Notifications
Clear all

Low dose Accutane = HOW LONG?!

MemberMember
(@libsy)

Posted : 09/22/2016 6:15 am

So I won't make this too long. I have moderate acne, I was put on 10mg accutane for the first month and 20mg onwards for my acne, following the new regime of giving lower doses to treat the acne better. It is now Month 3 and I have seen varied results.

Positive:
- My chest, back and shoulder acne cleared up within the first month. They were small but still noticable when red and made me very self conscious when wearing low cut tops or open back shirts. Thank you A, for fixing this up. I still get the odd pimple in these places, but its SO much better.
- The area of acne has decreased. Before I went on A, my acne was everywhere on my face - forehead, sides of face, jawline, chin, upper lip, cheeks. Over the three months the area of my acne has become more concentrated in one area of my face rather than everywhere. Everything from my lips upwards, is CLEAR. Thank you A.
- I had no initial breakout. This was probably the aim of putting patients on lower doses; to avoid the IBs. I was still anticipating it, but it didn't come. I've probably dealt with the worst of the breakout in the last 3 weeks tbh.

Negatives:
- Flakiness. The flakiness on my face has hit within the past month and has been so hard to deal with. Its so much harder to cover up and clusters all my pimples in one lump, making it so obvious and painful. Worst part is going to the gym, being a very pale person, my acne goes super red. I have to check between periods at school to see what is flaking on my face, before picking it off. Note, I only pick the flakes off when they are pretty much unattached to my skin. They are mostly caused by the combination of A and makeup.
- PATIENCE. Its such a slow process. Some days I feel like I've made no progress, that I had better skin a year ago. The acne is better and less spread out, but it LOOKS worse because its all inflamed, red, flaky, big and in one place.

I would love to hear from some of you who have been on this lower dose course. I mostly see posts of those who have been on 40mg but I don't think my dose is going to be increased anytime soon, as my my doctor fears it will make it a lot worse. Fair enough, but I would love to know when your skin's future begins to look bright :)))) THANK YOU!

MemberMember
(@happymommy3)

Posted : 09/22/2016 7:05 am

I also started on 10 mg for first couple months & then I was still having some cheek breakouts so I went up to 20mg. I have cleared well on 20mg except one current pimple on my cheek which is monthly one. One pimple opposed to 20 I can take. My derm wants me on it for 14 months total but no talk of increasing dose.

Libsy liked