Notifications
Clear all

Second course of Accutane (10mg/day), Experiencing IB

MemberMember
(@pwnall)

Posted : 12/25/2017 1:46 pm

Hi everyone, so long story short, I was on accutane 3 years ago where I took 40mg/day for 6-7 months. It cleared my acne and I got my life back together. However, now I have developed folliculitis on my scalp (and a bit on my face), which I was able to keep under control by following the regimen. So a month ago, I went back to my dermatologist and he prescribed me a low dose of accutane of 10mg/day for three years! He told me that at a low dose, I would not experience an IB and the pills will basically dry out the existing zits on my scalp. Low and behold, a week after commencing the low dose treatment, I experienced the horrible IB where I have small whiteheads on my face as well as my scalp. I'm currently on my second week and I have been hiding in my room for the past few days. Last time I took accutane, my IB lasted about 3 weeks, but this time around, I think it will last much longer.

I am feeling so depressed and anxious, I really don't know what to do. Please help!

MemberMember
(@99f)

Posted : 12/25/2017 4:08 pm

I was on accutane for 6 mo, it's good for immediate results but its accepted that the acne will come back in a lot of people within a year. if i were you I'd stop. Acne is cureable without accutane/useless BP regimens. I cured my horrible body acne by treating demodex mites

MemberMember
(@pwnall)

Posted : 12/25/2017 4:47 pm

38 minutes ago, 99f said:

I was on accutane for 6 mo, it's good for immediate results but its accepted that the acne will come back in a lot of people within a year. if i were you I'd stop. Acne is cureable without accutane/useless BP regimens. I cured my horrible body acne by treating demodex mites

How did you do that?

MemberMember
(@99f)

Posted : 12/26/2017 8:40 pm

Ivermectin and metronidazole (two prescription medicines)

MemberMember
(@faroutbrusslesprout)

Posted : 12/27/2017 7:29 am

Im currently taking accutane 10mg a day. This is the first time I have taken the drug and planning on taking it for up to a year. Your derm said 3 years, thats a long time!! Was there a reason why so long?

Ive only been taking accutane for a month so far but I dont think I experienced an initial breakout. I havent experienced some of the most common side effects either like dry skin.........that could be because it is a low dosage.

All I can suggest is consult your doctor and see if you can take an anti biotic to quicken the IB process or to see if theres any topical products that are perfectly fine to use during accutane. Keep us updated!

MemberMember
(@pwnall)

Posted : 12/29/2017 8:40 pm

On 12/27/2017 at 7:29 AM, Faroutbrusslesprout said:

Im currently taking accutane 10mg a day. This is the first time I have taken the drug and planning on taking it for up to a year. Your derm said 3 years, thats a long time!! Was there a reason why so long?

Ive only been taking accutane for a month so far but I dont think I experienced an initial breakout. I havent experienced some of the most common side effects either like dry skin.........that could be because it is a low dosage.

All I can suggest is consult your doctor and see if you can take an anti biotic to quicken the IB process or to see if theres any topical products that are perfectly fine to use during accutane. Keep us updated!

@FaroutbrusslesproutThe reason why I am on a low dosage for 3 years is to treat my scalp folliculitis, which is really difficult to treat.