Notifications
Clear all

TAZORAC .05 DESTROYED MY FACE

MemberMember
(@brokenporecelain)

Posted : 02/25/2017 1:05 pm

5 hours ago, Liz28 said:

Looks like acid burn, can't believe retin a is that strong, this garbage product should be banned.

Are parts of your skin where you didn't use it still the same?

I know! I believe tazorac is the strongest of them all tho...something I was unaware of...

Yea...I'm starting to think acid burn as well...the only thing that deters me from that theory is the fact that I went to a Burn Center when this first happened and they said there was nothing they could do for me.
Theyrecognized the change but told me I should I go back to my dermatologist or get a new one.
And that was even the day that they designatedto chemical burns...it was a scheduled appointment...I would think there was SOMETHING that could have been done...that day I was really swollen too and when they took my picture for recording purposes, I was horrified that I didn't even look like me at all...something was-and is -seriously wrong.
Well I was an idiot and used the treadmill directly after using this stuff the first time plus lightly used a brush in the shower afterward which I never do...that whole day was out of character for me, but I wasn't doing anything harsh or crazy to my knowledge at the time, I was physically gentle as hell....the whole decision to use this stuff (a sample) was pretty calm and casual...I never expected this type of reaction...just boggles my mind.
I don't expect anyone to go back and read my entire thread and the "novel" at the beginning but I mentioned exactly how everything went down there.
I'm sure between the treadmill and the brush..that's how it all just spread around and how it got into my eye area.
Plus the second time I used it, my skin was pretty oily and I didn't know that that was a big no-no when it came to using this stuff...I guess the skin is supposed to be dry/washed, etc, especially since this stuff will travel even where you don't put it, anyway!
The only thing I knew Really was only to use a tiny amount...
So it's basically all over my entire face..but yes, it is worse where I put it directly and where I put it the second time.
And my ears and neck don't even look like they belong in conjunction with my face any longer.
You can see kind of, a messy line of demarcation where the damage stops.
16 hours ago, Runi_Runi said:
17 hours ago, BrokenPorEcelain said:

Accutane sounds so harsh for what you've already been through! But I understand. It be uncomfortable. Do you have a job or do you attend school? Things that you have to look forward to? It's always good to have these things, in case it does end up being permanent.

No, I am home-bound right now.

And actually-for me personally-I think it would only be good to have those things if it is NOT permanent...because if it ends up being permanent, I will not continue on with life. And then all those things will become null and void anyway.

I only looked forward to other things before my skin was ravaged...now I look forward to nothing.
My skin was my best and most precious physical feature and I'm not willing to move on without it.
I've lost enough in my life already.
I don't expect most to understand, but that's just how I am and how things are going to be.
I know accutane is intense but..I think since it works from the inside-out, and my body handles harsh substances internally much better than externally. I don't think it will hurt at a dose of 5mg.
And I should still have time to stop if I see any signs of negative side effects.
It may be my last option.
I will see what this next doctor says...who supposedly-according to my last derm-is "a genius when it comes to this kind of stuff".
I'm trying not to get my hopes up though.
When I had isolated cystic acne about 4-5 years ago, I went on Accutane with a dose of 40mg.
And I didn't have any issues..I oddly didn't even develop dry skin.
I only got chapped lips in the last couple months and somewhat temperamental skin for a couple months post. All temporary and minor.
Ofcourse my skin also wasn't remotely damaged back then and
I was beyond healthy and active while on it though so I'm sure that helped.
And that's a moderate dose..some people take 60, 80, or more.
I believe 20 and below is considered low dose and I've heard of people with rosacea using it to go into a "remission" of sorts...I believe some of my symptoms and damage mimic rosacea too so it may work.
And yes...:/...this is both mentally uncomfortable because of the look and physically uncomfortable because of all the burning, swelling and pulling/numb sensations (and eye issues) as well.
My face feels and looks sick even though the rest of me seems to be acting normally.
It's all localized to where I used the tazorac.
I just want to wake up one day soon with all this madness gone from my face so I can move on.
MemberMember
(@runi_runi)

Posted : 02/27/2017 2:25 pm

You said that most of the stories of retin a damage haven't ended well?? I read that there is improvement after a long time, but it could take multiple years. So you just need to be patient! I think at this point your skin isn't going to heal quickly at all without topicals

MemberMember
(@comfycozy2)

Posted : 03/18/2017 12:01 pm

Hi! I just made this account to rply to this because it seems like I could lend a helping hand, as I also have had damage from retin a and healed it.
Mostly, I mean. I wasn't prescribed it by a derm or anything. I used my mothers without thinking after seeing it could help with acne. My skin also got really sensitive to everything, burned, looked dry and sunken, formed little lines and pore lines everywhere. My forehead got flaky but didn't peel. It looked as though my skin had lost all the water within it. It looked dull some days and red others depending on what I ate or drank. Can I ask what you use on your face now? You may have said it before...but this thread is really long and I may have missed it. Your photos are helpful, but do you have any after photos with flash as was used in your befores? Or photos of your under eyes? The exntent of the damage can be seen under the eyes easily. You mentioned your upper lids are also affected

MemberMember
(@brokenporecelain)

Posted : 03/20/2017 12:27 pm

On March 18, 2017 at 1:01 PM, ComfyCozy2 said:

Hi! I just made this account to rply to this because it seems like I could lend a helping hand, as I also have had damage from retin a and healed it.
Mostly, I mean. I wasn't prescribed it by a derm or anything. I used my mothers without thinking after seeing it could help with acne. My skin also got really sensitive to everything, burned, looked dry and sunken, formed little lines and pore lines everywhere. My forehead got flaky but didn't peel. It looked as though my skin had lost all the water within it. It looked dull some days and red others depending on what I ate or drank. Can I ask what you use on your face now? You may have said it before...but this thread is really long and I may have missed it. Your photos are helpful, but do you have any after photos with flash as was used in your befores? Or photos of your under eyes? The exntent of the damage can be seen under the eyes easily. You mentioned your upper lids are also affected

Hi, thank you so much for making an account to reply to this.
Don't worry about reading my whole thread, I knowit's very Long.
Yea...sounds similar to what I did.
I just had samples lying around that I should not have touched and didn't need. Did not go in for an actual prescription.
I don't think flash was used in any of the photos actually.
Maybe one of the befores but that's about it.
Can I ask what flash would do?
My phone will not take any pics right now. And I'm not sure I want to post anymore as I feel increasingly worse about this. Seeing it over and over again in pics makes me realize just how bad it really is. And how it's not getting any better.
Maybe I can find some of my eyes tho, for the most part, I've been trying to hide my eyes because of identity/privacy issue...
Did you have any issues near you eye area as well? Or no?
I can describe it for you.
The area between my eyebrows and upper eyelids is very shiny, saggy, and "ridged", it swells and pushes over my eyelids and then when it's not swollen, it will be very limp and easily malleable, won't bounce back and folds in odd ways.
And the skin on my actual eyelids is very lax and bunching up, not smooth and flat anymore. Same sheen the rest of my skin has.(Unless a fine powderiness builds up over the shininess from not washing my face.)
Under my eyes looks like someone took their fingers and pushed in and stretched downward. And the skin there is now very weak, seemingly thinner, and crinkles in a ton of lines, especially when moving my face. Thai happens on the tops of my cheeks too and pretty much everywhere. Forehead is especially bad off.
My whole face seems to have some type of swelling under the surface because I don't even look like me anymore and I just look sick and old..some things that are going on seem to be more than just the surface of the skin. Either that, or the severity of the surface is causing an optical illusion that there are deeper tissue issues.
I don't think that's the case tho because I can feel the new depth under my eyes and the swelling and pressure in my face.
It is extremely uncomfortable.
All my skin is basically the same but I think since the eye area is thinner anyway, it's issues take on a more worrying appearance and feeling.
All my skin is VERYporous, with microwrinkles /ridges lining it, reddish-yellow tinged and dull looking, it seems like it should have peeled Aton but never has..it's like it stopped functioning altogether. It looks rough but is actually very weak and "mushy"/raised on some areas and deflated in others. Sometimes the surface of it almost seems "fibrotic".
It's very hard to describe because it just not normal.
I don't even understand what it is I'm seeing and feeling because I've never dealt with anything remotely like it and also never met anyone who has until I wrote my story and reached out to others with retinoid damage or they reached out to me.
even the last derm I went to had trouble describing it.
So far I've taken doxycycline and then cephalexin, used low percentage hydrocortisone cream for about 8 days once a day when this first happened, tried aloe and vitamin e once which just made things worse, used moisturizers like cerave pm, cerave regular, vanicream lotion and cream, hylatopic plus, and washed with cerave hydrating cleanser. Basically since the end of September I've been barely washing my face at all, and just using cerave cleanser when I do. Trying to moisturize but it either makes my skin worse or just sits there.
Trying not to mess with my skin too much.
I also try to sleep with a humidifier but I can't have it in my actual room since I have a lot of temperamental and easily water damageable items in there...so I can't sleep with it every night and will sleep on a mattress in my brothers old room. Seems to make otherparts of my body, like hands, nice and healthy looking but my face is unaffected.
It truly is like it has stopped responding altogether. Feels "dead" to the world. Unless I touch it too much and it becomes redder.
I'm very sorry something similar happened to you...but so glad you healed it, could you tell me more about our experience, time-line, and products you used??
did you visit any doctors during that time?
(Curious as to what your mom said about the issues as well!)
MemberMember
(@confused96)

Posted : 03/22/2017 2:41 pm

Hey i'm praying for you!! When's your next appointment??

