Notifications
Clear all

Is Roaccutane to blame for my boyfriends changing behaviour?

MemberMember
(@laurenmcj)

Posted : 10/24/2016 6:52 am

Hi guys,

Wondering if you can offer some advice. My boyfriend has suffered from acne since being a teenager and has only started taking roaccutane in May of this year. Around the same time he started a new job and his attitude seemed to change around this time. He was always so loving and thoughtful and his personality started to change almost immediately. It started off with him zoning out a lot and being quiet and he would sometimes seem really unresponsive to my touch. I did talk about him when these changes first came about stating my concern at his apathy, blaming it on his job as I didn't want to deter him from taking the medication. However he had noticed the change in himself and recognised the medication was a contributor. 5 months in, he is growing increasingly apathetic then snapping at me and over reacting when me or his friends call him out on his attitude towards me. His job means he is away for days at a time and then he just wants to be on his own and he doesn't seem to be bothered either way if he sees me or not. I guess my question is- could roaccutane be responsible for this? I am trying to be supportive but I have anxiety myself and I'm trying not to talk about it or pressure him but it's getting too much. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lauren

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 10/25/2016 10:11 pm

Accutane is known to effect some people, whether it be depression, anxiety, brain fog, etc. for some it has persisted even after Accutane was discontinued.

Signs and symptoms of depression, as described in the brochure ("Recognizing Psychiatric Disorders in Adolescents and Young Adults"), include sad mood, hopelessness, feelings of guilt, worthlessness or helplessness, loss of pleasure or interest in activities, fatigue, difficulty concentrating, change in sleep pattern, change in weight or appetite, suicidal thoughts or attempts, restlessness, irritability, acting on dangerous impulses, and persistent physical symptoms unresponsive to treatment. Patients should stop Accutane and the patient or a family member should promptly contact their prescriber if the patient develops depression, mood disturbance, psychosis, or aggression, without waiting until the next visit. Discontinuation of Accutane therapy may be insufficient; further evaluation may be necessary

If he is having any of these issues he should contact his doctor.

Hope this helps!