Notifications
Clear all

Accutane Causes Cancer In 5-20 Years?

MemberMember
(@anfour)

Posted : 08/29/2015 12:51 am

I read some online reports of some people that got colon cancer or some type of leaukemia after a couple of years after accutane. Probably 5-20 years I read, and accutane has only been around 30 years or so. Maybe it is true since accutane affects the colon and does say it can reduce blood/white cell count. Try to google some of this.

I have severe cystic acne 90% of my face, but I'd rather look disgusting and talking to the dark than knowing I might get some kind of cancer in the future. Your thoughts?

So so desperate and scared..

MemberMember
(@lore91)

Posted : 08/29/2015 2:11 am

Everything in the world creates cancer.

In my eyes you can't blame accutane for cancer you get 20+ years later - it could be anything in that time!

(Also personal experience, on my 6th month of accutane now and so much happier with my skin... And the only side effects I have is dryness and occasional lower back pain, but I am also a proffesional dancer)

MemberMember
(@tretinoin)

Posted : 08/29/2015 4:12 am

I believe the water we drink can be the cause of cancer too! Think about it, 100% of all cancer patients have consumed water!

Also, 100% of all cancer patients have inhaled the air, so maybe air causes cancer?

Obviously im not being serious, but unless its scientifically proven, you shouldn't believe it.

Coffeeaddict, User640170, Juwalker and 1 people liked
MemberMember
(@anfour)

Posted : 08/29/2015 8:44 pm

http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11814

Here's a link. People with no history of cancer start getting colon cancer or some type of cancer later on in life. Accutane does affect the colon. 5-20 years. I even asked my doctor and he said "well it's is a very strong drug". Your thoughts?

MemberMember
(@geeking)

Posted : 08/29/2015 11:48 pm

Moved to Prescription Acne Medications

MemberMember
(@bob1esq)

Posted : 02/26/2017 11:09 am

I took accutane about 35 YEARS AGO WHEN IT FIRST CAME OUT. At that time only a 10 year followup study has been done. And that showed no increase in cancer incidence in 10 years. Since then some studies have shown a decrease in some types oc cancer incidence for accutane users--but it appears they have to continuously be on accutane to derive this benefit, which is not feasible due to accutane side effects. I still do not have cancer and my sis and cousin who took accutane over 25 years ago have not got cancer either. So, if there is an association between accutane and cancer, It is a mild one. However, even today I suffer from chapped lips and dry skin and dandruff. So there are some lifelong side effects. So unless your acne is going to leave permanent scarring I would recommend not taking it. by the time you are 21 your acne will be gone.

Su Zan liked
MemberMember
(@brokenporecelain)

Posted : 02/28/2017 5:13 pm

On August 29, 2015 at 1:51 AM, AnFour said:

I read some online reports of some people that got colon cancer or some type of leaukemia after a couple of years after accutane. Probably 5-20 years I read, and accutane has only been around 30 years or so. Maybe it is true since accutane affects the colon and does say it can reduce blood/white cell count. Try to google some of this.

I have severe cystic acne 90% of my face, but I'd rather look disgusting and talking to the dark than knowing I might get some kind of cancer in the future. Your thoughts?

So so desperate and scared..

Hmm.

Really?

Personally i'd take cancer over looking like a "monster" any day.
What's the point of living without cancer when you are only really "existing" in a dark room the whole time.
I'd rather get even just One nice year in, looking like myself, feeling confident, and then have the cancer snuff me out...rather than continue being a hermit who wants to vomit at their own reflection for a lifetime.
Plus cancer= insta-sympathy and understanding.
While acne/skin damage= "get over it"-(everyone who isn't You).

Also, as another poster said...everything causes cancer these days...plus did you know that Accutane is actually a drug that was used in conjunction with others to TREAT certain types of cancers..and still sometimes IS a part of chemotherapy...?

Juwalker liked
(@Anonymous)

Posted : 03/05/2017 10:46 am

On 2/28/2017 at 11:13 PM, BrokenPorEcelain said:

plus did you know that Accutane is actually a drug that was used in conjunction with others to TREAT certain types of cancers..and still sometimes IS a part of chemotherapy...?

I would've never said that any type of cancer is better than acne. I had my internship in a oncology centre in my city in the daytime chemo unit and saw very disturbing things,so as much as I hate acne and also understand that for some of us it may feel like it's the worst thing in the world.Its really not,not even close.

MemberMember
(@brokenporecelain)

Posted : 03/05/2017 12:14 pm

1 hour ago, lukii said:

Haven't you heard about a secondary cancers that you can develop after cancertreatments such as chemotherapy?

I would've never said that any type of cancer is better than acne.As a med school student I had my internship in a oncology centre in my city in the daytime chemo unit during my first year and saw very disturbing things,so as much as I hate acne and also understand that for some of us it may feel like it's the worst thing in the world.Its really not,not even close.