MemberMember
(@comfycozy2)

Posted : 04/18/2017 5:12 pm

On 4/15/2017 at 0:38 PM, MeteoricAtom said:

Hey so I have dealt with the same issues for a few years (not to scare you) after leaving a face mask on for wayyy to long and I took it off and looked like a aged 20 years not kidding. My skin was tight and awful and my acne got worse. I tried soooo many things but after a long time I realized my acid mantle was stripped and that's why our skin looks like this. I highly recommend you try nothing but if you heal your skin barrier your skin will look better. Basically no water, cleaners, moisturizers, no hot showers nothing(even hot shower steam ruins skin barrier) If you want to wash your hair do it in a cool bathtub. Try this for a few months. I've done this for almost a month so far and my skin is so much better it's less red and less tight. I'm with you on this journey and I know it Can heal. I have been depressed about mine too but I have also kept pushing through it and graduated college and got an awesome job and have had 2 long term relationship throughout it with guys who adored me and thought I was beautiful despite my skin. I truley believe the do nothing to your skin will help us both, look up the caveman regimen. Also no showering she says too because of the steam. Let me know how it works for you:)

Wow what kind of face mask? Did it have acids in it?
I'm so happy you had good relationships! I've found that despite my skin, people love me just the same when I'm being happy and myself :]. I may hate my skin, but I've never been rejected. So maybe people don't notice skin so much after all (although i'd say all of us here look a little closer than most, haha). Whenever I mention hating my skin my boyfriend (who has beautiful, freckled, poreless skin. it just gets a little dry sometimes) looks at my face confused and says "i don't understand? your skin is way better than mine. I get these dry spots". I can't even believe it when i hear it! I know our self worth shouldn't reside in how others see us, but it certainly helps to know something that makes you feel awful may not be noticeable to others.
I tried to caveman thing and it ended up not being for me.

I do wish I could stand cold showers though. It seems better for your skin but i'm a wimp lol

MemberMember
(@brokenporecelain)

Posted : 04/18/2017 7:43 pm

@ComfyCozy2  @MeteoricAtom

I do not desire relationships, a job, career, what have you.
I just want to be myself, inside and OUT. Above all else.
I do not want ANYTHING "despite" my skin. 
I just want MY SKIN.,, back to the way it was. 
Perhaps you two are highly attractive even besides your skin.
Plenty of people are. 
and plenty of people are not.
I have enough other flaws, loss of years, and have had enough terrible things happen to me in my young lifetime to grow from and to get me through the dark side of living...my skin (and basically my whole face as it stands right now) need not be added to that list.
...cannot be.

Besides that, I do not have to do much more than walk past a mirror several feet away, to see what's wrong. I dont have to look closely at all. Before, I could stare into magnifying mirrors and still see nothing wrong.  I also seem to have more symptoms than most people dealing with this. Both visually and sensation wise. I'm not sure exactly why that is.
I have tried leaving my skin completely alone and it did nothing.
Will be 8 months by the End of April. 
Things seem to slowly get worse.

Bottom line is, I am not myself without my skin, and never will be. It's not the only important thing obviously...but it's TOO vital and important to ME to go on living without it. That FACT will NEVER change.

Im very tired..not sure how much longer I can stand this...im trying to stay off the Internet too as I am tired of this disaster (plus my EYES) and tired of repeating myself...thank you everyone for trying to help but can we please keep the conversation to positivity about physically healing and NOT positivity about NOT healing. Or being "okay" with this terrifying damage.
It might be hard for some people to understand...but the latter thought process is very Exhausting and painful to read. And actually only zaps my hopes closer to depletion. 

MA, I would also like to know what mask you used as that sounds really  dreadful and insane to happen from 
such a thing...tho nothing much surprises me anymore :/

CC2, I read your private message that you took the time to write me (thank you) but had to stop once you mentioned the dermarolling (or was it pen or stamping?)...either way I will never go that route...too much research and anecdotes I've found are against it...plus my own gut feeling...which I will never dismiss Ever again

To others following, many appointments have had to be postponed due to my ride and also the need to go to them in a certain order which would allow me to rule out underlying problems before going to more dermatologists(already been to so many)...will hopefully update soon...(wanted to say more but this site is painfully laggy on mobile!)

MemberMember
(@comfycozy2)

Posted : 04/18/2017 9:03 pm

I don't believe you should ignore the rest of the information because you do not agree with one aspect, but that's your choice.

Can you show me the information you've found against it?

I've only seen negative things about the dermapen, with scientific evidence that it causes microtears. These do not happen with a roller (but you should buy them from a reputable place that will not send you one with any bent needles). Or better, a stamp. Which is unable to create tears unless for some crazy reason you pulled it across your face.
I wouldn't have started if I didn't do extensive scientific research on it. I'm a science major. Reading peer edited research journals and such, many of them done in the US, south korea, Japan, and France. Places of skincare expertise with different opinions on what is best, and have read positive things from all.
Including a 250+ long thread that started in 2008 where women started rolling (and many doing it incorrectly!) and actually got to study their progress. I have screenshots of the best success stories. And I know mine, and my mothers. One woman had damage from retin A, IPL, and peels (original issues was retin a, but god knows those other things made it worse!!) and says 80% of her damage is gone. I'd be happy to show you if interested. She had the same problem as you actually! But worse, she said she'd get scars if she just scratched! The roller rethickens skin with collagen.
I'm only explaining because I saw so much positive evidence that it was one of the only things to heal me that it gave me so much hope, without it being in vain.

I spent my derm $$ on good, healthy products with ceramides and lipids and self treatments. There isn't a derm out there that has a magic solution for surface damage that isn't healing itself.

Also anyone viewing, feel free to PM if you have questions about my routine. Along with the rolling, I started using a single needle and rid myself of at least 5 ice pick scars to the point that they aren't really noticeable now (I still have 2 stubborn ones, unfortunately. But I don't expect perfection)

MemberMember
(@brokenporecelain)

Posted : 04/19/2017 12:50 am

On 4/19/2017 at 8:03 AM, ComfyCozy2 said:

I don't believe you should ignore the rest of the information because you do not agree with one aspect, but that's your choice.

Can you show me the information you've found against it?

I've only seen negative things about the dermapen, with scientific evidence that it causes microtears. These do not happen with a roller (but you should buy them from a reputable place that will not send you one with any bent needles). Or better, a stamp. Which is unable to create tears unless for some crazy reason you pulled it across your face.
I wouldn't have started if I didn't do extensive scientific research on it. I'm a science major. Reading peer edited research journals and such, many of them done in the US, south korea, Japan, and France. Places of skincare expertise with different opinions on what is best, and have read positive things from all.
Including a 250+ long thread that started in 2008 where women started rolling (and many doing it incorrectly!) and actually got to study their progress. I have screenshots of the best success stories. And I know mine, and my mothers. One woman had damage from retin A, IPL, and peels (original issues was retin a, but god knows those other things made it worse!!) and says 80% of her damage is gone. I'd be happy to show you if interested. She had the same problem as you actually! But worse, she said she'd get scars if she just scratched! The roller rethickens skin with collagen.
I'm only explaining because I saw so much positive evidence that it was one of the only things to heal me that it gave me so much hope, without it being in vain.

I spent my derm $$ on good, healthy products with ceramides and lipids and self treatments. There isn't a derm out there that has a magic solution for surface damage that isn't healing itself.

Also anyone viewing, feel free to PM if you have questions about my routine. Along with the rolling, I started using a single needle and rid myself of at least 5 ice pick scars to the point that they aren't really noticeable now (I still have 2 stubborn ones, unfortunately. But I don't expect perfection)

I assure you, I did not ignore the rest of the information. That's not what I meant by "stop".

I'm not trying to get rid of individual scars, I'm trying to get rid of every square millimeter of what my facial skin is now. I've seen damage done purely from only dermarolling (as well as the stamp and pen...yes). I've spoken to people who tried it for this issue and said it was the worst mistake they ever made in trying to heal this. And 80% isn't good enough, I need my skin 95-100 percent back to what it was.

