Notifications
Clear all

Accutane is making my skin worse? 5 months

MemberMember
(@annierose)

Posted : 12/24/2017 1:54 am

I'm losing hope.  I'm on my 5th month of accutane (which was supposed to be my last), and I am breaking out badly.  My skin is worse than when I began, & very inflammed.  It's so upsetting, I'm 20 and I feel horrible without make up.  Has this happened to anybody?!! I can't believe there's a chance this won't work for me... does anyone know why it sometimes doesn't work? Or how to make it more effective? I'm on 120 mg and I'm 150 lbs, this is the highest dose my dr has ever prescribed .. AND ITS ONLY MADE MY SKIN WORSE. I take it with a big meal.  Help please you advice is appreciated :(

MemberMember
(@abi72)

Posted : 12/24/2017 7:04 pm

17 hours ago, Annierose said:

I'm losing hope.  I'm on my 5th month of accutane (which was supposed to be my last), and I am breaking out badly.  My skin is worse than when I began, & very inflammed.  It's so upsetting, I'm 20 and I feel horrible without make up.  Has this happened to anybody?!! I can't believe there's a chance this won't work for me... does anyone know why it sometimes doesn't work? Or how to make it more effective? I'm on 120 mg and I'm 150 lbs, this is the highest dose my dr has ever prescribed .. AND ITS ONLY MADE MY SKIN WORSE. I take it with a big meal.  Help please you advice is appreciated :(

That dose is criminal - you need to go and see a different dermatologist immediately.
There is no data to support this notion but I suggest  when you are done you taper you dose down and don't go cold turkey - just a safety precaution and my personal opinion.

Where are you from?

MemberMember
(@annierose)

Posted : 12/24/2017 11:35 pm

You think so?! I am a little worried about it. Im from NY but I go to school in Florida. I started my first month with a dr in NY, who prescribed amnesteen and said unneeded bloodwork monthly. Now my dr in FL has got me up to 120 mg absorica because it wasn't working. I've only had to get 1 blood test so far which came out fine.

Did you have a bad a bad experience with the drug? I thought it was going to be a miracle pill so now I'm feeling pretty hopeless

MemberMember
(@bigburd24)

Posted : 12/26/2017 2:46 am

im185 lbs and only on 40mg

MemberMember
(@acnequestion)

Posted : 12/26/2017 8:59 pm

On 12/24/2017 at 11:35 PM, Annierose said:

You think so?! I am a little worried about it. Im from NY but I go to school in Florida. I started my first month with a dr in NY, who prescribed amnesteen and said unneeded bloodwork monthly. Now my dr in FL has got me up to 120 mg absorica because it wasn't working. I've only had to get 1 blood test so far which came out fine.

Did you have a bad a bad experience with the drug? I thought it was going to be a miracle pill so now I'm feeling pretty hopeless

You are supposed to get blood work once every month if you are on accutane. Also that dosage looks extremely high. When I first started, it 30mg and up dosed to 50 and so on.

MemberMember
(@annierose)

Posted : 12/27/2017 1:38 am

I know I'm not sure if it's malpractice that my dr isn't making me get blood tests. & yeah it is very high they adjusted it bc I had been on it for 3 months and still breaking out... idk why but my skin didn't react to 80mg it was barely dry. I'm just now starting to get dry on my face but it's just looking terrible and not clearing the acne ... I'm trying to figure out the root cause of my acne & gonna try to treat it holistically