Notifications
Clear all

6 Weeks on Accutane , Am I Just Imagining Hairloss?

MemberMember
(@lovemydogs)

Posted : 01/21/2016 2:36 pm

I have started to notice great differences in my skin, but I am terrified of potential hair thinning or hair loss. I have very fine/thin hair to begin with, so reading stories about losing chunks or 50% of your hair is really scaring me. I do not want to give up on this drug, but I am feeling quite hopeless. I feel as if I may have to choose between having clear skin or having hair. Having acne has been one of the most difficult things I have dealt with emotionally and mentally, and I am starting to feel similar about the hair thinning I have noticed. Has anyone else found themselves in a similar situation on this medication? Am I just being a hypochondriac? Unfortunately, my dermatologist has not been much help about answering questions. Any advice, thoughts, or perspectives would be greatly appreciated.

MemberMember
(@fudgesicle87)

Posted : 01/22/2016 10:47 pm

I have very thick hair. I finished accutane a little over a month ago and I notice my brush is full every day. I don't notice a difference in the hair on my head and I don't find hair anywhere but in the brush, but accutane definitely had an impact.

MemberMember
(@valerie1987)

Posted : 01/25/2016 1:20 am

I haven't noticed any hair loss, but I know how you feel. I'm constantly asking my friends if they notice any of my hair missing. It's a really really scary thought.

MemberMember
(@mtatton)

Posted : 01/25/2016 2:40 pm

Hair loss on accutane is a very real side effect. After all, it was originally a chemotherapy drug.

Hopefully it should grow back once the course ends.

MemberMember
(@lovemydogs)

Posted : 03/27/2016 10:29 pm

Hey there. I decided to quit accutane after three months. The hair thinning continued and it was too devastating to take. I actually ended up in the ER with severe panic attacks and anxiety. The doctors said it is possible the anxiety also resulted from the medication.

Since I stopped my deem immediately had me start taking solodyn (115mg @ 130lbs). In 4 weeks I will start a topical retinoin. I have been on Ortho Tri Cyclen birth control for four and a half months now.

I am clear right now. Have been off the accutane and on solodyn for 2 weeks now. Hoping acne does not return after solodyn.

Thank you for responding, I really appreciate hearing from everyone. This has been such a difficult battle and still feeling quite hopeless.

MemberMember
(@lovemydogs)

Posted : 07/19/2016 10:22 pm

Over 4 months post accutane and I am still losing hair. TONS of hair.