Notifications
Clear all

Roaccutane help - dry skin?

MemberMember
(@maddy6)

Posted : 12/29/2015 4:36 pm

Hi everyone,

A little back story,I'm a 20 year old female who has struggled with acne for as long as I can remember, I've tried every prescription medication that my doctor could give me so he sent me to a dermatologist.

I got prescribed Roaccutane, it's currently only day 8,I'm on 3 tablets a day 20 mg. I was told by my derm to NOT use moisturiser on active acne, I'm allowed to on arms and legs etc but not my face, but my skin on my face is peeling so much mainly on my nose and chin,it's itchy nothing unbearable but extremely annoying.. And assuming it's going to get a whole lot worse seeing as it's only day 8!!Would it be stupid to go against my derms advice and use a moisturiser or carry on with the dryness..

If I do moisturise can anyone recommend me an extremely gentle one, no oils, fragrance etc

Thanks in advance!

MemberMember
(@jones4545)

Posted : 12/30/2015 11:39 am

Thats really strange, I hear this alot of these threads that their doc told them not to moisturize. My derm told me to moisturize 3 times a day. Use cetephil moisturizer. Just go through youtube videos and almost everyone will tell you to use cetephil religiously. Does anyone on here know why a derm would tell you NOT to moisturize?? Ive been on 2 courses and the moisturizer is a must!!!

MemberMember
(@maddy6)

Posted : 12/30/2015 12:37 pm

Thanks for your reply Jones4545, I know it is very strange!! I wish I asked him why at the time, I didn't realise just how dry and flaky my skin would get!! I just don't want it to effect the roaccutane itself and stop it working, he was really adamant not to moisturise 

I will definitely invest in cetephil though, thanks for the recommendation!

MemberMember
(@jones4545)

Posted : 12/30/2015 1:05 pm

25 minutes ago, Maddy6 said:

Thanks for your reply Jones4545, I know it is very strange!! I wish I asked him why at the time, I didn't realise just how dry and flaky my skin would get!! I just don't want it to effect the roaccutane itself and stop it working, he was really adamant not to moisturise 

I will definitely invest in cetephil though, thanks for the recommendation!

Just call the derm and ask a nurse, they have to get that question 10 times a day. I seriously think it has zero affect on the effectivness of accutane. I think the doc wants the skin to dry out as much as possible, but that might be for people who have very oily skin even while on accutane. Call and ask before applying any, but MOST people moisturize a shitload while on accutane and ive never heard it stops it from working.