so terrible and now i really need help . Thanks !

MemberMember
(@hospitalbum)

Posted : 02/23/2018 8:10 pm

For someone so new to acne, that's a lot of new medications to prescribe, especially for small breakouts. Adapalene and BP both cause skin drying and irritation - you need to be modest with the amount you put on your face. I would add each one of these agents one at a time, as needed, maybe 2 weeks apart to let your skin adapt to the medicines. Starting with spironolactone like you are doing right now may be the best thing to do since many females use spironolactone alone to manage any breakouts. If you experience more, I would suggest adding another one of the above step-wise. Of course this is just based on what you've described so far. Hang in there! Ultimately the derm will most likely have the best management plan for you. There may be some reason he prescribed so many at once.