I didn't sign up for this **** show. I literally used a cream TWICE. Either I heal all the way or I don't heal at all.
My skin was my best and most precious feature.
I did way too much to keep it that way for so long for one little mistake to ruin it all.
And I will never make a similar mistake again...if my skin couldn't even handle two uses of a retinoid, it surely will not be able to handle a rolling wheel with needles covering it. I've used this comparison before but That would be like taking a weed wacker to jello. Even though my skin looks rough, it is incredibly fragile and gelatinous, weak, the surface seems unaturally thin and crinkly/lined/porous/ashy/discolored while underneath feels lumpy and mushy and no longer flat. Like there is edema or swelling...inflammation is still very much present...as well as sagging. I would have to roll the thing over my eyelids as well if that was the option I took. My issues are not just visually disturbing but it FEELS incredibly uncomfortable as well. And I don't just mean burning or stinging.
I mean Numbness and an "sleep feeling", pulling sensations, inability to fully close my eyes at night, it feels like there is "cotton" in my eyelids and the area above them (I'm guessing this means inflammation or I'm just feeling the skin now sagging over my eyes..who knows)...my face feels completely "dead" and is not functioning normally whatsoever. I don't even seem to be producing any oil..my skin only looks shiny sometimes from moisturizer or the weird gel-cellophane-shiny unnatural top layer of skin. I don't want to damage my pores further with a dermaroller...I feel as though perhaps I scorched the inside of them, like the acid burned the inner walls orsomething..idk...point is, if any of thiscan resolve on its own, I don't want to impede on that possibility. Esp with a roller.
I do not think that kind of manual disturbance will be handled very well with the state my skin is in now. If my skin couldn't heal properly from one harsh external method, then chances are it will act no differently towards another.
I do not think it wise to advocate the dermaroller to people in general, nevermind people dealing with this issue.
I'm glad it's working for you, but I wish not to promote it on my own thread.
Feel free to offer your views and experience to others elsewhere.
Though, I do agree with other things you told me, like cleaning up one's diet and lifestyle...and I have also started taking the high dose of vitamin C.
Internally...I know my skin can't handle vit c externally, I tried it in products even before this happened, when my skin was healthy and good, and it burned me.
I also think that my intense initial burning from the tazorac may have caused nerve damage or something and I'm not sure I would even be able to tell if more damage was being done from things like Vit c, I don't know if I would get the full feeling that would tell me something was wrong.
Plus..to further add to what I was saying before.. you also told me that your skin wasn't like mine to begin with and and that you are not completely healed yet, so it's not comparable. (I HAVE to take this into account as I must be very careful with how I move forward). I have also seen no pictures of healing.
Sometimes I see pics where people say they've healed and it literally looks NO different. And a lot of people who have told me they healed...end up letting it slip to me later..that no they did not heal, but are "healing"...which is just mentally exhausting to read...to converse with them for so long with high spirits...and then slowly the more information they give...the more I realize I had no reason for feeling I had gained a vicarious happy ending. (And If anyone is reading this, please..even if you feel bad and want to help..please be straight up about that kind of thing, I'd rather hear the hard truth about not healing...Ive already heard it so many times before so what's once more...at the very least, I don't want false hope.)
I think you should start a thread of your own, and if you don't want to use your own pictures, you should copy n paste the posts you spoke of and also the ones you told me about in pm.
And links to those who have had success with the dermaroller.
I would honestly read it and take a look but I don't feel comfortable having it all HERE.
I mean...there are plenty of research articles and anecdotes and experiences with retin a that solidifies it as a miracle and the "only thing that works" for this that or the other thing, as well...but we both know that's not the case.
I related with so much of what you said to me in your pm, but certain parts of your method of healing and your starting point are not in unison with my own starting point and research/beliefs on getting back to that starting point (and for good reason).
You also said you are going to do all you are doing, including the dermarolling, for the rest of your life...? (Pm) I would think, if it was truly working and healed your skin, you wouldn't have to do that.
If the skin needs constant Stimulation from a "torture device" to get it to look half way decent, then that's a problem in of itself, don't you think?
As far as my own stuff I've found and people I've spoken too...they are way too numerous and spread out through my bookmarks, website saves/watched, emails, messages, and mostly tucked away in the corners of my mind, to go back and find all of them, esp word for word, again, for one person. (I'm surprised you have not found anything negative as
most people I speak to about this, come across what I have, fairly early inTheir panicked research).
But even a quick Google search of "dermarolling ruined my skin" should shed enough light on the subject.
Ofcourse, we don't look up the negative usually, until it happens to us, directly. God knows, I never saw/heard/read a bad word about retin-a/retinoids until I had my own personal disaster zone to trek across. Then suddenly the abyss of endless online horror stories opened up itsarms to me.
(Oh to answeranother part of your pmto me...yes I haveposted and searched Reddit's [removed] sub..probablyto the point of Becominga nuisance. Also have combed through RealSelf, [removed], [removed], web md and similar "ask a doctor" sites and countless other websites...literally every corner of the Internet has been raked through...I'm now coming acrossthe same sites and posts I've already visited...truly circling now,..literally searching 12+ hrs a day, since this happened...just imagine how much that is..I need to stop actually)
//
Within the next few days, I wish to take a break from the online hell hole of despair for this issue,
I wanted to do it months ago, but couldn't find myself able to. ( user SaraRey, who was lost to this issue, wanted to do the same...I think it's a good idea at this point...I'm almost 8 months post using this stuff and I believe I'm just running in circles online at this point...I've read all there is to read unless something new pops up).
I will be back, to those who have messaged me, who want to know how future appointments go, etc. (I know there's alot of people I have continuedto put off getting back to...I am very sorry. )
I kind of want to take at least a one month break from even being on any of my devices since this stuff has affected my eyes as well.
Feel free to message me or post (hopefully good news!) in the meantime.
Thanks to all who have replied so far, even if I have disagreed with you.
Thx guys...good luck to anyone else dealing with this...please be careful...I think I mostly agree with the "do nothing" route or do "basically nothing"/be VERYgentle/moisturize/be healthy method...for now.
MemberMember
(@comfycozy2)

Posted : 04/19/2017 8:54 pm

*I mentioned individual scars because this is an acne forum, and someone may pass by that finds my success in that department helpful.*

I have done research on complaints. Ive only seen damage done by a derma pen that was not the fault of the user (as bad results from the roller have commonly been because of the user)since it in an in office deem treatment. Even when I google "dermaroller ruined my skin", success stories still pop up. I dont see much that alarms me. But there were posts that included some who seem to be damaged by their roller. You have to look at why. One poster says a they used a 3mm roller- I have never heard of anyone using such a large needle, even on stretch marks. 1.5mm is the largest you should go for the face (the dermis isonly 1.5 mm deep...)Another person was rolling every other day, alternating 1.5mm and .5 which is insane. This inhibits any collagen from forming and instead causes a lot of TEWL and scar tissue since the collagen is constantly being destroyed. You should wait 6-8 weeks in between 1.5mm sessions.Im seeing a lot of mistakes on the part of the person rolling-Including poor topical choice, incorrect needle length, using the derma pen (which WILL cause micro tears), over using the roller, and poor sanitation. One HAS to lift the roller after each pass, as opposed to back and forth, otherwise it can be a problem. It all sounds like a lot, but it really isnt if you research correctly. Just read another where someone applied retina a afterwards and that sounds like a nightmare. Another guy had slight redness for a couple days (normal) and decided to do multiplerounds of IPL after his treatmenthis post was against the roller but the culprit is obviously the IPL (which he realizes later if you search his username). I could go on. Any at home treatment can cause damage if the user has not researched how to properly use it (as we both know). And while ANYONE can have a bad reaction to any kind of topical, the roller is not a topical and is not powered by anything other than your own hand. Topical reactions/chemical burns aren't in the same category as collagen induction therapy. Besides the scientific research, I read tons of success stories and thats what ultimately got me to try it. All in all, I did read a lot of negatives on this search.I went through about 50+ posts and comments where there were complaints, and 99% were because of misuse. And then there were success stories peppered in by people using them impressively well.

I dont think its wise to disregard advice where healing is actually taking place because they are not 100% healed and dont have a miracle remedy for you. Or to interrogate people until they slip up. There is no treatment that you can ingest or put on your face that will immediately heal it.Healingtakes years and during those years, your skin is aging. So your skin will likely not be exactly what it was before. The damage was possibly this bad because a bit of aging and hormonal changes started to happen already (23-26 is a time of hormonal shift, a lot of women experience changes in sensitivity or changes in acne during this time. Also body hair and skin texture changes, sometimes PIH). Shutting down others in healingbecause they aren't at a healing point to be of use to you is lame. Or others who found happiness despite their skin and are telling their story or viewpoint.

