Notifications
Clear all

Accutane - Did I make a mistake?

MemberMember
(@jenm1976)

Posted : 02/14/2017 11:51 am

My son, who is 14, has been on Accutane (Claravis) for less than a month now. His is already extremely fair skin (like me), so he already does the SPF thing. His skin has gotten so dry and is peeling. His acne is worse than it was. His nose has been running, causing major irritation, dry skin, and peeling on and below his nose. His lips look like has been lost in the desert for a bit. And, now, this morning, his nose is bleeding. He is tired and irritable, and his joints are hurting. It seems that almost every side effect he could have at this point, he is having. I have gotten him the Cataphyll to use his soap. I got him the Cataphyll cream for moisture at night, Eucerine lotion with SPF for daytime, Vaseline for his lips, and regular chaptstick. Now, I will have to get him something for his nose.

I guess I just want to know, since he so new to the meds, will these adverse effects get better? Or, are we looking at 6 months or more of this?

MemberMember
(@washer)

Posted : 02/14/2017 8:38 pm

Take him off the medication asap. I personally think that you are a veryirresponsible parent for letting him be on a drug which can have so many severe long term side effects health wise.

I have been on Accutane too and the only thing I can say that it is BY FAR the worst decision of my life.

MemberMember
(@user575527)

Posted : 02/14/2017 9:33 pm

Hi Jen,

I think you should talk to his dermatologist about what you have said in your next appointment. I hope some of the following tips help you with his journey ( you will probably know most of them ):

First and foremost, try to assure him and comfort him to stay happy and optimistic. This is good for your mind and body, and will help you get through the accutane journey.

(1) Taking your pills with or just after your highest fat meal of the day.
(2) Moisturise twice daily ( I use fragrance-free everything ), and make sure that you apply your moisturiser to your skin when it is still damp ( just after you have dried it ). This ensures that the moisturiser soaks into the skin and doesn't just sit on top of it. I think the thicker the better. My skin is never dry using Cetaphil!
(3) Avoid the Sun as much as possible,remember sunscreen!
(4) This, like everything, varies: Try eliminating dairy, and gluten. You may be able to eat things with dairy and gluten but they may not be good for you. Diet is key. I would avoid letting your son ( and your family, for moral support ) eat fast food and other really greasy foods.
(5) Exercise lightly, don't do anything excessive though.
(6) Try and sleep well.
(7) Look up "Nina and Randa" on YouTube. They cured their acne without medication. They are amazing and are vegans and can provided recipes and other things. They videoed their journey. They cured their acne by changing their diet.
(8) Change your bed sheets weekly.
(9) Use fragrance-free laundry washing liquid.
(10) Avoid touching your face.
(11) Stay stress-free.

I do notice that my nose is a little runny often, and try and always use lip balm throughout the day. Keep the lip balm in his pocket and just keep using it. I wouldalso try (2), Cetaphil is amazing and if applied just after you wash your face and dab it try, I would imagine it will help massively with the dryness.

Also, I think you are doing a great job, an amazing parent. You have everything covered for him and are doing all that you can.

I hope that this post is helpful, butremember to tell your dermatologist about your son's issues. A lower dose or different medication may work for your son, and also reducing stress and a new diet could be the key.

MemberMember
(@chippy1)

Posted : 02/17/2017 6:56 am

On 2/14/2017 at 4:51 PM, JenM1976 said:

My son, who is 14, has been on Accutane (Claravis) for less than a month now. His is already extremely fair skin (like me), so he already does the SPF thing. His skin has gotten so dry and is peeling. His acne is worse than it was. His nose has been running, causing major irritation, dry skin, and peeling on and below his nose. His lips look like has been lost in the desert for a bit. And, now, this morning, his nose is bleeding. He is tired and irritable, and his joints are hurting. It seems that almost every side effect he could have at this point, he is having. I have gotten him the Cataphyll to use his soap. I got him the Cataphyll cream for moisture at night, Eucerine lotion with SPF for daytime, Vaseline for his lips, and regular chaptstick. Now, I will have to get him something for his nose.

I guess I just want to know, since he so new to the meds, will these adverse effects get better? Or, are we looking at 6 months or more of this?

Hi Jen,

Most of the side effects you mention, are normal on this treatment. Depending on treatment(dose), acne can get worse when you first start a course of accutane but this will improve as skin adjusts to the treatment.

All I would say is that 14 years old, does seem very young to start on accutane, as treatment is very strong and can have side effects. If you really feel its right for your son, maybe speak to the doctor about reducing the strength of the daily dosage, as this will reduce many of the side effects.

Kind regards

MemberMember
(@graciep)

Posted : 02/20/2017 12:00 am

I'm on five months and my skin is still worse than when i started so just be able to prepare him if this happens :(

MemberMember
(@abi72)

Posted : 02/21/2017 1:56 pm

On 2/14/2017 at 4:51 PM, JenM1976 said:

Other than the joint pain most of those side effects will diminish. However your son might have his growth stunted, get depressed and have suicidal ideation. He may have psychotic episodes, have to give up sport, and drop out of school or at least suffer academically. He might/probably have stomach/bowel problems. He may have his libido lowered permanently and he might get erectile dysfunction.
All facts I am afraid.
Please take your kid of accutane and let him take the wrist himself when he is older if he wants to.
Trust me, you will never forgive yourself if your son has any permanent side effects.
PM me if you want.

MemberMember
(@accuity_drane)

Posted : 02/21/2017 8:21 pm

On 2/14/2017 at 11:51 AM, JenM1976 said:

Wow, I would have been thrilled if Accutane let me off that easy. I took Accutane from January 2012 until June 2012, and I live with the side effects to this day. The "tired" and "irritable" effects are possibly the most sinister, because you assume it's due to life's stressors, or simply a benign (but pesky) side effect. I did not recognize my very mild energy/mood disturbances while on the drug as indicative of a serious psychiatric problem developing. Yet it was, or I wouldn't still be living with anhedonia and cognitive dysfunction to this day.

Doctors are dismissive of side effects, but the FDA actually states that one should cease the drug immediately and see a doctor if ANY mental changes occur. You know your son's usual behaviors better than anyone. I urge you to comply with FDA recommendations, but the choice is ultimately yours.