Notifications
Clear all

Accutane - low dose for long time?

MemberMember
(@jesshc)

Posted : 07/04/2017 3:20 am

Hi all,

i'm on my fourth course of Accutane but this time I've been prescribed to take 1 20mg a day over the course of 18 months to 2 years. I've looked online and I can see people have had successful experience microdosing on it by taking 20mg once a week but can't seem to find anything about or anyone who has had a similar prescription. Has anyone had success with this and how did you cope being in accutane for such a long period of time? I was so dubious about going back on them as the treatment hasn't cured my acne but I just don't know what else I could've done.

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@abi72)

Posted : 07/04/2017 7:10 am

3 hours ago, jesshc said:

Hi all,

i'm on my fourth course of Accutane but this time I've been prescribed to take 1 20mg a day over the course of 18 months to 2 years. I've looked online and I can see people have had successful experience microdosing on it by taking 20mg once a week but can't seem to find anything about or anyone who has had a similar prescription. Has anyone had success with this and how did you cope being in accutane for such a long period of time? I was so dubious about going back on them as the treatment hasn't cured my acne but I just don't know what else I could've done.

Thanks!

Are you male or female? No one should be taking a 4th course of accutane in any circumstances.
It is my understanding that a 2nd courses are banned now in many counties now.

MemberMember
(@jesshc)

Posted : 07/04/2017 8:30 am

1 hour ago, hatetane said:
Are you male or female? No one should be taking a 4th course of accutane in any circumstances.

I'm female. The first two courses were cut short and I completed a six month course last year but my skin just got bad again as soon as it left my system. Didn't realise second courses had been banned - I really wanted to avoid going back on it but I've just tried everything and anything to no avail.

MemberMember
(@maisie89)

Posted : 07/05/2017 3:02 am

18 hours ago, jesshc said:
19 hours ago, hatetane said:

I'm female. The first two courses were cut short and I completed a six month course last year but my skin just got bad again as soon as it left my system. Didn't realise second courses had been banned - I really wanted to avoid going back on it but I've just tried everything and anything to no avail.

Hi Jesshc, how old are you? After I relapsed after my second course, I re-started Accutane at 10mg every 3 or 4 days and along with retin-a .25%, it's keeping me nice and clear and I have zero side effects. Why don't you talk to your derm about going down this route? Lots of people who have had severe acne and replased often re-start it at even 20mg once or twice a week and get great results. Also have you ever considered the possibility that your acne is hormal? Spironolactone is a hormone blocker and it's amazing for people who don't remain clear after acne - have a look into this, I took it myself for 10 months and it was amazing for my skin but I experienced hair loss on it (this side effect is very very rare and most people have no side effects on this med!!)

MemberMember
(@gooeygooey)

Posted : 11/20/2017 3:47 am

On 4 July 2017 at 6:20 PM, jesshc said:

Hi all,

Thanks!

Hey Jesshc,

My dorm has recently put my on the same course as you. He says he does it often for people who are anxious about side effects. I was just wondering how your going on it now? When did you start to notice a change?