I am going to continue what I am doing for the rest of my life because everyone ages, and I am much healthier now.It would be silly of me to abandon my healthy diet just because I achieve the results I wanted, or my skincare routine that works and makes me feel nice because my skin is normal now. Why would I stop? It will always benefit me, and may stave off some aging. Everyone needs a good skincare routine at some point. After 25, your skin starts producing collagen slower and slows down every year after that. My continuation of the roller will only be for upkeep as far as future wrinkles are concerned, and I'll probably do it less frequently once I get to where I want to be. Maybe even get rid of some acne scars while I'm at it. I live in a dry state as well, so hydrating skincare is a must, and Ill enjoy my hydrating skincare forever.

Good luck to you, though it seems that 8 months of no improvement may signal that the caveman routine i.e. do nothing isnt working and you need a multistep barrier repair routine. I hope you can find something else in life other than having perfect skin.

MemberMember
(@meteoricatom)

Posted : 04/19/2017 9:20 pm

My apologies I didn't mean to make you upset by saying that just offer some hope to you. I used the Aztec clay healing mask. Never use that it will suck all the water out of your skin. Anyways i will pray for you and healing. I promise I will be back to post if/when the caveman fully heals me.

MemberMember
(@comfycozy2)

Posted : 04/19/2017 9:47 pm

25 minutes ago, MeteoricAtom said:

My apologies I didn't mean to make you upset by saying that just offer some hope to you. I used the Aztec clay healing mask. Never use that it will suck all the water out of your skin. Anyways i will pray for you and healing. I promise I will be back to post if/when the caveman fully heals me.

You shouldn't have to be sorry. I'm so surprised that it was just the aztec clay that caused that! I wonder if maybe your skin also had a reaction to a mineral within it. <3 I'm happy that you're still happy though. Good luck with your future healing

MemberMember
(@meteoricatom)

Posted : 05/22/2017 9:32 pm

Hey okay so look into urea! It helps your skin bind onto water again. Look up eucerin urea 5% face cream, I bought it off amazon from the U.K. I believe. Out of 5 years that is what helped me the most instantly!! Like it's crazy! It helps fix dehydrated skin. Look it up please! It has urea and a small amount of lactic acid. Don't go above 5% urea for your face so I really recommend that kind. Please let me know if that works for you too. I can relate to you so much and swore I would tell you if I found something that helped me! My skin texture is better and the helps with the redness. I've only been using it a few days, will report back with more results:)

also helps with with the tightfeeling and read that it doesn't just coversymptoms like other moisturizers it it's actually gets your cells to wake up and hold water

MemberMember
(@h4nnz)

Posted : 05/24/2017 4:21 am

On 23/05/2017 at 3:32 AM, MeteoricAtom said:

Hey okay so look into urea! It helps your skin bind onto water again. Look up eucerin urea 5% face cream, I bought it off amazon from the U.K. I believe. Out of 5 years that is what helped me the most instantly!! Like it's crazy! It helps fix dehydrated skin. Look it up please! It has urea and a small amount of lactic acid. Don't go above 5% urea for your face so I really recommend that kind. Please let me know if that works for you too. I can relate to you so much and swore I would tell you if I found something that helped me! My skin texture is better and the helps with the redness. I've only been using it a few days, will report back with more results:)

also helps with with the tightfeeling and read that it doesn't just coversymptoms like other moisturizers it it's actually gets your cells to wake up and hold water

Is this stuff okay to use even if you don't really have dry skin? My skin texture is appalling, I made a post about it on here which you may have seen (photos attached)

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/365823-orange-peel-skin-disaster-w-pictures/?page=1

as myself and @BrokenPorEcelainhave been dealing with the same issue.

Thankyou!

MemberMember
(@brokenporecelain)

Posted : 06/28/2017 3:21 am

On 4/19/2017 at 9:54 PM, ComfyCozy2 said:

*I mentioned individual scars because this is an acne forum, and someone may pass by that finds my success in that department helpful.*

I have done research on complaints. Ive only seen damage done by a derma pen that was not the fault of the user (as bad results from the roller have commonly been because of the user)since it in an in office deem treatment. Even when I google "dermaroller ruined my skin", success stories still pop up. I dont see much that alarms me. But there were posts that included some who seem to be damaged by their roller. You have to look at why. One poster says a they used a 3mm roller- I have never heard of anyone using such a large needle, even on stretch marks. 1.5mm is the largest you should go for the face (the dermis isonly 1.5 mm deep...)Another person was rolling every other day, alternating 1.5mm and .5 which is insane. This inhibits any collagen from forming and instead causes a lot of TEWL and scar tissue since the collagen is constantly being destroyed. You should wait 6-8 weeks in between 1.5mm sessions.Im seeing a lot of mistakes on the part of the person rolling-Including poor topical choice, incorrect needle length, using the derma pen (which WILL cause micro tears), over using the roller, and poor sanitation. One HAS to lift the roller after each pass, as opposed to back and forth, otherwise it can be a problem. It all sounds like a lot, but it really isnt if you research correctly. Just read another where someone applied retina a afterwards and that sounds like a nightmare. Another guy had slight redness for a couple days (normal) and decided to do multiplerounds of IPL after his treatmenthis post was against the roller but the culprit is obviously the IPL (which he realizes later if you search his username). I could go on. Any at home treatment can cause damage if the user has not researched how to properly use it (as we both know). And while ANYONE can have a bad reaction to any kind of topical, the roller is not a topical and is not powered by anything other than your own hand. Topical reactions/chemical burns aren't in the same category as collagen induction therapy. Besides the scientific research, I read tons of success stories and thats what ultimately got me to try it. All in all, I did read a lot of negatives on this search.I went through about 50+ posts and comments where there were complaints, and 99% were because of misuse. And then there were success stories peppered in by people using them impressively well.

I dont think its wise to disregard advice where healing is actually taking place because they are not 100% healed and dont have a miracle remedy for you. Or to interrogate people until they slip up. There is no treatment that you can ingest or put on your face that will immediately heal it.Healingtakes years and during those years, your skin is aging. So your skin will likely not be exactly what it was before. The damage was possibly this bad because a bit of aging and hormonal changes started to happen already (23-26 is a time of hormonal shift, a lot of women experience changes in sensitivity or changes in acne during this time. Also body hair and skin texture changes, sometimes PIH). Shutting down others in healingbecause they aren't at a healing point to be of use to you is lame. Or others who found happiness despite their skin and are telling their story or viewpoint.

I am going to continue what I am doing for the rest of my life because everyone ages, and I am much healthier now.It would be silly of me to abandon my healthy diet just because I achieve the results I wanted, or my skincare routine that works and makes me feel nice because my skin is normal now. Why would I stop? It will always benefit me, and may stave off some aging. Everyone needs a good skincare routine at some point. After 25, your skin starts producing collagen slower and slows down every year after that. My continuation of the roller will only be for upkeep as far as future wrinkles are concerned, and I'll probably do it less frequently once I get to where I want to be. Maybe even get rid of some acne scars while I'm at it. I live in a dry state as well, so hydrating skincare is a must, and Ill enjoy my hydrating skincare forever.

Good luck to you, though it seems that 8 months of no improvement may signal that the caveman routine i.e. do nothing isnt working and you need a multistep barrier repair routine. I hope you can find something else in life other than having perfect skin.