If you get secondary cancer from cancer treatments then how does one treat cancer without getting more?
You're saying everyone dies either way? So what is the point of even treating it?
That doesn't sound right to me.

And cancer being worse than acne or any external skin issue or vice versa, is a matter of opinion. Not fact. I know plenty of people who would rather take cancer than serious permanent damage to their face. I've even spoken to a couple people who supposedly have been through chemo themselves years ago and would say they would go through that again if they could just have their skin back.

If it's temporary acne that won't scar, that's a different story..but once we get into the "permanent markings on one's face" territory and even things besides acne like skin damage from products or procedures...its surprising what most people would "rather" go through.

MemberMember
(@accuity_drane)

Posted : 03/05/2017 3:33 pm

On 3/5/2017 at 11:14 PM, BrokenPorEcelain said:

If you get secondary cancer from cancer treatments then how does one treat cancer without getting more?
You're saying everyone dies either way? So what is the point of even treating it?
That doesn't sound right to me.

It doesn't appear to be that cut-and-dry. Developing a secondary cancer from chemotherapy seems to be relatively rare, although still a real concern depending on one's genetics.
[removed]
https://www.cancer.org/treatment/treatments-and-side-effects/physical-side-effects/second-cancers-in-adults/chemotherapy.html

Interestingly, leukemia does seem to be one of the forms of cancer that can develop after chemo. Chemotherapy can be nasty enough on its own, so much so, that many of us are familiar with people who choose to die with cancer instead of ingesting the substance.

In regards to people who suggest Accutane may help cancer risks, you may be onto something too. Accutane kills cells (healthy and otherwise) all over the body, including the muscle, bones, and brain (citation available upon request). I once read an article that suggested Accutane can help lower one's skin cancer risk. Personally, I had Melanoma prior to Accutane, and have continued to develop more cancerous moles after Accutane. So I didn't get that benefit. I'd be perfectly willing to believe Accutane could instigate cancer in those susceptible, as every cancer is different. So yes, chemo can both help cancer and increase cancer risk.

There's really no reason to believe Accutane would behave any differently than other chemo agents, given the available research. For example, we know Accutane disrupts stem cell functionality and immune function via FOX-O upregulation. There's a lot of things Accutane does to the body, and a lot that could go wrong.

In regards to choosing clear skin over health, yeah, I'm not capable of approaching that topic rationally. I developed persistent problems from Accutane, and completely regret the drug. But the minute my skin breaks out, I couldn't care less about my IBS, cognitive dysfunction, crippling anhedonia, etc. It's really not fair that the only effective acne drug is so harsh.

MemberMember
(@justdry)

Posted : 03/06/2017 4:07 am

Such a high % of the population get cancer and so many millions of people have taken accutane - You seriously cannot link the 2 based on 'some people get cancer later in life' -

I had a friend who didn't take accutane, got Lukemia and died in his 20s - it happens with or without accutane.

MemberMember
(@getteal)

Posted : 09/04/2017 3:08 pm

are you for real?? This drug has just been offered to my brother for cystic acne and he laughed in the doctors face. My partner was put on this drug over 15 years ago for psoriasis. Never smoked never drunk alcohol and had a very successful business 7 years into treatment of accutane was diagnosed with cancer behind the nose with note from the consultant to say that accutane highly likely the cause. What a ridiculous thing to say "I'd take cancer over looking like a monster any day " has the world really become that vain and shallow?? You disgust me my partner was given this drug because he has 80% psoriasis I don't look at him and see a monster? Wtf? Thousands of people are born with disfigurements should all these people just throw themselves under a bus?? Acne=Get over it cancer =sympathy and understanding. You must be the most completely idiotic ignorant person I've ever come across. Cancer dosnt simply snuff you out it causes pain suffering agony distress to loved ones and lasts for years my partner was lucky enough to survive after years in and out of hospital but his quality of life is nothing compared to what it used to be. He can no longer work after developing blood clots from being in hospital so long and can't eat any solid food at all he's still regularly attending ENT and a recent botched operation to open his throat due to the cancer treatment causing dysphasia has left him in agony chocking on nothing each and every day . You clearly have no loved ones who would miss you or you would not be able to to have such a pathetic attitude towards life. I wouldn't wish cancer on my worst. Enemy but in your case I'll make an exception. It's not what's on the outside that makes a monster any decent person can see through that , the true monster comes from within like you judging people on looks not what's inside. You don't know the meaning of suffering

MemberMember
(@su-zan)

Posted : 12/11/2017 3:32 pm

I think it's criminal that they don't let us know when prescribing it that it's a CHEMO drug. There are so many things wrong with the conventional medical system. 30 years later, I still have chapped dry peeling lips - it's a pain - I constantly have to put on lip balm or I get flaky skin on my lips that is very obvious. I have a little dryness in skin and sometimes flaky patches on scalp. Soit still seems to be in my system, or is still affecting me.I also had a severe eczema breakout a few years ago - tied to histamine intolerance - could not eat high histamine foods - not sure if it's related. I had carcinoma in situ (kind of cancer) in my cervix about 10 years ago - got the LEEP done - electrical burning in that area.

