Notifications
Clear all

Accutane-not seeing major improvement

MemberMember
(@guitarist-21)

Posted : 03/14/2016 8:11 pm

Hi, I just started my fourth month of accutane last week, and so far I haven't seen much improvement. In fact, my acne looks worse then when I started accutane. One side of my face is starting to clear up a little after breaking out very badly, but has left dark ugly scars in its place. I am worried that even if I do start seeing more results, I will still be left with very noticeable scars all over my cheeks. I've heard from some people that accutane helps get rid of scars, but I don't feel like that's going to happen. Do you think that accutane is going to work for me considering I'm already on month four and all I've seen is my skin get worse then it was to begin with? I am staring to lose hope and thinking I made the wrong decision in taking accutane..

MemberMember
(@wittysock)

Posted : 03/15/2016 4:13 pm

Hi, it's fairly common to not see much improvement until the later months of treatment - it would be nice if it worked faster huh? If your face is starting to clear now then I'd say that's a good sign.
I don't think accutane is really meant to help scarring in particular. Red marks do go away with time, so for people where the acne stops early (say month 2 or 3) then the rest of their course is time passing that the marks are fading without being made worse by further acne and inflammation, so it would be getting better during the course.
I'd suggest try to focus on one thing at a time - there's not much you can do about any marks or scarring whilst on accutane (other than moisturise and wear sunscreen). For now deal with finishing your course and getting your acne clear. Maybe you can even discuss a different dosage with your derm if you feel you're not getting the results you want.
Once you are a couple of months clear after the accutane, then you can start looking into scar treatments if you want to, but I'd imagine any red marks would be looking a lot better by then already!
Good luck!