Notifications
Clear all

Post Accutane - Retin A

MemberMember
(@anamejia21)

Posted : 11/07/2016 3:01 pm

Hey guys! I need some advice or comments on their own experience. I was on accutane for 5 moths and had amazing results! My skin became completely clear and I hadn't had a breakout at all 2 months post accutane. My doc prescribed retin a for me to use to maintain but I didn't start it right away because my skin was so clear and doing great and I was scared it would cause me to breakout. So now I'm about 3 months post accutane and my skin became oily again and i noticed i was getting some black heads. So i began the retin A and now I'm about 1 week and half into it and I'm breaking out all over my forehead and bit on my cheek. They aren't huge cystic pimples or ones that hurt, they're small just red. It's not too terrible but it's just very disheartening and I'm scared it will get worse. For once in my life I had clear skin from accutane.. however I'm thinking this is just an initial breakout from the retin a?

Did any of you experience an initial breakout with retin a AFTER accutane?

and do you recommend I just stick with it? My derm said to keep at it and this is the best decision long term. The breakout is just really getting to me mentally!

MemberMember
(@brokenporecelain)

Posted : 11/09/2016 2:17 am

Accutane should be the end all, honestly I don't think your doc should be prescribing you retin a right out of the gate...usually that's something people try before accutane or for aging.

If the accutane is successful then you should have no use for the retin a.
I had luck with accutane while retin a completely ravaged my skin.
That was over two months ago (after almost 4 years of clear and beautiful skin after accutane) and I'm still up at 2 am crying because I've now become one of the horror stories of retinoids destroying people's skin.
I can only hope that my story ends and does not become a perpetual nightmare like 99% of others.
Take a look at my post "tazorac destroyed my face"
if you want to know more.
Please be careful...and yes retinoids are know to cause breakouts.
I have also broken out like crazy (after years of being clear) from using my retinoid.
Along with various other, worse, complications.