Notifications
Clear all

Using Tretinoin after Accutane

MemberMember
(@brookenicole4813gmail-com)

Posted : 06/04/2016 11:14 am

I was on Accutane for about 5 months, and it cleared up my skin way better than I ever thought it would. My derm then prescribed me Tretinoin 0.05%, to start using 3 weeks after. I started using it 3 weeks after Accutane and about 3 days in my skin started drying out immensely and flaking like crazy. My derm told me to continue moisturizing, but when I do my face burns very badly. Should I stop using the cream or does my skin just need time to get used to it? It prescribed to use every night, but I lowered it to every other night because my skin just can't handle it. Any advice would help!

MemberMember
(@elee92)

Posted : 06/04/2016 10:11 pm

Personally, my skin and Tretinoin never got along. It irritated the crap out of my skin - it made it red, inflamed my existing acne, and caused even more acne. My skin got so sensitive that it hurt to splash water on my face so I stopped using it.

I say call your derm and see what's up. If you can't get immediate advice or appointment, I would stop and let your skin take a breather. You just finished Accutane which made your skin pretty fragile so making it burn probably isn't that great for it. If you don't want to stop, I'd apply it no more than 2x a week for now..

MemberMember
(@banban)

Posted : 06/09/2016 11:06 pm

Get a better moisturizer or a lower strength of tret. Im super happy with the .025 tret. Or try adapalene since its more gentle.

Tret takes time to work with the skin. I started from once a week to now everyday took me a while but its so good now. Plus as a bonus fine wrinkles are going away.

But everyone skin is different!