Notifications
Clear all

Accutane low dose therapy and growth stunting?

MemberMember
(@fingasz)

Posted : 01/02/2018 5:27 pm

Can a low dose therapy of accutane stunt growth in a 16 year old male? I took 10 mg of accutane per day for ~5 months at the age of 16 and haven't grown since then. Back then I was 175 cm and today still am (I am 20 now). My dad is 167 cm and my mother is 165 cm. Is it normal for a guy at that age to stop growing? I know I reached my predicted height but I am still concerned because some of my male friends with even shorter parents still ended up being taller than me... I know this forum is full of contra-accutane people but still I would like to know from you how realistic you think it is that accutane stunted my growth (under the given circumstances)? I read that this side effect only occured in patients who took very high doses of accutane for a long period of time. So I don't have to worry about this? Did any of you guys grow taller on/after accutane? Much thanks in advance for your input

I did some research on pubmed and every article states that premature epiphyseal plate closure is possible on retinoid acids (isotretinoin). But I only read about cases of very young patients who were on very high doses for many years (cancer medication). So I don't have to worry about this since I only took 10 mg for a fairly short amount of time (~5 months)?

MemberMember
(@fiksi)

Posted : 01/02/2018 8:32 pm

2 hours ago, fingasz said:

Can a low dose therapy of accutane stunt growth in a 16 year old male? I took 10 mg of accutane per day for ~5 months at the age of 16 and haven't grown since then. Back then I was 175 cm and today still am (I am 20 now). My dad is 167 cm and my mother is 165 cm. Is it normal for a guy at that age to stop growing? I know I reached my predicted height but I am still concerned because some of my male friends with even shorter parents still ended up being taller than me... I know this forum is full of contra-accutane people but still I would like to know from you how realistic you think it is that accutane stunted my growth (under the given circumstances)? I read that this side effect only occured in patients who took very high doses of accutane for a long period of time. So I don't have to worry about this? Did any of you guys grow taller on/after accutane? Much thanks in advance for your input

I did some research on pubmed and every article states that premature epiphyseal plate closure is possible on retinoid acids (isotretinoin). But I only read about cases of very young patients who were on very high doses for many years (cancer medication). So I don't have to worry about this since I only took 10 mg for a fairly short amount of time (~5 months)?

It's possible. But hard to say. Your height seems ok though.

MemberMember
(@fingasz)

Posted : 01/03/2018 4:56 am

8 hours ago, fiksi said:

But how likely is it? There is no single report of a low dose therapy of retinoids causing this or am I missing something?

MemberMember
(@duperele)

Posted : 01/03/2018 6:05 am

If your parents are that short then you are not going to grow anymore.

MemberMember
(@fiksi)

Posted : 01/03/2018 9:32 am

4 hours ago, fingasz said:
12 hours ago, fiksi said:

But how likely is it? There is no single report of a low dose therapy of retinoids causing this or am I missing something?

I'd say it's not very likely. We just can't know many things for sure- even Roche does not know how tane works. Yes, they don't know- even after 30 years+.

If you don't have other side effects or problems, just be happy and don't take it again.

3 hours ago, Duperele said:

If your parents are that short then you are not going to grow anymore.

Most likely. The OP should not worry about this.

MemberMember
(@fingasz)

Posted : 01/03/2018 11:51 am

So you guys think I reached my natural height? I dont know. To me it doesnt seem quite right for a male to stop growing at 16...

MemberMember
(@fiksi)

Posted : 01/03/2018 2:00 pm

2 hours ago, fingasz said:

So you guys think I reached my natural height? I dont know. To me it doesnt seem quite right for a male to stop growing at 16...

Males can grow until even 18-21, some even in 20s...some would stop 16-18 but it varies. But we can't say anything for sure in your case. Even assuming accutane did damage, there is nothing you can do now. do you have any other problems from it?

MemberMember
(@fingasz)

Posted : 01/03/2018 2:14 pm

6 minutes ago, fiksi said:
Males can grow until even 18-21, some even in 20s...some would stop 16-18 but it varies. But we can't say anything for sure in your case. Even assuming accutane did damage, there is nothing you can do now. do you have any other problems from it?

I just asked my mom about this and she told me that I had an early growth spurt and early puberty just like my dad so it would just make sense that I stopped growing early naturally.. I have no other problems (well that might just be my problem lol). I know I cant do anything about it so I shouldnt worry but it still bugs me out knowing that accutane might have had an effect on my growing body. I asked some doctors and all of them said that they have been prescribing accutane for 30 years and have yet to see a case where this drug stunts ones growth. Some doctors dont even know about this possible side effect... one doctor told me that this only occurred in patients who were treated with very high doses for a long amount of time

MemberMember
(@fiksi)

Posted : 01/03/2018 2:30 pm

11 minutes ago, fingasz said:
25 minutes ago, fiksi said:

I just asked my mom about this and she told me that I had an early growth spurt and early puberty just like my dad so it would just make sense that I stopped growing early naturally.. I have no other problems (well that might just be my problem lol). I know I can™t do anything about it so I shouldn™t worry but it still bugs me out knowing that accutane might have had an effect on my growing body. I asked some doctors and all of them said that they have been prescribing accutane for 30 years and have yet to see a case where this drug stunts ones growth. Some doctors don™t even know about this possible side effect... one doctor told me that this only occurred in patients who were treated with very high doses for a long amount of time 

It makes sense. From understanding accutane now, I am 100% certain it affects growth. How much is hard to say, and dosage side effects vary per individual. 

