Notifications
Clear all

is it hard to get a round 2 of accutane (NHS)

MemberMember
(@freakingthefrackout)

Posted : 02/02/2016 11:59 am

My derm says that 4 months is all almost anyone with acne needs on Accutane. I feel almost certain that I am going to relapseafterwards as I've heard it needs6 to 8 months especially as my dose hasn't been overly high. He said that if it did come back mildly I could just use retin-a cream but I don't WANT to put this chemical crap on my face to stop it falling apart all my frickin life. I want acne gone and I had it pretty bad for 8 years.

Question is- will they let you have a round 2 of Accutane easily, like if you have mild acne? Or will they fob you off with antibiotics and harsh creams forevermore?

Sincerely, fed up of this

MemberMember
(@fudgesicle87)

Posted : 02/02/2016 12:16 pm

What's your dose and weight? 4 months does seem a little short, but your dose might have been high for your weight. My derm told me there was a very small chance I would need a second course. I don't think there would be any difficulty in me getting a second course if that was what I needed.

MemberMember
(@wentoutwithoutahat)

Posted : 02/05/2016 7:03 am

On 02/02/2016 at 4:59 PM, freakingthefrackout said:

My derm says that 4 months is all almost anyone with acne needs on Accutane. I feel almost certain that I am going to relapseafterwards as I've heard it needs6 to 8 months especially as my dose hasn't been overly high. He said that if it did come back mildly I could just use retin-a cream but I don't WANT to put this chemical crap on my face to stop it falling apart all my frickin life. I want acne gone and I had it pretty bad for 8 years.

Question is- will they let you have a round 2 of Accutane easily, like if you have mild acne? Or will they fob you off with antibiotics and harsh creams forevermore?

Sincerely, fed up of this

There is a way around this.

A few years back I was refused isotretinoin on the NHS because they deemed my acne wasn't severe enough, even though I had been putting up with it since I was 11 (first year of high school here in the UK).

This year I had enough, so I went to a private dermatologist who prescribed it with very few questions asked. I then switched to the NHS who have been seeing me ever since and I'm currently on month 6.

The private route was expensive. My consultation was 120 and the first prescription was around 70 for 4 weeks supply. Now on the NHS I only pay 8.20 for 6 weeks supply!

My acne was only mild when I started the course, so you should have no problems going the private route. I did however have a huge cyst, which might have swayed the dermatologist.

MemberMember
(@freakingthefrackout)

Posted : 02/08/2016 10:31 am

On 05/02/2016 at 0:03 PM, wentoutwithoutahat said:
There is a way around this.

A few years back I was refused isotretinoin on the NHS because they deemed my acne wasn't severe enough, even though I had been putting up with it since I was 11 (first year of high school here in the UK).

This year I had enough, so I went to a private dermatologist who prescribed it with very few questions asked. I then switched to the NHS who have been seeing me ever since and I'm currently on month 6.

The private route was expensive. My consultation was 120 and the first prescription was around 70 for 4 weeks supply. Now on the NHS I only pay 8.20 for 6 weeks supply!

My acne was only mild when I started the course, so you should have no problems going the private route. I did however have a huge cyst, which might have swayed the dermatologist.

i could never afford that

MemberMember
(@wentoutwithoutahat)

Posted : 02/09/2016 7:11 am

I guess you're screwed then!