Notifications
Clear all

Should I fill my Doxycycline Prescription?

MemberMember
(@marie0395)

Posted : 12/11/2015 4:08 pm

I was given a prescription for doxycycline (I am to take 2 100mg tablets each day for 3 months). However after doing some research on it I am not sure if I should try it or not and would appreciate any input.

Two months ago I was prescribedEpiduo (akaTactuPump) for my face. It has been working and my dermatologist was very pleased with the results so far. He gave me a doxycycline prescription for the moderate acne on myback. Therefore I am to continue using the Epiduo gel and start taking the doxy.

I am worried about two things: 1. the side effects and 2. that it may reverse the progress I've seen in my face after using Epiduo.
I've heard many people say their acne gets worse before it gets better while using doxycycline. I don't want my face to start breaking out again if I start taking doxy, however I'm fine if my back gets worse before it gets better.
Also I get yeast infections and have heard that doxy can worsen the frequency of yeast infections? Is this true?

MemberMember
(@tootie2014)

Posted : 12/13/2015 3:07 am

There's no science whatsoever to back up an antibiotic making acne worse. Retinoids are the only ones that thin the skin and bring hidden bumps to the surface for a one last goodbye to acne. I would NOT use it. Antibiotics internally are going to effect you SYSTEMICALLY. It's your integumentary system that needs help, not your liver, stomach, kidneys etc. Yeast infections are the least of your worries (will happen too).

If your acne was just bacterial, topical hibiclens would clear it. Pick it up at the drug store and just avoid your eye area. Hibiclens keeps any trunk area acne away for me. Leave it on for a couple of minutes before rinsing, it will make your skin an area where bacteria can not thrive at all. And bacteria can NOT build a tolerance to hibiclens.

If your acne on your face is consistent, my guess would be your cell turnover sucks, which is why retinoids work so well for people. It's an exfoliant and it shrinks your oil glands. It's an ugly process but I am perfectly clear on it (tretinoin cream) and I STILL have mucho cystic acne whenever I try to stop it for longer than a couple weeks.

I'm not a fan of epiduo because it's very drying over time and meds like that do nothing to increase collagen as the months go on or help antiaging so that suffering is for nothing, sadly.

MemberMember
(@ben100604)

Posted : 12/13/2015 5:18 pm

Epiduo and doxycycline at the same time will be fine.

And there's no initial outbreak with antibiotics. In fact, if they're going to work well then you should see improvements pretty quickly!