Notifications
Clear all

SHELF LIFE OF TOPICAL RX PRODUTS?

MemberMember
(@gwennyj)

Posted : 09/15/2016 4:12 pm

Wondering if anyone in your family is using a PRESCRIPTION topical ACNE drug product (list below of some brands but you might have a generic version which is fine too). If so I'm trying to find out the "shelf life" of various products so as to determine which is best for me. If you still have original outer packaging that the tube/pump came in, it should have an expiration date on it. Please respond and note:
1) the brand/generic name
2) product form (gel, cream, foam, whatever)
3)the month you bought it --or actual date if its on the label and
4) the expiration date on the package.

I am only interested in PRESCRIPTION products - not over-the counter acne treatments. Thanks in advance!

Retin-A Cream/Gel
Differin (Adapalene)
BenzaClin Topical Gel
Epiduo Gel
Tazorac
Duac
Clindagel
Doryx
Zithromax
Aczone
Acanya
Onexton
Azelex
Ziana
Acticlate
Oracea

MemberMember
(@jazzguy)

Posted : 09/15/2016 4:34 pm

Expiration dates are based on the date of manufacture of the batch of product so the date that someone bought it off the shelf may not be entirely helpful. You should find most products have a 2 or 3 year (from date of manufacture) expiration dating....this is just an industry norm as this timeframe is long enough for products to be distributed through various channels, sold and used by consumers and there isn't much point in continuing with the cost of stability testing to generate data to support longer shelf life on the labels. Hope that helps somewhat 🙂

DeLovely liked