Notifications
Clear all

Accutane: RELAPSE

MemberMember
(@hagare)

Posted : 01/07/2018 1:49 am

Hi guys,
Im a 21 yrs old, 150lbs female.Ive had severe acne due to oily skin since I was 14. Ive been treated with antibiotics and many topicals that unfortunately didnt work for me. About 2-3 years ago I started my first course of accutane. Ive seen improvement but shortly after I stopped, my skin started to break out again. I visited my dermatologist and she started me on another course of 6 months (monitoring my blood work). Again, there was a major improvement, my skin became so clear. I go overseas during that summer and it was very clear but after I came back to the States, my skin started to break out again so much. I revisited my dermatologist and she told me I might need another course and decided to put me on a higher dosage of 60mg! That dried my skin so much and I bled a couple through my nose. I stopped after two months because there was danger on my kidneys and nothing would help my dryness. Last summer I went overseas again and when I came back, the severe acne returned again. I was so frustrated and back to my dermatologist who told me that my acne is hormonal thats why it didnt disappear after almost 3 courses of accutane! Now Im on tretinoin cream but my skin breaks out everyday for no reason! I workout, my diet doesnt consist of lots of dairy nor fats and I sleep well. Can someone please explain to me if they had a similar experience? Should I go back on accutane?

MemberMember
(@im_mattw)

Posted : 01/07/2018 7:09 am

Its up to you if you decide to go back on Accutane. As youve been in on it multiple times previously, I personally wouldnt go for it again. As youre quite likely to relapse again.
I relapsed after Accutane worked for me, but didnt go back on it as it obviously wasnt super effective as it was only a temporary fix.

So if youre skin remained clear when youre abroad, is there anything you were doing differently that you can think of? Possibly a small change in diet/exercise/stress that was having a positive effect on your skin?

MemberMember
(@fiksi)

Posted : 01/07/2018 7:58 am

45 minutes ago, Im_mattw said:

Its up to you if you decide to go back on Accutane. As youve been in on it multiple times previously, I personally wouldnt go for it again. As youre quite likely to relapse again.
I relapsed after Accutane worked for me, but didnt go back on it as it obviously wasnt super effective as it was only a temporary fix.

So if youre skin remained clear when youre abroad, is there anything you were doing differently that you can think of? Possibly a small change in diet/exercise/stress that was having a positive effect on your skin?

I agree, one needs to consider extreme side effects of tane, some of which may only come years later... chances increase with dosage and repetition.

Accutane alters 6000+ gene expressions only in one eye gland, now imagine this for every organ.

In some countries, endlessly repeating doses is not allowed. Once you get Crohn or something like that, there may be no way back.

MemberMember
(@hagare)

Posted : 01/07/2018 12:19 pm

11 hours ago, Im_mattw said:

It™s up to you if you decide to go back on Accutane. As you™ve been in on it multiple times previously, I personally wouldn™t go for it again. As you™re quite likely to relapse again. 
I relapsed after Accutane worked for me, but didn™t go back on it as it obviously wasn™t super effective as it was only a temporary fix. 

So if you™re skin remained clear when you™re abroad, is there anything you were doing differently that you can think of? Possibly a small change in diet/exercise/stress that was having a positive effect on your skin? 

What confuses me is that when I™m abroad, I care less for my skin, wear makeup daily(which I don™t  do here), and eat less healthy. I also visit a country that doesn™t have clean water, and I™m constantly exposed to pollution, dirt, and dust that are everywhere. My skin stays clear but once I land here it gets crazy!39E6D820-74B4-4488-8CD0-E4DD49609943.jpeg

MemberMember
(@im_mattw)

Posted : 01/07/2018 1:29 pm

That sounds quite strange, as youd obviously expect it to be the other way around! Its possible something youve eating or doing at home then is triggered it.

Have you tried an elimination diet to see if there are any potential triggers foods that are making the acne worse?

It it could have something to do with you caring less about your skin when abroad. Especially in terms of over cleaning it etc. I find my skin is better when I do as little to it as I can get away with, causing less irritation.

MemberMember
(@mjayyy)

Posted : 03/29/2018 7:58 pm

Glad to hear Im not the only one experiencing a possible relapse.

I started accutane I believe in April of 2017. I never got to finish the course and maybe only did 4 months of it and the highest dosage I think I did was 40.

I stopped taking it in September I believe I was in the process of moving and changing insurances that I couldnt finish. While I was on accutane, my skin cleared up in the first two months completely. Ive never seen my face this clear before. I have pretty severe cystic acne that would leave my face covered in dark spots. Up until about two eeeks ago, my skin was clear. Ive noticed Ive started getting little small cysts again that seem all too familiar. Right now I have two. A small one on my chin and one on the top of my cheek bone. (Which makes me feel like its hormonal). Doesnt seem as bad as they used to be. But nonetheless, they are there. I also cant tell just yet if these pimples are hormonal because I also just came off of BC as well. They will come and go and some will leave dark spots and some wont. They dont hurt as bad as they used to but still the fact of them being there is enough to ruin my hopes of having clear skin again.

I know now its possible to relapse after accutane, but I just want some hope that maybe if it does come back, it wont be as bad as it used to.

Anyone had his happen to them? When it comes back, is it easier to treat or just as bad if not worse?

any advice would help. Acne is such a shitty thing to have and the thought of reliving that again is probably the shittiest ever.

MemberMember
(@xxhallowsxx)

Posted : 04/04/2018 3:13 pm

I relapsed after my first course of tane. Took another course and haven't looked back. I haven't even been on these forums in years. Just decided to pop in and look around.

I was a rare case I guess ... never had any side effects, never had the initial breakout or anything. Literally a week after starting my course everything went away and never came back until my relapse.

I had BAD acne too. The huge, hard lumps under your skin that turn the surface purple. They hurt so bad I couldn't shave and I looked like I had bruises on my face.

If I needed it again I would take another course. Best decision I ever made and I have been so happy with the results.

I do have keratosis pilaris on my upper arms, knees and gums from the treatment tho. Didn't pop up until after my second course.

I honestly can't say enough good things about it. I know a lot of people look down on the use of tane and talk about how dangerous it is ... I guess I was just lucky.