Notifications
Clear all

Minocycline question and adult acne advice

MemberMember
(@ludadubz)

Posted : 02/16/2018 3:28 am

Hi,

Im a 31 year old Male and have been dealing with severe/moderate/mild acne since I was 15 years old. I never went to a dermatologist until about 2 years ago where i was first prescribed epiduo with the antibiotic Doxycycline(taking doxycycline pill once a day). It took about a year for my skin to clear up completely (except for some acne scarring) and then my doctor told me to get off of doxycycline (i might be misspelling it) and then he prescribed me the tretinoin cream.

I stopped using all acne treatments after a couple weeks after my last doctor visit and about a month later my acne came back even worse. So i went to a different dermatologist and he prescribed me epiduo forte with 100mg dose of minocycline once a day. I did that for about a month and noticed an improvement in my skin, but when i went back to my derm, i told him i wasnt really satisfied with the progression because I would still get new pimples. He prescribed me tretinoin 0.05% along with the minocycline, which i did for a month, but again i would still get new pimples while old ones go away leaving marks. then on my next trip to the derm, he prescribed me tretinoin 0.1% and upped my minocycline to 100mg TWICE a day. Idont notice any side effects ever since i been taking mino, but reading about the possibility of skin turning blue from using Minocycline is scaring the crap out of me.

I am looking for advice on whether i should just stop taking minocycline altogether and continue the tretinoin by itself, or should i lower my dosage of minocycline back to once a day? Honestly, i feel as though my acne is at a standstill...not gonna get any better or worse than what it is, but I am afraid that if i drop minocycline, that my acne will come back worse even though I will still apply the tretinoin gel every night.

I see my derm in a week and a half, but I feel like he is just prescribing me stuff just because and I mean we barely even talk when i come in to see him...

should I go back on doxycycline and get off the mino or suggest a different antibiotic to my derm since im concerned about the irreversible hyperpigmentation that minocycline can cause me?

one thing is for sure, I am going back to taking the 100mg minocycline pill once a day and not two times a day. Reading stuff in this forums scares the crap out of me sometimes...

sorry for the long post and thanks for any suggestions/advice

* also, tretinoin makes my skin flaky and it seems like every moisturizer i put on my face just breaks me out. If anyone who has a similar issue, when applying moisturizer, have any suggestions for a good moisturizer? I have oily/combination skin and i have tried cetaphil and cerave moisturizers and they break me out, so i wanted to see if anyone had any othersuggestions for a good moisturizer?

thanks.

MemberMember
(@umas)

Posted : 02/17/2018 4:12 pm

It is possible that doxycyline was just working better for you OR there is resistance already built, and neither minocycline nor doxycycline will work again for you.
And yes lowering dose to 100 mg per day is a wise move till your derm appointment. If 200 mg is not working better then 100 mg then there is no reason to stay on that dose and risk side effects.

Btw tretinoin is good but it can cause breakouts. That's why you not should use it that often and alternate it withbenzoyl peroxide(you can buy that over the counter)

Ludadubz liked
MemberMember
(@jpablo)

Posted : 02/17/2018 4:19 pm

Antibiotics cleared me 95% for about 6-8 months but I relapsed and my acne has acne back with a vengeance and is a lot more resilient. 4 months of antibiotics has not improved my condition, therefore in the long run.. I don't recommend antibiotics.

It may be a good idea to stay on antibiotics however until you get some time with the cream to help reduce any IB which may happen. After about 2 months of cream usage you could wean the antibiotics out slowly and then just rely on the cream. Just an idea.

Ludadubz liked
MemberMember
(@ludadubz)

Posted : 02/18/2018 8:02 pm

On 2/17/2018 at 4:12 PM, Umas said:

It is possible that doxycyline was just working better for you OR there is resistance already built, and neither minocycline nor doxycycline will work again for you.
And yes lowering dose to 100 mg per day is a wise move till your derm appointment. If 200 mg is not working better then 100 mg then there is no reason to stay on that dose and risk side effects.

Btw tretinoin is good but it can cause breakouts. That's why you not should use it that often and alternate it with benzoyl peroxide(you can buy that over the counter)

so far the Tretinoin has been improving my acne, slowly but surely. I do develop new acne, but not as much as I used to before with the epiduo forte. I used to get these bigger spots of acne on my neck area that would take WEEKS to go away, but now they dont appear at all on my neck and i dont even apply tretinoin there because I have a beard, so im thinking since i have no acne in my beard area where I dont apply the cream, the antibiotic must be doing the trick for me...but then if it clears that acne why isnt it clearing my facial acne on my cheeks and forehead? 

i have been on tretinoin microspehere gel 0.1% for about a month and before that i was on tretinoin 0.05% for about 2 months and before that i was on epiduo forte for about 3 months. Since i only been on the 0.1% dosage for a month, I am going to give it another 5 before i either quit and try something else if it doesnt show results.

Getting off the antibiotic is what is scaring the shit out of me because I think last time i had an acne relapse it was because i got off of it and not because i got off epiduo. But after i cleared up the first time i went cold turkry on both so i dont know...

i have started taking vitamin D3 1000IUs and Zinc gluconate 50mg in the morning and then i will take minocycline at night. The zinc makes me kind of dizzy for about 10 minutes after taking it, but i havent felt any other side effects from it so i am going to continue using it. I am going to attach pictures of the zinc and vitamin D3 pills that i am using to see if i am using the right ones and if not if someone could suggest better brand/correct dosage of your suggestion and If you could provide a link to the product, that would be great and very much appreciated!

