Notifications
Clear all

Alternatives to roaccutane / accutane?

MemberMember
(@elegantpug)

Posted : 05/24/2017 11:56 am

Hi,
I really need some advice on what alternatives to roaccutane/accutane are avaliable for moderate to servere cystic acne?? Ive had acne for about 8 years now and ive been on just about every perscription drug out there (benzoyl peroxide,lymecycline,erythromycin, clindamycin, birth control) and after a year or longer each of them have just became ineffective and my acne has came back again in some cases worse. I realise that roaccutane/accutane would be an option for long term effectiveness but as i am prone to depression i cant take this, ive also been told theres nothing more my doctor can give me antibitotics wise, im just wondering if anyone has had a similar expierence to me or if anyone knows any other options i have medication wise? Thanks

MemberMember
(@moonlitriver)

Posted : 05/25/2017 3:38 pm

I was told for years that I couldn't have isotretinoin because of being prone to depression, but my current dermatologist is a consultant and has been part of academic research into possible links of isotretinoin to depression and assures me that actually it's a false correlation. Like me she thinks that it's the severity of acne that warrants treatment with isotretinoin (and the potential for it to flare up worse at the beginning of treatment) that accounts for most, not not all, experiences of depression while taking the drug. So if you're keen to try it then it might be worth searching around for a dermatologist who will prescribe it to people with a history of depression because they do exist.

As for other treatments, have you tried spironolactone? It's what I'm on at the moment and it's an anti-androgen that can only be taken by women but is a good one to try if you suspect your acne is hormonal and aren't ready to take the plunge and commit to isotretinoin. It does have to be prescribed by a dermatologist though as acne is an off-label use of the medication.