I can't help but discern that you arebeing somewhatpassive aggressively condescending and judgmental with your comments. Especially the last one.
Very very hurtful. I asked you kindly to please stop.
I really should not have to come back on my own thread and start crying.
I had staved that off for a few weeks...but I guess that's my own fault for being so sensitive, huh? I guess I'm being passive aggressive too now..oh well.
I said time and time again that my skin isn't the only important thing to me...I said it's ONE of the important things that I wouldn't want to live without. I made things painfully clear.
It's fine to have an opinion about your own view of yourself but don't tell me how I should feel about myself.
Don't hope that I become a different person or more like you. Which you alluded to.
Don't hope that I find something else in life other than my skin. Which you said verbatim.
Thats a waste of your time and offensive to me. It over simplifies ME, as a human being, and my situation...as well as the very time and thought I put into my responses to you.
Your other comments already addressed how attractive people find you to be in other areas besides your skin.
Well good for you, no wonder you aren't as concerned.
I am not you.
You are not me.
What's your favorite feature?
How about I take that away from you?
How would you feel?
Also my skin was not perfect, near perfect, but not perfect. You are rounding off what I've said as if it is a multi decimal math solution.
I will not do any of the procedure-type things you mentioned...I'm sure I wouldn't do it perfectly and then I'd be blamed for making things worse.
If it works for you, ofcourse you can keep doing it.
No one is stopping you but I don't think it's smart to advocate for it.
I really don't.
The likelihood of someone being so precise for so long and never slipping up are slim to none.
And honestly, well functioning, fully healed, healthy skin, shouldn't need so much further manipulation.
I'm sick of the aging bullshit too. And the mid 20's circlejerk being made in the pseudo-doctorate degree type manner.
If I was 18, you'd probably change those numbers to include me. I'm not saying there is no truth to it but I know plenty of people whose skin looks the same in their late teens-early 20's as it does in their 30's, & so on.
And there are people with similar damage to me who are as young as mid-teens.
My skin was in such good condition that I was set up to not have to worry about that for much longer than even what is typical.
If my skin fully heals, it should look no different than it did a year ago. Not to the naked eye.
Unless this drags out until I'm ancient.
2 years tho, give or take..no.
I strongly disagree.
(I also got my hormones checked and they are normal...no changes...the rest of my body has not changed.)
,...Obviously no immediate healing is being had but from two uses of a cream, this is batshit crazy long. Still not long enough for 'natural' agingto catch up with me tho.
And I'm not disregarding your advice because it's not a miracle instant cure or because it didn't heal people 100%...I am disregarding it (for myself) because it is extremely RISKY. And I'm not in the position to be taking anymore risks or trusting my unsteady hand at something that needs flawless application.
There are people who also used retin a perfectly as directed as their doctors and still got damaged.
You say it's not the same thing...but I believe both can still have the same outcome.
And what then?
Someone will just say you are the minority, the unlucky one, "too bad for you"...and I'll be no better off than now.
And I am NOT shutting down others in healing.
Holy mother of god, NO WAY.
I have explicitly stated as much.
I HAVE been so forward in isolating myself on my own thread to ensure that people understand that this is me, my face, my skin, and my opinions and If I fall down the black hole- if it doesn't reverse back to normal-Iexpect NOONE to follow me.
And I didn't shut down your stories of happiness, but you are disrespecting my own pursuit of happiness just because it seems pitiful to you.
The only thing I did was define the fact that what makes you happy will not make me happy and you may have other aspects about you that you deem good enough to outweigh your skin..but it doesn't mean I do. So all of that IS INDEED not helpful to me.
That's a damn fact.
I even told you to start your own thread for people it may actually be helpful to!!
There's plenty of room for you on this website, you don't have to hijack my thread.
You are even low key soliciting people in your other response...by opening your private message box...which is basically subtext for "OP is wrong, I am right...follow me kids!!"
If I really wanted to shut someone down, you'd know it. And I'd be straightforward about it.
Speaking of which,
You said you'd never been rejected by a guy ("anyone" were your exact words).
Even though you did back track a littleon that comment...I'd still like to know...
Why is basing your worth and self esteem on being rejected or accepted by men any better-if not worse-than me putting so much weight in my skin/face...??
Does that really make sense to you??
If you really believe that's better then I guess I can't say *. But personally, I sure wouldn't want to live my life at other people's mercy and wait for compliments or a boyfriend to make myself feel better or make life worth living.
If I'm not good in my own eyes, then everything else is a moot point as far as I'm concerned.
Never told you to abandon your healthy diet either...I pointed that out specifically as something I agreed with completely.
I swear I don't think you even really read what I said.
Ive got to start keeping count of the times I've had to rephrase and repeat myself.
It's Interesting that you say everyone ages and also, in the same breath, say that you feel your skin routine will stave off aging...how are you so sure that something so fickle won't go wrong in the future??
Also...have you read my thread?? I am the queen of protecting and preventing and being a health nut...albeit all in a GENTLE way.
Look where that got me. One little mistake and BAM, I'm fed.
Everything I've done that seemed excessively cautious to others reaped its rewards in my skin and other areas and two uses of a cream took that all away and THEN SOME.
If a year or two of "aging" really changes a person so much, and affects the way they react to things...according to you...then why would Yoube immune to the same sentiment??
Why aren't you worried about that??
Why is it wrong for me to be worried??
Also...
I HAD a skincare routine, mind you.
It was simple and it was working.
and the people I know of with the best skin are the people who do just that, all their lives.
I mean how many times have you heard someone say "oh HER?? Yea she swears by coldcream..that's all she ever uses"...a lot of people's skin are best not tampered with too much.
And I don't think your routine is the normal skin routine people talk about when they abide by the "everyone needs a good skin routine eventually" notion.
If it works for you that's great..but i'd bet my own healing on it not going down so well for the majority of others.
Especially people already damaged by something other people get away unscathed by.
I changed my routine to using just regular cerave moisturizer on damp skin, then olive oil, and cover it in aquaphor.
I'm just keeping things hydrated and protected right now.
I'm afraid the olive oil will cause more break outs but I figure my barrier is without moisture and oil and I need to supplement both for now.
I also have my eye area to worry about and there's not a whole lot I can use everywhere as well as there.
Also someone telling me they fully healed and then later telling me they didn't actually heal or fully heal isn't my fault.
If someone is being honest they shouldn't have to worry about "slipping up".
And I shouldn't be vilified for being worried about someone giving me false hope.
I'm not interrogating anyone..if someone feels interrogated by ME then they obviously have something to hide.
If they got caught up in trying to help me and omitted something or just needed someone to talk to to not feel alone then that's okay.
Happens to the best of people.
Can't say I'm immune to that myself.
I understand.
But it doesn't make me feel any better afterwards.
I wanted to make an official update but I am too upset and angry and I wish I didn't even have to come on this site and deal with people but I know some are really hurting like I am or genuinely trying to help the skin issue and I don't want them to think I just fell off the face of the earth (especially when I said I was only going to be gone for May)...or what they are feeling is excessive or wrong.
Don't let anyone ever measure how you feel about something.
This in particular is not f***ing okay and it never will be.
I am really sorry I have to reply to someone in such a way..esp a person whom told me they actually came on this site for the sole reason of seeing my issue and wanting to help me...physically.
And then just because I disagreed with their methods, began to take a few hits on who I am, and where my priorities should be...
talk about "lame".
Again just to clarify...I've got plenty of other things that are important to me...but that doesn't make my skin any less so.
This is a goddamn skin-centric site.
If I wanted a therapist, I'd get one.
Not come here and secretly hope for a little armchair psychology.
Why is that so hard to understand??
And if anyone thinks my response is excessive...well damn right it is. (And I read between the lines.)
That's what happens when people get stuck in a situation like this and are forced to come to forums lest they miss their saving-grace..unfortunately no place is exactly a haven filled with fully understanding, like-minded people.
But a Little more respect and a little less patronization sure would be nice.
And also, I for one, appreciate @MeteoricAtom's apology although I agree, they didn't have to apologize...and I feel bad in return for making them feel bad about making me feel bad (mouthful)...it was a simple act of making their intentions clear while still showing respect for how I feel and I am grateful.
Thank you @MeteoricAtom ...
(Also for your second message about the urea!!)
And in case anyone hasn't noticed...no I'm not healed.
I'm kind of worse off than ever.
(10 months past now.)
But I'm still trying and I did have some updates about some bloodwork and more appointments that I will get to soon.
Hang in there, everyone.
H4nnz and Yola4 liked
MemberMember
(@yola4)

Posted : 06/28/2017 10:32 am

Well I guess I'll come out of the shadows. I've been talking to BrokenPorecelin for a little while now regarding what Retin A did to my skin. I joined this site last year with nothing but good intentions of helping others dealing with acne and it's awful aftermath. My skin was clear and almost blemish free. Now, months later...after first using Skinceuticals retinol .05% for a month then switching over to Retin A .05% for an additional month my skin is unrecognizable. My face is inflamed and my pores are blown open and are "playing connect the dots" forming lines everywhere. My skin is not only dry looking but also dehydrated looking despite the fact that I drink a gallon of water daily. The worst part about this is the dents, cracks, and pockmarks that showed up overnight...In areas where I never had acne. And to add to this, my chin acne has come back with a vengeance due to stress. I really thought I was at a good point with my skin after fighting w/pustular acne for years.
Anyway, I understand where you guys are coming from (H4nnz and BrokenPorecelin and anyone else out there struggling with this issue and your skin changing almost overnight). I think the only thing we can do is help each other move forward and heal, make sure others are aware of the possible negative reactions, and bounce ideas off of each other. Fingers crossed we all come out out of this unscathed.

ETA: yes, H4nnz urea is a good skin ingredient. If you go to nakedchemist site she talks about it and other ingredients for healing damaged/inflamed skin barriers.

MemberMember
(@comfycozy2)

Posted : 06/30/2017 2:25 pm

Youve been very intense and rude to multiple posters. Im sorry this happened to you and that youre suffering greatly, but others saying that they are healed (maybe not even saying 100%)and you pointing a finger at them ISlame. Nobody is trying to hide anything or trick you. What would anyone gain from that? No one is suggesting that you become more like them. Theyre stating their experiences to hopefully be relatable.