I am also going to try going on a paleo diet (very hard for me but im going to try it) and I have already cut out dairy, sugar, and I only drink water. The only thing i dont do is exercise and I am overweight. As for the paleo diet, i am looking for easy recipes that i could make with ingredients that i could buy at local grocery stores (walmart, wegmans, food lion, aldi). I went to whole foods and was shocked by the prices there and was just confused on what foods i should buy....

i think my acne triggers are stress (Im a worry wart and I worry alot/am a over-thinker), my job is pretty stressful but i am learning to cope with that and teach myself not to stress about it and also i cheated big time a couple of days ago and had like 5 mini packages of those fruit snacks that I give to my kids for snack and man i broke out big time so i am definitely staying away from sugary sh*t like the plague.

living with acne for over 15 years is a pain and I am sick of it so I am trying to find my way to grtting over it and STAYING on top of it.

also, do i do the food allergy tests/vitamin deficiency test with my primary physician or my dermatologist? I am going to do these tests to see if it will help with my journey to being clear. I was clear last year and enjoyed it for about 4 months and man life was very good, so I want to get back to that point and stay there...so any suggestions woukd be extremely helpful!

sorry for the long post and thanks for the replies!

here are the zinc and vitamin D3 pills i started taking yesterday.20180218_121915.jpg

On 2/17/2018 at 4:19 PM, jPablo said:

Antibiotics cleared me 95% for about 6-8 months but I relapsed and my acne has acne back with a vengeance and is a lot more resilient. 4 months of antibiotics has not improved my condition, therefore in the long run.. I don't recommend antibiotics.

It may be a good idea to stay on antibiotics however until you get some time with the cream to help reduce any IB which may happen. After about 2 months of cream usage you could wean the antibiotics out slowly and then just rely on the cream.  Just an idea.

Are you still dealing with having acne or are you clear now?

MemberMember
(@jpablo)

Posted : 02/19/2018 3:41 am

7 hours ago, Ludadubz said:
so far the Tretinoin has been improving my acne, slowly but surely. I do develop new acne, but not as much as I used to before with the epiduo forte. I used to get these bigger spots of acne on my neck area that would take WEEKS to go away, but now they dont appear at all on my neck and i dont even apply tretinoin there because I have a beard, so im thinking since i have no acne in my beard area where I dont apply the cream, the antibiotic must be doing the trick for me...but then if it clears that acne why isnt it clearing my facial acne on my cheeks and forehead? 

i have been on tretinoin microspehere gel 0.1% for about a month and before that i was on tretinoin 0.05% for about 2 months and before that i was on epiduo forte for about 3 months. Since i only been on the 0.1% dosage for a month, I am going to give it another 5 before i either quit and try something else if it doesnt show results.

Getting off the antibiotic is what is scaring the shit out of me because I think last time i had an acne relapse it was because i got off of it and not because i got off epiduo. But after i cleared up the first time i went cold turkry on both so i dont know...

i have started taking vitamin D3 1000IUs and Zinc gluconate 50mg in the morning and then i will take minocycline at night. The zinc makes me kind of dizzy for about 10 minutes after taking it, but i havent felt any other side effects from it so i am going to continue using it. I am going to attach pictures of the zinc and vitamin D3 pills that i am using to see if i am using the right ones and if not if someone could suggest better brand/correct dosage of your suggestion and If you could provide a link to the product, that would be great and very much appreciated!

I am also going to try going on a paleo diet (very hard for me but im going to try it) and I have already cut out dairy, sugar, and I only drink water. The only thing i dont do is exercise and I am overweight. As for the paleo diet, i am looking for easy recipes that i could make with ingredients that i could buy at local grocery stores (walmart, wegmans, food lion, aldi). I went to whole foods and was shocked by the prices there and was just confused on what foods i should buy....

i think my acne triggers are stress (Im a worry wart and I worry alot/am a over-thinker), my job is pretty stressful but i am learning to cope with that and teach myself not to stress about it and also i cheated big time a couple of days ago and had like 5 mini packages of those fruit snacks that I give to my kids for snack and man i broke out big time so i am definitely staying away from sugary sh*t like the plague.

living with acne for over 15 years is a pain and I am sick of it so I am trying to find my way to grtting over it and STAYING on top of it.

also, do i do the food allergy tests/vitamin deficiency test with my primary physician or my dermatologist? I am going to do these tests to see if it will help with my journey to being clear. I was clear last year and enjoyed it for about 4 months and man life was very good, so I want to get back to that point and stay there...so any suggestions woukd be extremely helpful!

here are the zinc and vitamin D3 pills i started taking yesterday.20180218_121915.jpg Are you still dealing with having acne or are you clear now?

Still dealing with it! On my forehead as well which I never had before!

MemberMember
(@ludadubz)

Posted : 02/19/2018 7:57 am

4 hours ago, jPablo said:
11 hours ago, Ludadubz said:

here are the zinc and vitamin D3 pills i started taking yesterday.20180218_121915.jpg Are you still dealing with having acne or are you clear now?

Still dealing with it! On my forehead as well which I never had before!

Are you currently on any medication?