Also, it's very hard to run growth studies because this is long term and you don't have a counterfactual. 

Doctors often give tane too easily. ED and impotence were fi just recently added but sufferers are many. Given we don't actually fully know how tane works, it's hard to say. 

I'd take your mom's words and be happy that you don't have other problems. Don't take tane again and be happy :) 

MemberMember
(@fingasz)

Posted : 01/03/2018 2:51 pm

16 minutes ago, fiksi said:
It makes sense. From understanding accutane now, I am 100% certain it affects growth. How much is hard to say, and dosage side effects vary per individual. 

Also, it's very hard to run growth studies because this is long term and you don't have a counterfactual. 

Doctors often give tane too easily. ED and impotence were fi just recently added but sufferers are many. Given we don't actually fully know how tane works, it's hard to say. 

I'd take your mom's words and be happy that you don't have other problems. Don't take tane again and be happy :) 

I don™t understand why there are so many people on the internet who say that accutane affects growth but every doctor says that it doesn™t (in low doses)...  there are so many people and especially teenagers worldwide who take accutane. If it really affected growth that easily, there would be much more awareness and studies on this...?

MemberMember
(@fiksi)

Posted : 01/03/2018 3:09 pm

4 minutes ago, fingasz said:

I don™t understand why there are so many people on the internet who say that accutane affects growth but every doctor says that it doesn™t (in low doses)...  there are so many people and especially teenagers worldwide who take accutane. If it really affected growth that easily, there would be much more awareness and studies on this...?

It affects growth for sure, 100%. The issue is the dosage and individual response. It's very hard to do these studies and most affected people never report their side effects(any effects).

The dosage effect of tane varies per person. This makes it even harder to say for sure. 

Bear in mind we still don't know much about tane. We don't even know how it works fully. Just don't worry man. 

MemberMember
(@fingasz)

Posted : 01/03/2018 3:36 pm

22 minutes ago, fiksi said:
It affects growth for sure, 100%. The issue is the dosage and individual response. It's very hard to do these studies and most affected people never report their side effects(any effects).

The dosage effect of tane varies per person. This makes it even harder to say for sure. 

Bear in mind we still don't know much about tane. We don't even know how it works fully. Just don't worry man. 

Fine. I think I will just forget about this and focus on life again. I mean I am 10 cm taller than my dad. That™s above expected height. I only took 10 mg of accutane daily (that™s almost homeopathic). All the doctors tell me that Isotretinoin doesn™t stunt growth in low doses based on their experience with patients. I entered puberty early and thus stopped growing early naturally. I think I will just cope with these words... time to be happy again. Thanks for your input :)

MemberMember
(@fiksi)

Posted : 01/03/2018 4:08 pm

26 minutes ago, fingasz said:
Fine. I think I will just forget about this and focus on life again. I mean I am 10 cm taller than my dad. That™s above expected height. I only took 10 mg of accutane daily (that™s almost homeopathic). All the doctors tell me that Isotretinoin doesn™t stunt growth in low doses based on their experience with patients. I entered puberty early and thus stopped growing early naturally. I think I will just cope with these words... time to be happy again. Thanks for your input :)

Sure, no worries. I'd say tane more likely affected your anxiety than height. Like you said, you are hardly a midget. Don't worry :) 

MemberMember
(@fingasz)

Posted : 01/03/2018 4:18 pm

6 minutes ago, fiksi said:
Sure, no worries. I'd say tane more likely affected your anxiety than height. Like you said, you are hardly a midget. Don't worry :) 

I'd say severe acne and my obsession about my skin caused the anxiety. I found exercising really helps to boost my self esteem again.. I for myself will stop reading about accutane and acne on the internet from now on. Too much negativity. I will focus more on the happy things in life again 

MemberMember
(@fiksi)

Posted : 01/03/2018 4:37 pm

15 minutes ago, fingasz said:

I'd say severe acne and my obsession about my skin caused the anxiety. I found exercising really helps to boost my self esteem again.. I for myself will stop reading about accutane and acne on the internet from now on. Too much negativity. I will focus more on the happy things in life again 

That we should always do. Exercise is great- if joints are taking it well, at least you don't have this side effect. I'd love to exercise now man, but last accutane dose seriously f... me up. I must rest for a few weeks more. 

Acne was, for me, a disease... not a cosmetic problem. Forum is to share experience, especially as some have more than decade of it.