Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Low Dose/Long Term

MemberMember
(@kchambers)

Posted : 02/12/2017 2:24 am

I live near cleveland, ohio. I have found no dermatologists willing to do low dose (10 or 20mg) long term accutane( say a year or longer?) . I was on 40 mg for 5 months age 17. The. 120mg for 5 months age 23. Now I'm 25 and my skin is still very high maintenance acne and rosacea. Anyone know how I can get on a low dose but long term acfutane course

MemberMember
(@anb1094)

Posted : 02/23/2017 2:51 pm

Your doctor must have a reason to not want to put you on low dose long term? Or no? If insurance will cover it, then why not? My doctor said that the results may not be as long lasting on low dose long term, to which I replied, "thats a risk I am willing to take". She said ok, and the rest is history. I am on 20mg a day until I reach my cumulative dosage. I am extremely satisfied and have no side effects. Other than dry skin of course. It has only been two weeks....so more side effects may come, but I feel this was an excellent decision. Good luck!!

MemberMember
(@chippy1)

Posted : 02/23/2017 5:33 pm

On 2/12/2017 at 7:24 AM, Kchambers said:

I live near cleveland, ohio. I have found no dermatologists willing to do low dose (10 or 20mg) long term accutane( say a year or longer?) . I was on 40 mg for 5 months age 17. The. 120mg for 5 months age 23. Now I'm 25 and my skin is still very high maintenance acne and rosacea. Anyone know how I can get on a low dose but long term acfutane course

14 hours ago, anb1094 said:

Your doctor must have a reason to not want to put you on low dose long term? Or no? If insurance will cover it, then why not? My doctor said that the results may not be as long lasting on low dose long term, to which I replied, "thats a risk I am willing to take". She said ok, and the rest is history. I am on 20mg a day until I reach my cumulative dosage. I am extremely satisfied and have no side effects. Other than dry skin of course. It has only been two weeks....so more side effects may come, but I feel this was an excellent decision. Good luck!!

I did low dose, long term treatment, as wanted to keep side effects as little as possible. I stayed on 20mg a day for almost 15 months and had very little side effects the whole time and treatment was very positive. The only down side is that even tho I was on treatment for longer than normal, I still didnt reach my cumulative dosage and did start getting breakouts shortly after finishing the course but I believe this was because I was taking a low "maintenance" dose (for my weight). My Dermatologist mentioned she has treated patients who take just one or two (20mg tablets) a "week" (so thats just one every 3 or 4 days) over longer periods as a maintenance and this dose can work, under correct/balanced situations, with supervision.

Accutane isnt for everyone and is a serious drug but I do feel, If someone decides they are going to start treatment, a low dose can reduce side effects and also allow them to find the right balance for the individual.

Kchambers, anb1094, Hope both your treatments go well....