Notifications
Clear all

Accutane and PCOS acne

MemberMember
(@lauren1327)

Posted : 12/04/2017 2:41 pm

I am starting Accutane next week but i was diagnosed with PCOS today. I took accutane a couple years ago but then i experimented with birth control for 2 years and now my other dermatologist thinks starting Accutane again will help. I am not sure if it will and i dont want to torture my body if it won't help, does anyone have any thoughts? I am on spiro 25 mg twice a day but hasnt helped much

MemberMember
(@99f)

Posted : 12/07/2017 3:35 am

On 12/4/2017 at 1:41 PM, Lauren1327 said:

I am starting Accutane next week but i was diagnosed with PCOS today. I took accutane a couple years ago but then i experimented with birth control for 2 years and now my other dermatologist thinks starting Accutane again will help. I am not sure if it will and i dont want to torture my body if it won't help, does anyone have any thoughts? I am on spiro 25 mg twice a day but hasnt helped much

Lauren

I am a med student and familiar with endocrine disorders

As you have probably been told the usual first-line treatments for PCOS are weight loss and spironolactone. Not saying you are overweight necessarily but minimizing adipose helps with the hormone imbalance.

50 mg / day spironolactone is on the lower end for treating PCOS.

Please see this article: https://www.healio.com/endocrinology/reproduction-androgen-disorders/news/online/{7c753b8b-dda1-4df2-afa8-d8455a950b77}/spironolactonemetformin-superior-to-either-treatment-alone-for-pcos

If I were you I would get on PSMF diet (it will likely require you to not be vegan though) for rapid weight loss and see a different doc - perhaps an endocrinologist - who can better manage your PCOS with medication. Bring that article perhaps. Your jaw/chin acne is typical of female hormonal imbalance and CAN be cured. Persevere and contact me if you have any questions.

MemberMember
(@lauren1327)

Posted : 12/10/2017 1:17 am

On 12/7/2017 at 3:35 AM, 99f said:
Lauren

I am a med student and familiar with endocrine disorders

As you have probably been told the usual first-line treatments for PCOS are weight loss and spironolactone. Not saying you are overweight necessarily but minimizing adipose helps with the hormone imbalance.

50 mg / day spironolactone is on the lower end for treating PCOS.

Please see this article: https://www.healio.com/endocrinology/reproduction-androgen-disorders/news/online/{7c753b8b-dda1-4df2-afa8-d8455a950b77}/spironolactonemetformin-superior-to-either-treatment-alone-for-pcos

If I were you I would get on PSMF diet (it will likely require you to not be vegan though) for rapid weight loss and see a different doc - perhaps an endocrinologist - who can better manage your PCOS with medication. Bring that article perhaps. Your jaw/chin acne is typical of female hormonal imbalance and CAN be cured. Persevere and contact me if you have any questions.

Hey! Thanks for responding! So do you think I should start the accutane or up my spiro to 100 mg/day? I go to the doctors on Monday and i pretty much get to decide what i want to do. I will definitely be seeing a new doctor and possibly add a endocrinologist.

At the moment i am a division one athlete and I am 5'3" 130 pounds. Do you still think i need to try the protein fasting diet?? I cut dairy to pretty much nothing and eat mostly whole grains. Ive also tried supplementing with a few different things (chromium, inositol, zinc, fish oil, B vitamins, calcium)

MemberMember
(@99f)

Posted : 12/10/2017 7:49 pm

The intensity and years of training required to compete at the D1 level increases testosterone and is likely contributing to your symptoms. Did your doctor know you play sports? I can't recommend for you to go off the dose you were prescribed but I am confident that any endocrinologist worth his/her salt can solve this for you.

Not sure how much leeway you have with weight loss as an athlete but it all depends on your body fat measurement. I would think if you are an athlete it'd be pretty low and so nothing to lose really

18 hours ago, Lauren1327 said:
Hey! Thanks for responding! So do you think I should start the accutane or up my spiro to 100 mg/day? I go to the doctors on Monday and i pretty much get to decide what i want to do. I will definitely be seeing a new doctor and possibly add a endocrinologist.

At the moment i am a division one athlete and I am 5'3" 130 pounds. Do you still think i need to try the protein fasting diet?? I cut dairy to pretty much nothing and eat mostly whole grains. Ive also tried supplementing with a few different things (chromium, inositol, zinc, fish oil, B vitamins, calcium)