My comments were not to statethat I am universally found to be attractive. My negative feelings about my own skin bothered mefor a long time, despite evidence that it just wasnt as important as I internally made it. It was something I magnified, butgood or bad, went unnoticed by others. I was good at hiding my insecurities when I forced myself into pubic, and realized I was liked most for who I am and not my appearance (especially one feature such as skin). It is also how I react to others, and rarely notice flaws until pointed out by them. This is a common subject on this site, and Ive read others have similar revelations about their skin and scarring, which is nice and encouraging. I said I have never been rejected, meaning bypeople in general. Not romantically. I didn't say by "anyone", at any point. I'm not sure where those "exact words" came from. People have not rejected/critiquedme sociallybecause of how my skin texture appears or scarring. I mentioned my partner (as did another poster) because he getsthe closest to my face. If he doesnt notice, most people wont.Ive felt better seeing other people mention their similar experiences. Its normal for those with scars or damage to fear rejection socially/romantically (despite being happy and successful in other areas). I may not like my skin, but that doesnt mean its more noticeable to everyone. In no way does wanting comfortable social experiences, free of insecurity, mean that my entire self worth hangs on the opinions of others. If that were true, I wouldnt have been able to finish school and pursue other things I love while dealing with damaged skin. My life didnt cease. What a negativeinterpretation you took from that. You really took that and ran with it. Dont create a narrative that isnt there because you need something to use as a personal attack.It would be awfullosing a defining feature!But me personally, I would have to find a way to live around a change and not put my worth in onefeature. I have responsibilities and others that depend on me, so I wouldn't have the option not to. I've volunteered with victims of violence, some of which have been physically disfigured and wereworking on moving on from their abuse. I think I gained a perspective from that. My situation could always be worse.

My response was to your questioning and critique of CIT,that works for me and others with backing. Its fine it you dont want to try it, I just provided information where you critiqued it. Calling it a torture device and claiming it's damaged tons of people,was off. I was comparing my healthy diet to my skincare routine, not accusing you of telling me not to eat well. I wouldn't give up my facial routine that works, just like I wouldn't change my healthy diet. Yes, I believe having a good routine will stave off aging. I didn't say it was wrong to be worried about that, I said the opposite. Everyone ages differently, so you can't compare yourself to others. I never said any part of your damage was from aging. Without prevention, aging will just happen eventually (even with it, it'll still happen one day). Specifically on damaged skin. It's not clear what you're getting at. I feel like you're desperate to find inconsistencies in my posts. Weve only exchanged a few messages, so I don't believeyouve had to repeat yourself much.If you'vehadto repeat anything to anyone, it's likely dueto your long winded posts. It's easy to miss things here and there.

Commenting in response to you and others, relevant to the topic, is not hijacking. Asking others to PM me instead of having them address me in your thread is the opposite of hijacking your post. I offered to give anyone advice or info if its something they want to try, as I have a lot of research and am a nerd about that. Im sure youve PM'd plenty of people mentioning their commentsin other threads.Im not sure how thats implicating youre wrong or that Im trying to get others to follow me? That's some intense "reading between the lines".If someone is interested in a method that worked for me, I wouldnt mind talking about it.
Sorry if my previous post was too straight forward or seemed cold. My last comment was in regard to your skin being your favoritefeature, and that I hope you are able to favorite and feel good about other features as well and enjoy other things again. It sucks to not enjoy things because of damage.

Im going to stop responding to this post now. Much of yourresponse involved taking thingsof context, and adding aforced narrative. Its also just really hard to respond to your quick tempered, rantingstyle of posting.

I do hope your skin gets better, and that you are able to update and help others in similar situations.I also hope you feel better emotionally.
<3

MemberMember
(@brokenporecelain)

Posted : 06/30/2017 5:04 pm

5 hours ago, ComfyCozy2 said:

Youve been very intense and rude to multiple posters. Im sorry this happened to you and that youre suffering greatly, but others saying that they are healed (maybe not even saying 100%)and you pointing a finger at them ISlame. Nobody is trying to hide anything or trick you. What would anyone gain from that? No one is suggesting that you become more like them. Theyre stating their experiences to hopefully be relatable.

My comments were not to statethat I am universally found to be attractive. My negative feelings about my own skin bothered mefor a long time, despite evidence that it just wasnt as important as I internally made it. It was something I magnified, butgood or bad, went unnoticed by others. I was good at hiding my insecurities when I forced myself into pubic, and realized I was liked most for who I am and not my appearance (especially one feature such as skin). It is also how I react to others, and rarely notice flaws until pointed out by them. This is a common subject on this site, and Ive read others have similar revelations about their skin and scarring, which is nice and encouraging. I said I have never been rejected, meaning bypeople in general. Not romantically. I didn't say by "anyone", at any point. I'm not sure where those "exact words" came from. People have not rejected/critiquedme sociallybecause of how my skin texture appears or scarring. I mentioned my partner (as did another poster) because he getsthe closest to my face. If he doesnt notice, most people wont.Ive felt better seeing other people mention their similar experiences. Its normal for those with scars or damage to fear rejection socially/romantically (despite being happy and successful in other areas). I may not like my skin, but that doesnt mean its more noticeable to everyone. In no way does wanting comfortable social experiences, free of insecurity, mean that my entire self worth hangs on the opinions of others. If that were true, I wouldnt have been able to finish school and pursue other things I love while dealing with damaged skin. My life didnt cease. What a negativeinterpretation you took from that. You really took that and ran with it. Dont create a narrative that isnt there because you need something to use as a personal attack.It would be awfullosing a defining feature!But me personally, I would have to find a way to live around a change and not put my worth in onefeature. I have responsibilities and others that depend on me, so I wouldn't have the option not to. I've volunteered with victims of violence, some of which have been physically disfigured and wereworking on moving on from their abuse. I think I gained a perspective from that. My situation could always be worse.

My response was to your questioning and critique of CIT,that works for me and others with backing. Its fine it you dont want to try it, I just provided information where you critiqued it. Calling it a torture device and claiming it's damaged tons of people,was off. I was comparing my healthy diet to my skincare routine, not accusing you of telling me not to eat well. I wouldn't give up my facial routine that works, just like I wouldn't change my healthy diet. Yes, I believe having a good routine will stave off aging. I didn't say it was wrong to be worried about that, I said the opposite. Everyone ages differently, so you can't compare yourself to others. I never said any part of your damage was from aging. Without prevention, aging will just happen eventually (even with it, it'll still happen one day). Specifically on damaged skin. It's not clear what you're getting at. I feel like you're desperate to find inconsistencies in my posts. Weve only exchanged a few messages, so I don't believeyouve had to repeat yourself much.If you'vehadto repeat anything to anyone, it's likely dueto your long winded posts. It's easy to miss things here and there.

Commenting in response to you and others, relevant to the topic, is not hijacking. Asking others to PM me instead of having them address me in your thread is the opposite of hijacking your post. I offered to give anyone advice or info if its something they want to try, as I have a lot of research and am a nerd about that. Im sure youve PM'd plenty of people mentioning their commentsin other threads.Im not sure how thats implicating youre wrong or that Im trying to get others to follow me? That's some intense "reading between the lines".If someone is interested in a method that worked for me, I wouldnt mind talking about it.
Sorry if my previous post was too straight forward or seemed cold. My last comment was in regard to your skin being your favoritefeature, and that I hope you are able to favorite and feel good about other features as well and enjoy other things again. It sucks to not enjoy things because of damage.

Im going to stop responding to this post now. Much of yourresponse involved taking thingsof context, and adding aforced narrative. Its also just really hard to respond to your quick tempered, rantingstyle of posting.

I do hope your skin gets better, and that you are able to update and help others in similar situations.I also hope you feel better emotionally.
<3

You're joking me right?

I haven't been rude to anyone.
I've been upset in general.

