Notifications
Clear all

Doxycycline skin darker

MemberMember
(@nearlythere)

Posted : 05/31/2016 3:44 pm

Im a newbie to this website but I have suffered from acne for over 15 years.

Ive been taking doxycyline for the past 4 months daily. I feel like my general skin tone has become darker, not just my face, most of my body. I am asian so have brown skin. I haven't been on holiday and have had minimal sun exposure (the weather hasnt been brilliant!).
I have not been able to get an opinion from a doctor yet and I will not be seeing the dermatologist for another 3 months.

I wanted to know if anyone else has had the same thing happen to them?

MemberMember
(@ugurl)

Posted : 05/31/2016 10:53 pm

That may not all be in your head actually. i've read a few people's testimonials who said their skin tones in general got darker after using doxy and this issue mainly effects people of asian descent. Drugs.com says "doxycycline may darken the color of your skin, nails, eyes, teeth, gums, or scars. Talk with your doctor if you have any concerns."

I'm taking doxy and also of asian descent and believe that my skin had gotten a bit darker than it normally is. I think it is due to the fact that I wasn't as diligentabout sun protection as I am now. It's extremelyimportant to use sun screen, hats, full sleeves whatever it is when you're outside to protect yourself from the sun. Good thing is, it's nothingpermanent, in a week or so your skin toneshould return back to normal if you be careful outdoors.

Check out this link in the mean time, it may offer you some insight on the interaction of doxycycline and the sun: https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forums/health/topics/doxycycline-the-sun?page=1#post_15562030