Notifications
Clear all

this is my last resort... PLEASE HELP

MemberMember
(@111viva111)

Posted : 04/30/2017 11:06 am

I am a 17 year old male, living in the UK and have been struggling with acne since puberty began at about 13, so for almost 4 years.

I began experimenting with different drugstore creams, face masks, home remedies etc. None of these worked for me at all and my acne made me increasingly depressed.

I finally went to the doctor about a year ago and was prescribed 2 different topical antibiotics, with benzoyl peroxide. These also did not work and I continued to notice morespots.

I was finally prescribed Tetralysl Limecycline about 10 months ago, I had a three month course and I noticed a different in my acne, FINALLY!!! but soon after the three month treatment my acne came back worse than ever. I quickly went back for another three month treatment when the same thing happens again. I became addicted, not because the drug is addictive, but I was addicted to the results, and then when my acne came back I wanted more so I could see results again. I went back for a third three month cycle and the same thing happened again.

I've been off the drug for a number of months now and I am feeling depressed again. People are pointing out and noticing my acne which makes me hide my face when I talk etc. I am extremely self conscious, before acne i was even 'over confident.' My self esteem has been ruined.

I am am seriously stuck for what to do next, I am beginning to think I will have acne forever, which I don't want to think because I know there must be something out there!

I am am considering asking for Isotretionoin (accutane) but I am aware of the huge side effects.

Coming from someone that has: tried several courses of antibiotics, several types of cream, home remedies like honey, aspirin and all types of drug store products, I want to ask, is there hope? I also eat clean as I can and drink an drink litres of water per day with no results.

Please suggest wheter you feel accutane/isotretinoin is worth it and any other suggestions that have worked for your acne

thanks

MemberMember
(@10footlong)

Posted : 04/30/2017 11:22 am

For all theyears you've been struggling with acne, I think it's worth a try. Nothing else is working and accutane is one of the most popular medication for severe acne, plus, the doctor usually makes you take a monthly blood test to make sure you're ok. Also, the side effects aren't as bad as you make them seem, it's rare to get depression from it, the only ones you will probably get is dry skin and lips.