My rising intensity of response was a result of your lack of ability to respect where I was coming from without including little quips that I shouldn't be taking this the way I have.
I also never said anyone was trying to trick me.
I'm not paranoid about being "tricked".
I'm just saying that a lot of people who said they healed, told me further into the conversation, that they actually didn't...how is that pointing a finger?? It isjust a cold,hard fact.
I already explained everything and what I said and how I feel in excruciating detail.
Please just stop replying so I don't have to keep repeating myself.
Please. (Edit: wrote this before I finished your reply and responding to it in some manner of an order...I see now you've already decided to stop.)
I think you are probably upset at me too because, on the contrary,I DID point a finger at YOU. You kept saying things that I have explained were hurtful. You totally and completely ignored every response I have given you in some form or another. Which is the only reason I keep responding back.
And I will now have to "point" another one.
When you first came on this site, I was told by another userthat your messages to them were fishy and you seemed like you were trying to sell them something.
I have no sure fire wayof knowing if this is true but that's what was told to me.
So I did have that in the back of my mind this whole time.
I don't know if your intentions are to really help people or if you just want to sell this method and if you will eventually link an actual product/device source. (There are alot of people who do that on threads & other websites that get a little more track than usual...and for this issue in particular because it's so hard to fix and people are so desperate.I'm not just making this stuff up.)
And now i don't even know if your new story about how difficult your life is, is even actually true. Not that that really matters.
Though I am leaning towards the fact that you are NOT doing that, personally.
Trying to sell something that is.
I want you to know that.
But you asking people to pm you instead of just creating your own thread like I suggested just seemed to add to my concern.
I am genuinely concerned about that method harming people dealing with a similar issue to what I have.
Because there are plenty of people, who it has done just that to.
I don't want anyone here to put the "nail in their coffin".
I am being protective based on gut instinct, actual anecdotes given to me along with pictures, and evidential findings that a lot of people don't react any more appropriately to that method than they do retin a.
And if you look at people with laser damage or damage from other devices, they are often told that retin a is the answer.
Damage for damage.
So it goes both ways..all ways.
I just think it's safest to stop the cycle all together.
Just be gentle.
Only people I've known to supposedly heal from this have done just that.
Also, I already know that parts of my last response were overeactive, I even added a "disclaimer" but you kept pushing it.
And I'm okay with people seeing me in the moment while dealing with this issue.
It's normal to get upset and "intense" when you are in a position of such vulnerability and feel you have to keep coming back to a place where there are people who hide their little hurtful remarks on you behind an overall text about helping others. And even if they didn't mean it the first time, kept doing it again and again, even though they were asked politely to please stop.
And just stick to the skin.
And You are the one who alluded to the notion that I should change myself to find other things in life more important than my skin. You even said it in your last sentence.
You weren't simply stating your experience and perspective .
You were also taking the mickey out of mine.
And you were absolutely being condescending and still are.
Noreading between the lines necessary to see that much.
Also, I do have things ASimportant as my skin, for the umpteenth time.
But AGAIN, it doesn't make it any less important.
And nothing is going to replace it.
So please stop telling me to find something that will.
//
Well you said you have never been rejected, period. So I assume that means anyone.
And you followed it up by your experience with your partner.
But I do think I actually read that as "anyone" so yes you are right, you did not actually say that word. My apologies.
I honestly could have sworn you said that to the T, because I even went back and checked when I wrote that...even just checked to see if you edited it just now.
But no.
So again, sorry for that.
But it still meant the same in the end, as you have clarified.
Was actually even broader than I thought.
And you created a narrative for me as well.
Come on, now.
(That's the whole reason I had to reply like I did, with what I did. So that your reply is not the last one which is what a lot of people will read first. I have to keep cleaning up the inaccuratemess.)
A narrative that My skin is the only important thing to me.
A narrative that I'm paranoid about people "tricking" me, a narrative that I am just a rude person attacking people on here and more.
It's just ridiculous.
And now you are even turning my own stance into yours.
You've also suddenlycreated a very sympathetic,new narrative for yourself to further the point that I'm the bad guy.
I never pretended to know your whole life story.
And I'm not going to post mine.
But this ain't my first rodeo.
I've got plenty of other things in my life that most people would be intensely bothered by, that I turn a blind eye to most of the time.
And I have already stated further back that the only thing I have to be grateful for right now is the privilege to stay home.
For now.
I know a lot of people have others that depend on them and have to work.
I have spoken to many of them.
I am in awe of them and I tell them as much.
Going out and doing things normally is usually just another act of extreme stress which is not helpful in this situation.
If it does the opposite for some people, then that is good.
I never said that YOU ceased your life.
You've already made that clear that you didn't.
My whole point was that we are DIFFERENT.
You are not me.
I am not you.
And that's okay with me, but it didn't seem to be okay with you.
And ofcourse no one is going to "notice" as much as we do or point things out to us.
No person in their right mind would do that, unless they want hell to pay.
And part of it is to be considerate and polite and pc., to protect feelings. All of us do that in average, everyday life. I've only tried to stop doing it since this happened, because I know it's not exactly fair. Though most of the time we don't even realize we are doing it since we are so preoccupied with ourselves, not the issues of others.
But it's not because it's not noticeable or not there.
(Although there are cases where that is true).
It's not even because we are our own worst critic.
It's because it is OUR face, not theirs.
They are incapable of caring as much as we do about it or having the ability to comprehend what it is liketo be directly behind it, 24:7.
Other people's perspective of us is no more correct or accurate than our own.
Quite the opposite.
Unless you are one of those really blunt, honest people, who tell it like it is, all the time, for everything.
Even then, no one is going to assess another person's skin as if it is theirs.
Or be as emotional about it.
( So we both realize thisbut it means something different to me than it does to you.)
Also, obviously everything can always be worse. I know that already.
That is a statement that can be made for anything and everything, at any time.
Because it's always infinitely true.
But it sure doesn't make a lot of people feel any better.
It just leads to invalidation of our problems.
For a lot of people, we on this thread, are the embodiment of "it could always be worse".
Just like those victims of abuse and violence were to you.
A "torture device" is what many other people who have been damaged by that method are calling it.
My fears aren't baseless or off.
Unless you are to tell me that the hundreds of people who post about their damage from that method are all liars.
Lol yes my posts are long winded, I often givefairwarning of such, that's just the way I am, so what??
You don't have to insult me just because you kept missing something I said over and over again and expanded upon with more than one sentence, but rather paragraphs. So to miss all of that must really be quite difficult and hard for me to understand and believe.
That's fine with me that you stop responding.
I've asked it in so many words.
But for you to end your response in such a hypocritical manner just blows my mind.
I can, should, and have been saying much of thevery same to YOU, first.
You ignored a lot of my own context completely and also took it to the point of being hurtful and also doing exactly what you now accuse me of.
I love how your very last words to me are how my posts are quick tempered and in the style of rants-which I strongly disagree with btw- and then you follow that with an "I hope you get better" and a love sign.
How much more derisive, snide and backhanded can you get?
Oh but I suppose I should say thank you??
Thanks I guess.
Your posts are overall hot and cold and just quite mercurialin anunderstated way.
I go from feeling bad and about to reach outan olive branch to immediately being slapped in the face with it.

I guess we shall just agree to disagree on a lot of things.
Im not completely in the right as far as misconceptions and excessiveness gobut you are nowhere near exemptfrom being in the wrong either.

Farewell.
And good luck in your own endeavors, in your own way of doing things. Keep in mind I wrote my response mostly side by side to reading yours so I only knewyou were "done" by the very end.
Im not going to adjust what I said , however.
We'veobviously both spent more time than is worth it on this.
Clarifying and Unclarifyig and so on and so forth.
MemberMember
(@yola4)

Posted : 06/30/2017 11:50 pm

Woahhhhh. Ok I'm glad that's over with!
This forum is filled with people who obviously care about their skin and our faces are without a doubt a huge part of our identities...I mean that's the whole point of being on this site right??? And it's also the sole purpose of needling...to better your skin and find remedies that work.
We come here for support and guidance and all of this unnecessary bickering is not solving anything. I'm glad Comfycozy found a routine that works for her. In fact, I too promote the use of the derminator/needling as it has done great things for my skin over the past few years, but I'm not telling BrokenPorecelain to try it because I already know her issues with it. Although, I haven't come across any horror stories regarding it either unless it was misused. But the word "misuse" is broad and can cover a huge spectrum of why adverse results can come about. This definitely belongs in the Derminator/dermaneedling thread lol. Anyway, back to the point...Sometimes you just have to agree to disagree!
I get what BrokenPorecelain is going through and I understand her emotional rants lol. As I'm guilty of the same thing. If you aren't currently in her shoes then there's just no way to relate. Even if you had a problem with your skin in the past...the past is just that...the past. Now you can look back calmly in retrospect. And and it's just not the same because her issue is raw and current which brings about so many unwanted anxieties and emotions. She started this thread and is free to express her opinion as is anyone else who wants to contribute. But let's try not to pour salt on the wound.
Now, let's try and get this thread back on track. I'm hoping it not only becomes more of a welcoming place for those of us suffering from Retin A damage, but also a refuge to those with future similar experiences.

MemberMember
(@reitz13)

Posted : 07/28/2017 3:20 am

Same comment by other post with similar problem

Sulwhasoo Herblinic and restoration ingredients like snail. niacinamide and hyaluronic acid.

