Notifications
Clear all

Breaking out after Accutane

MemberMember
(@bcrowell)

Posted : 02/09/2016 7:58 pm

I have been battling acne for as long as I can remember. I've tried multiple over the counter and prescription treatments and I still continue to have acne. I have taken doxycycline, bactrim, and other antibiotics I don't know the names of, along with a 5 month treatment of Accutane last spring (2015). Accutane worked great for the first 3 months after I finished treatment, and then my acne started to come back. Not nearly as bad as my previous experience though. I started to take bactrim with little change, so I instead started to take Epiduo. I have been on Epiduo for almost 3 months now and it has been off and on. The first month it was still kicking in and I saw little change. By the second month I started to see it clear up and I stayed clear for about 3 weeks, but now I am starting to break out again. It seems that everything I take works for only a short time and then stops working. I will include that my diet includes a lot of dairy. I drink milk with every meal of the day and have cottage cheese every lunch, along with all the other dairy included in regular meals. Could dairy be my problem? What should be my next step? I'm considering returning to the dermatologist and trying to start another medication/treatment. All input is greatly appreciated!

MemberMember
(@appleysauce)

Posted : 02/10/2016 4:22 am

Yes I would definitely encourage you to eliminate dairy for at least a month, you could be surprised!
are you female or male?

MemberMember
(@acnehardcase)

Posted : 02/11/2016 10:30 am

I personally think that the diet thing is nonsense but it couldn't hurt. Consistency is the key to successful acne maintenance. You should go back to the doctor and ask for advice and stick with the treatment every single day