Notifications
Clear all

Prescribed Accutane and Minocycline together, is that allowed?

MemberMember
(@averageadiii)

Posted : 07/10/2016 12:47 pm

So Ive been on Isotretinoin (30 mg/day) for 2 weeks, yesterday my derm told me to continue Isotretinoin but prescribed an additional medicine called Minonil 65 (which is basically minocycline). The information leaflet in the Isotretinoin packaging explicitly warns against taking it with any sort of tetracyclines, when I asked my derm, he said it wasn't anything to worry about, however I'm still worried, has anyone else been prescribed these two together? have you noticed any serious side effects?

MemberMember
(@kelbell812)

Posted : 07/10/2016 6:44 pm

I have never heard of anyone taking another medication while on accutane ever, seeing as accutane is the strongest and most successful med for acne on it's own. That seems really unnecessary to me, and even a bit irresponsible since accutane can be hard enough on your body alone - adding a strong antibiotic to that just seems like a bad idea. Especially considering you haven't even been on accutane that long yet. I would seek a 2nd medical opinion on that before going ahead with it.

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 07/10/2016 7:39 pm

If I remember correctly Minocycline is in the Tetracycline family. It clearly states taking both is a no no and can cause pseudo tumor cerebri!

MemberMember
(@averageadiii)

Posted : 07/12/2016 11:20 am

went ahead and took the pills, nothing happened. I also found out that it isn't unusual to prescribe minocycline and Isotretinoin together.