Notifications
Clear all

birth control (levest) for acne

MemberMember
(@specialtree)

Posted : 11/18/2017 8:57 pm

hi! i've battled acne since i was teeny - from creams prescribed by my doctor to four years on antibiotics (lymecycline) to today. i have been prescribed levest (birth control, it's a combination pill of levonorgestrel and ethinylestradiol) two weeks ago and i am on my 12th pill so far. over this time, my acne has gotten significantly worse - much worse, it has never been this bad before, i have broken out all over the sides of my face and my forehead. i am unsure of whether this is normal and if i should proceed with these pills - should i give it some time and see what happens? other than this, i believe that my body is responding to the pills well. my face sure isn't though! not only is it completely horrifying to look at, it's also extremely painful and very irritating. please help - should i give it some time to see what happens and has anyone had experience with levest before?

MemberMember
(@bbammary)

Posted : 05/30/2018 12:47 pm

Hi there, I never usually get on these groups but I think I™m having a similar issue. I™ve had acne all my life but I finally had it under control until I switched birth controls. Now I™m in Levest and this acne is different, worse for sure and really irritates my face. I think it could be the birth control after reading this article  https://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/birth-control-acne-skin_n_4144120?guccounter=1

The active ingredient in Levest is levonorgestrel which based on the article makes it worse. 

Let me know what you™ve decided and if you™ve switched because I think I™ll be doing the same. I™ve attached a picture of where it had affect my face the most. As I said, this acne has felt more inflamed compared to what I™ve experienced before. 

04C35826-35C5-4EEA-832F-486C51BAEE55.jpeg

MemberMember
(@sapphy747)

Posted : 07/08/2018 7:30 am

Im on the third month of taking Levest and my acne has significantly worsened. Cysts and whiteheads around my jaw and on the sides of my face. I am coming off the pill because my acne is 10x worse as a result of this one. Did you continue taking Levest, and did your symptoms ever improve?

MemberMember
(@specialtree)

Posted : 07/11/2018 2:39 pm

On 30/05/2018 at 6:47 PM, Bbammary said:

Hi there, I never usually get on these groups but I think I™m having a similar issue. I™ve had acne all my life but I finally had it under control until I switched birth controls. Now I™m in Levest and this acne is different, worse for sure and really irritates my face. I think it could be the birth control after reading this article  https://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/birth-control-acne-skin_n_4144120?guccounter=1

The active ingredient in Levest is levonorgestrel which based on the article makes it worse. 

Let me know what you™ve decided and if you™ve switched because I think I™ll be doing the same. I™ve attached a picture of where it had affect my face the most. As I said, this acne has felt more inflamed compared to what I™ve experienced before. 

04C35826-35C5-4EEA-832F-486C51BAEE55.jpeg

this is exactly where mine worsened - i think i got through about 30 pills and finally gave up because it was becoming unbearable!

On 08/07/2018 at 1:30 PM, Sapphy747 said:

I™m on the third month of taking Levest and my acne has significantly worsened. Cysts and whiteheads around my jaw and on the sides of my face. I am coming off the pill because my acne is 10x worse as a result of this one. Did you continue taking Levest, and did your symptoms ever improve?

nope, unfortunately nothing improved! i got through just under two months and it honestly worsened a lot, especially around my jaw and sides of my face, same as you mentioned in your case. i stopped taking it and haven't taken it since, my skin cleared up a little in those areas but it scarred quite a lot unfortunately - i switched to a thorough skincare routine and am trying to control my skin the best i can this way but i believe a different birth control pill could definitely help. good luck!