MemberMember
(@99f)

Posted : 12/11/2017 6:59 pm

It wouldn't surprise me. Acne comes back in over 1/3 of people who use Accutane in the long-term... I would only consider Accutane if I have exhausted every other possibility and my quality of life has tanked

MemberMember
(@jdscrush)

Posted : 01/22/2018 8:24 pm

Im 52 years old and when I was 18 I went on 2 courses of Accutane. I had cystic acne on my face and back. After the second course my acne was better, not 100% clear but I did not get the large cysts that I did in the past. Emotionally it was a great experience for me, as my acne made me depressed. I had very little side effects, only dry lips. Fast forward 30 years, and I was diagnosed with Testicular cancer. Which is rare for an older man to get. I have no idea if the Accutane caused it, I will probably never know. Luckily after surgery and chemo I was cured and have been cancer free for 7 years since my treatment. In reading these blogs I remember how depressed I was at 18 and how I would have given anything to get rid of my acne. When your young nothing seems more important. So I fully understand anyone wanting to take Accutane. Honestly my cancer could have been caused by anything. But I did get cancer somehow, even with no cancer history in my family. I wanted to share this not to discourage anyone from taking Accutane but more so to say that you should only take it if you have a severe case of acne. And I mean SEVERE. And only after you have tried Everything Else for a few years.

MemberMember
(@scarright)

Posted : 01/23/2018 12:11 am

It can be just a coincidence. Many people in this world get unexplained pain and other medical conditions when they have never taken Accutane. How do we know for sure Accutane causes things such as sexual dysfunction and joint pain. People on here have claimed that they got some side effects months after they stopped Accutane? Like really.

Severe side effects are rare. Permanent side effects are rare. Weight up the risk/reward benefit. Does acne cause you a lot of emotional distress? Probably worth the risk then.

Also, I could get hit by a bus or struck by lightning. I still take the chance to go outside though and cross the road.

MemberMember
(@fiksi)

Posted : 01/23/2018 4:37 pm

16 hours ago, ScarRight said:

It can be just a coincidence. Many people in this world get unexplained pain and other medical conditions when they have never taken Accutane. How do we know for sure Accutane causes things such as sexual dysfunction and joint pain. People on here have claimed that they got some side effects months after they stopped Accutane? Like really.

Severe side effects are rare. Permanent side effects are rare. Weight up the risk/reward benefit. Does acne cause you a lot of emotional distress? Probably worth the risk then.

Also, I could get hit by a bus or struck by lightning. I still take the chance to go outside though and cross the road.

Yes it can be, but it is a chemo/cancer drug, that alters things on basic cellular level, includign apoptosis, divison etc. This makes it very systemic, and far more risky.

It has been proven accutane affects brain pathways, hormones, pituitary etc. Depression has been proved in some cases by rechallenge.

We also now know it kills the meibomian gland very gressively- alters 6000 genes just in one gland.

Anyone claiming accutane is safe, needs to first explain how it works- sinc ethe answer is "don't know", claiming it's safe is ludicrous. In fact, more and more evidence show it could be very risky long term.

This does mean it shoudl only ever be considered in very extreme cases, or perhaps cancers where it treates well likr neuroblastoma. This doesn't mean you will definitely get cancer 10 years later from accutane but vast majority don't even need to take any risk of accutane.

MemberMember
(@sonia-sohi)

Posted : 01/18/2019 10:19 am

I have been on it twice. I did develop a brain lesion first diagnosed as a small adhd not in need of treatment to now 2.67 cm MS lesion. I have just noticed an irregular shaped mole with a pink reddish border on the back of my left thigh. I don't have a clue if it's related to accutane.

The drug permanently changed my skin to sensitive, reactive, super dry and textured. I can only use baby wash to clean my face. I exfoloate very carefully and less often bc it gives painful long lasting lumps. When I exfoliate, I take aantihistamine and an anti inflammatory followed by applying zinc oxide to reactive areas. Wearing makeup is very difficult bc the texture stands out regardless. My hair over the years has become dried out.When I wear a hat in the winter and my skin is going through a hard time and I go shopping, I get follwed around bc my skin makes me look like a meth user.

Was taking it worth what I am going through now? No. Change your diet and it will work. It may take from weeks to months to show results, but it works. Use gentle cleansers, hydrate and use sunscreen. When using stuff like differin, follow directions and only apply a pea sized amount.

Stay away from drugs like accutane and birth control.