Notifications
Clear all

Lymecycline side effects?

MemberMember
(@obzest)

Posted : 05/27/2017 3:26 am

Back in the earlier months of 2016, I was prescribed lymecycline 408mg from my dermatologist after I had issues with benzoyl peroxide causing my skin to get worse. The drug had a massive effect on my skin and I certainly cleared up for good (now I'm noticing some slight skin problems but nothing I can't handle). However, at the time I was given a 6 months prescription, no breaks. I managed well for the first 4 months but by month 5 I noticed a considerable amount of aggravation to my gut health, with recurring diarrhoea and so I was told I could stop, but I was so close to the end that I decided to endure and keep going but I eventually stopped since it was getting worse. I thought the problem was resolved, until one unfortunate day at university all hell broke loose with my health and I was suffering some intense abdominal pain, diarrhoea and ever since that day, I have never felt the same. It's been 10 months now, abdominal pain and bowel upsets constantly. I've been for lots of tests and I'm all clear of intolerance and inflammation, so the consultant suggested I consider what I was taking before I got considerably ill. They said that antibiotics are notorious for causing some damage to our insides, but I never entertained the idea since the side effects weren't on the list. Anyone else experienced something similar with lymecycline? I imagine my case is quite unique since the body usually recovers but not everyone can bounce back from illnesses, and the doctors are at a loss for what might have made me ill, yet the dermatologist hasn't ever encountered chronic illness from these before. Maybe I'm just overthinking it, or maybe these antibiotics really did a number on me?

MemberMember
(@umas)

Posted : 05/28/2017 10:58 am

Your situation is not unique. I experienced the same thing, and I have constant abdominal pain in the last 6 years(because of 3 months course of Lymecycline although I took lymeclycline before). I would advise you to check calprotectine levels and SIBO.