MemberMember
(@user613823)

Posted : 09/13/2017 12:46 am

Hi, BrokenPorcelain, I have been following you on here and have read most of your posts. I too, had the same damage but from excessive dosage of retin-a though used with a buffer and extremely responsibly (less than a pea size) 1-2 times per week. I too suffered damage in the form of terrible, terrible skin texture and oiliness, orange peel texture, extreme BRIGHT RED insane breakout ALL over my face. It was like a switch was flipped. I cried all day everyday for 2 months. I wasted half of my summer and my face was so beautiful before all of this. The texture, though has seemed to improve, though I still have fine lines under my eyes. After all of this fiasco, when it became too much to handle I went into the derm two months ago and was told I had a severe bacterial infection on my face (likely stemming from the shitty retin-a she prescribed me). I have since recovered by rinsing with very cold water every day, moisturizing with a repair cream while skin is still soaking wet, and never submitting myself to sunshine. Also not touching it. And icing. It got better after about a month as far as the texture issues go. I would suggest a VERY GENTLE and light mandelic acid. It was so soothing to my skin.. I went into a medical aesthetician that was employed through a plastic surgeon's office with my skin in a terrible state to get some extractions done, because at the time I figured, 'what the heck (PS are we allowed to swear on here?) its not like this could possibly get any worse'. She did some simple extractions and the mandelic acid and perhaps a vitamin c cream she used really soothed my skin and helped smooth out my skin as well. I suppose I was also drinking a lot (let's be real-that's all I ever did) when my skin was bad so I was also probably badly dehydrated which made matters worse. I've upped my water since (I've been taking a higher dosage of Spiro as of recently) but I also invested in a high-output bougie humidifier that I run in my bedroom every single night, sometimes during the day. My skin has mostly gone back to normal, but it took ages and I still have heaps of closed comedones all over which I get extractions for. My skin seems to have changed indefinitely but I see improvement most days. I wish you all the best! Get some Xanax girl, if you can. From a doctor of course. It really helps.. It's been my saving grace these last couple of weeks throughout this CC/clogged pore struggle.

MemberMember
(@yola4)

Posted : 09/13/2017 4:51 pm

15 hours ago, concdead said:

Hi, BrokenPorcelain, I have been following you on here and have read most of your posts. I too, had the same damage but from excessive dosage of retin-a though used with a buffer and extremely responsibly (less than a pea size) 1-2 times per week. I too suffered damage in the form of terrible, terrible skin texture and oiliness, orange peel texture, extreme BRIGHT RED insane breakout ALL over my face. It was like a switch was flipped. I cried all day everyday for 2 months. I wasted half of my summer and my face was so beautiful before all of this. The texture, though has seemed to improve, though I still have fine lines under my eyes. After all of this fiasco, when it became too much to handle I went into the derm two months ago and was told I had a severe bacterial infection on my face (likely stemming from the shitty retin-a she prescribed me). I have since recovered by rinsing with very cold water every day, moisturizing with a repair cream while skin is still soaking wet, and never submitting myself to sunshine. Also not touching it. And icing. It got better after about a month as far as the texture issues go. I would suggest a VERY GENTLE and light mandelic acid. It was so soothing to my skin.. I went into a medical aesthetician that was employed through a plastic surgeon's office with my skin in a terrible state to get some extractions done, because at the time I figured, 'what the heck (PS are we allowed to swear on here?) its not like this could possibly get any worse'. She did some simple extractions and the mandelic acid and perhaps a vitamin c cream she used really soothed my skin and helped smooth out my skin as well. I suppose I was also drinking a lot (let's be real-that's all I ever did) when my skin was bad so I was also probably badly dehydrated which made matters worse. I've upped my water since (I've been taking a higher dosage of Spiro as of recently) but I also invested in a high-output bougie humidifier that I run in my bedroom every single night, sometimes during the day. My skin has mostly gone back to normal, but it took ages and I still have heaps of closed comedones all over which I get extractions for. My skin seems to have changed indefinitely but I see improvement most days. I wish you all the best! Get some Xanax girl, if you can. From a doctor of course. It really helps.. It's been my saving grace these last couple of weeks throughout this CC/clogged pore struggle.

Hey Concdead!
I'm also dealing with retinoid damage and was wondering how long it took for you to recover? Your skin has changed indefinitely? The OP has been to several derms. I know that both she and I were told that yeast is playing a part in this mess, but we aren't sure how big a part. Did your derm prescribe something for the bacterial infection? Yes, hydration is important! I was also put on low dose Xanax because of this LOL....awful! I'm glad you're getting better. :) I heard it can take 1-1 1/2 years to fully heal from this...

MemberMember
(@user613823)

Posted : 09/22/2017 8:51 pm

Hey Yola! SO sorry it's taken so long for me to reply. I would say it took me a good 1.5 months to get back to having normalized skin again after the damage.... be patient and be gentle! Cleanse as little as possible, completely eliminate any sort of exfoliation.... What I found helped my skin and I still do this was the ice cold or tepid only water rinse then using a good moisturizer, icing for inflammation and redness as necessary. GET THE HUMIDIFIER. lol.  I don't think has changed indefinintely except for the lingering closed comedones which got much worse when I was on the tretinoin and still have yet to leave . I did receive bactrim 80/160 2x daily for the bacterial infection and it worked, but slowly.... very slowly. It took about three weeks. My skin was still so damaged-looking and texturally different after that, though. I recommend a vitamin C serum, and actually now that I think about it stay away from the mandelic for awhile, it can irritate and be a bit drying but not very common. I found that eltaMD barrier repair worked reallllly well for me. I actually went through a bottle of it in like 2 weeks. It's spendy but I thought it was worth it and I saw the damage improve much faster than using my other hydrating products. 

MemberMember
(@sally22)

Posted : 10/09/2017 12:40 am

Hi I have recently joined after getting orange peel skin due to using copper peptides. After constant research I care across this post and wondered if you have seen it. There are a lot of people that have had good results. My damage is from copper peptides rather than retin a but hoping it wont make a massive difference. I think a hands off approach is the way forward.

https://www.realself.com/review/world-fraxel-laser-orange-peel-texture-help-please-read

MemberMember
(@gettingback)

Posted : 10/30/2017 12:30 am

BrokenPorcelain I really hope you're okay and that you're seeing some form of improvement yet. I really really feel for you and everything that you've written in this thread really resonated with me. I feel much the same way about my skin. It's just something so important to me that I don't think I could live without it. I too have other shit going on.. I was bedridden for most of my early 20s with some not so fun diseases, and basically my skin was just always that one perfect feature that really comforted me and just gave me joy. Having perfect skin was such a big part of my identity. I guess it still is even though it's no longer even close to perfect. I started using retin a almost 3 months ago, mainly for anti aging purposes because I was seeing the effects of physical and mental stress and the toll of a really unhealthy lifestyle (forced by circumstances) and I was feeling like youth and time had been stolen from me. Here I am in my late 20s with no new life experiences since I was like 16 or 17. I didn't want to see these signs of ageing, not yet. My damage hasn't gotten too severe. I have gotten orange peel texture skin now that I didn't have before, mainly on my cheeks although you can see it all over. I don't have the porous texture, but I actually suffered from that earlier in the summer before I started with the retin a. It really freaked me out. I was convinced it was something hormonal as I had lost a lot of weight for no reason just before this happened and had also started noticing some thick dark hairs on the face and body I hadn't had before. The skin felt like some kind of sponge with no elasticity and would crease or wrinkle when I touched it and stay looking that way for hours. This wasn't limited to my face, but I noticed that my calves had like imprints from wearing loose fitting yoga pants in soft elastic material.. the imprints were not even just from the seams, but all over in the shape of the soft barely there wrinkles in the fabric from having been stuffed by my closet... It was insane how hints of wrinkles in soft loose material could leave prints all over my calves that lasted for hours. I was also getting small red bumps all over my face that looked like pimples and itched, but weren't really filled with anything. I was at the end of my stay in another country when this happened, but was returning home in a couple of weeks or something like that. At home I went straight to the doctor and had some blood work done. They didn't check any hormones other than thyroid and that came back normal. I didn't have time to go to an endocrinologist for further testing though before the skin texture was all of a sudden back to normal. I never found out what was going on, but I still suspect it could have been some hormonal imbalance.. or maybe it was stress/nutritional deficiency coming with my random extreme weight loss. I guess what I want to say with this is that the body is really weird and texture like this can be the result of some unknown thing going on in your body and whatever is causing it can spontaneously resolve itself. I know yours is damage caused by the retinoid, but maybe it happened and is still going on because of something going on in your body. Whatever that is could very well spontaneously resolve itself. Even if the tests you've done haven't found anything there could still be something. My crippling disease is one that doesn't show up on any tests, and has yet to be scientifically explained or properly understood. Sometimes doctors skip certain tests too that they don't think could be relevant. I guess I just don't want you to give up yet although that's not up to me. I believe you can heal. It might take some time, but skin is such a bizarre organ. Even if it stays looking the same for a long time with little improvement it's definitely not impossible that it could start changing very rapidly for the better. I also in my teens suffered from the completely bizarre condition called dermatographia which also completely went away one day after a couple of years for seemingly no reason. Anyway I really feel for you, but hope you have the strength to persevere and not give up yet. If it ever comes to that stage when you're just ready to give up and have nothing to lose.. well I would try a stem cell "facelift". As I understand it, it's the injection of specific type of stem cells harvested from your own fat. It's entirely different from the so called fruit stem cell serums or PRP or ampire facial. The stem cells apparently have the ability to rebuild new tissue. I really hope your damage will reverse. Same for everyone else too. Stay strong guys and hang in there because nothing is impossible.