Notifications
Clear all

What can I take after Doxycycline

MemberMember
(@mdoozy)

Posted : 06/09/2017 2:13 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm 19 years old and I've been taking Doxycycline 100mg a day for a little over a year now and during the last couple months it has become less and less effective. The first year has been amazing and my face was 100% clear but now I'm starting to breakout again and have decided to stop Doxycycline by taking it once every other day until I finish this months last prescription. My question is; what can I take after Doxycycline? I have ruled out almost all topical treatments and have seen that oral medication works the best for me. I initially starting taking Doxy because I would get cystic acne occasionally but other than that had pretty mild acne. I haven't had a cystic pimple in over a year now but I'm breaking out more than I used to. Having clear skin for a year has really made me more confident and overall bettered myself and I would do anything to go back to that. Hopefully you can suggest an alternative or something that can make me clear again. Thank you.

MemberMember
(@athletic-man)

Posted : 06/11/2017 3:31 am

Accutane seems like the most logical next step if you want to bypass any other antibiotic. It is your best option for clear skin.

MemberMember
(@westcoast82)

Posted : 06/11/2017 8:56 am

What is your current skincare Regimen? What supplements/other medication do you take? And lastly, what is your diet like? Sorry for all of the questions but this will give me a better understanding of your current situation. First of all, I hate when dermatologists put people on antibiotics that long. I always advise my clients to avoid antibiotics at all costs. They kill off all of the good gut bacteria in our intestine which causes our flora to be unbalanced. When this occurs it can cause people to develop food allergies or intolerances which further worsensthe acne outbreak. Are your breakouts inflamed?

MemberMember
(@mdoozy)

Posted : 06/13/2017 1:16 am

On 6/11/2017 at 6:56 AM, WestCoast82 said:

What is your current skincare Regimen? What supplements/other medication do you take? And lastly, what is your diet like? Sorry for all of the questions but this will give me a better understanding of your current situation. First of all, I hate when dermatologists put people on antibiotics that long. I always advise my clients to avoid antibiotics at all costs. They kill off all of the good gut bacteria in our intestine which causes our flora to be unbalanced. When this occurs it can cause people to develop food allergies or intolerances which further worsensthe acne outbreak. Are your breakouts inflamed?

Hello WestCoast82. I am currently trying out the Exposed Skin care routine (cleanser, tonic, salicylic acid at night and benzoyl peroxide during the day) and so far it is doing an okay job at keeping my acne at bay but I am afraid it is only because I have just started this routine and that my skin will quickly get too used to it and the breakouts will start again. I am not taking any supplements or other types of medication at the moment. I workout 6 days a week and stopped taking creatine about 4 months ago. I would say my diet is pretty healthy, i'm lactose intolerant so I avoid any kind of dairy and don't eat any junk food, fast food or anything greasy. I also drink over a gallon of water a day to stay hydrated. I eat a lot of red meat, chicken and other high protein foods. No my breakouts aren't very inflamed, I rarely get white heads or black heads just pimples underneath the skin surface and look like a small bump from an external view. Please let me know if you have any more questions, I would be pleased to answer them. Thank you

MemberMember
(@westcoast82)

Posted : 06/13/2017 11:06 am

It sounds like you're on the right track! I would give your new skincare regimen at least four weeks to work its magic. Don't be surprised if your skin purges a bit, but this will be beneficial in the long run (comedones can become inflamed when they purge). Also, I would reccomend using a sunscreen on top of the benzoyl peroxide as it can increase your sensitivity to the sun (you may already be doing so). Your diet is perfect and do whatever works best for your body. Red meat can be really hard for our body to digest and causes problems for many people, but if this isn't a problem for you then disregard and follow what works! In your post you said oral medications typically work best for your skin so I would suggest researching cod liver oil. Supplementing with cod liver oil helps many people because it aids our body with the vitamin A our skin needs our thrive. Overall, it sounds like you know what you're doing and hopefully you'll rid yourself of those stubborn comedones in no time with your new regimen. Best of luck! If you have any questions feel free to ask.

MemberMember
(@mdoozy)

Posted : 06/13/2017 2:32 pm

3 hours ago, WestCoast82 said:

It sounds like you're on the right track! I would give your new skincare regimen at least four weeks to work its magic. Don't be surprised if your skin purges a bit, but this will be beneficial in the long run (comedones can become inflamed when they purge). Also, I would reccomend using a sunscreen on top of the benzoyl peroxide as it can increase your sensitivity to the sun (you may already be doing so). Your diet is perfect and do whatever works best for your body. Red meat can be really hard for our body to digest and causes problems for many people, but if this isn't a problem for you then disregard and follow what works! In your post you said oral medications typically work best for your skin so I would suggest researching cod liver oil. Supplementing with cod liver oil helps many people because it aids our body with the vitamin A our skin needs our thrive. Overall, it sounds like you know what you're doing and hopefully you'll rid yourself of those stubborn comedones in no time with your new regimen. Best of luck! If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Thank you so much. For the cod liver oil do you suggest it under oil or capsules and what dosage to take daily? Thank you. Also if you recommend a certain brand or a purchase link on amazon perhaps. Thanks again for the advice.

MemberMember
(@westcoast82)

Posted : 06/13/2017 4:10 pm

I personally take it in a liquid form because it doesn't taste bad AT ALL and it's a lot more effective than the capsules. I love the brand Nordic Naturals - Arctic Cod Liver Oil. I personally take it and after a month I've definetly noticed an improvement in my skin. I purchased mine at the vitamin shoppe but I'm sure you can find it on Amazon :) Best of luck and I'm happy to answer anymore questions! Cheers!